This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am also sorry that you got fired.

Then again, even though you now have a serious financial problem, you are free of a horrible mismanager.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

One of the mistakes I made at this place was thinking that I could trust my coworkers and that -- gasp! -- I might even be starting to make friends. I sent the following text message to one of the assistant managers today:

Hello (AGM). I'm not saying this as a former employee but as someone who considered you, if not a friend, at least a friendly acquaintance. You had to have known that (Manager) was planning to get rid of me, so it hurts that you let me go on thinking things were more or less okay, to the point that you signed me up for a class you knew I would not be able to take, and had me planning the year's end knowing that wouldn't matter either. I know managers do what they have to do, but it just hurts. I didn't know that asking you or (Other AGM) for help would be used against me, and it also hurts that the company would resort to falling back on lies to be rid of me. I did not call (Night Auditor at other property) every week, and that story the guest told (Manager) was a complete fabrication. I guess in the end, (Night Auditor at other property who told me I was not fit for this job) was right and that hurts.
      It felt good to say it, I guess, but I wonder if being frank and honest will endanger my chances of getting unemployment. I have a suspicion that speaking my mind honestly was part of what got me fired, after I told the AGM's that the hotel cannot communicate except by threat, and that the fact of that pissed me off.
      Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

I'm sure no one complained about pastries. Your manager is an ass and lies. Sorry you lost your job.

Comment

Sorry you lost your job. I've been where you are. I spent the better part of my sleepness nights to contrive plots to ruin my boss. Best of luck to you on finding new employment!
          "Imagine that. Human souls, trapped like flies in the World Wide Web, stuck forever, crying out for help."-The Doctor
          "Isn't that basically Twitter?"-Clara

Comment

I agree with everyone else who said you should be able to collect unemployment. The application will ask if you were fired for cause, but there's also space for you to explain the details in writing. Be very clear that you had never received any warnings or disciplinary action. If your manager violated the company's termination policy, include that information. (For example, my last job had a HR policy that allowed for X# written warnings in a 12-month period before you would be issued a final written warning. You then had X# months where you could be fired for any offense.)

The labor dept will contact the hotel management for a written statement. They will be asked to provide any documents that justify your termination for cause. The labor dept may also call you for a phone interview or three to get more detailed information. Just be very patient and explain everything very clearly. I got the feeling that my rep was trying to trip me up by rephrasing the same questions over and over again. It was annoying, but I imagine they get a lot of fraudulent claims.

If the hotel can't prove that they actually had a cause for which to fire you, your claim should be approved. It's a stressful process that may take several weeks. In the meantime, there should be organizations in your area that provide temporary assistance for rent or utilities, food bank, etc. In my experience, utility companies will work with you if you call them and tell them you're having a financial hardship. You might qualify for SNAP/EBT; it certainly doesn't hurt to apply.

An easy way that I made some money while I was laid-off was by "donating" plasma twice a week. It wasn't a lot of money, but it helped. Visiting the local food bank helped, too. It was such a relief to have one less thing to worry about.

I didn't mean for my reply to be so long, sorry! I hope I was able to help and wish you the best of luck with everything.
            Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
              It felt good to say it, I guess, but I wonder if being frank and honest will endanger my chances of getting unemployment.
              I am sorry you were lied too and fired, but I suspect that text might not have been a good idea. A smart manager will hold onto it and show it to the unemployment office to have your claim denied.

Is there any way to get more hours at your other job?
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

*hugs* Been there.

If you decide to apply for SNAP I'd suggest going to a third party agency/group that helps people with that sort of thing. The application can be confusing (depending on the state, questions might be designed to weed out/deny some applicants) and sometimes a neutral party can find details in your favor that you might overlook.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                  *hugs* Been there.

If you decide to apply for SNAP I'd suggest going to a third party agency/group that helps people with that sort of thing. The application can be confusing (depending on the state, questions might be designed to weed out/deny some applicants) and sometimes a neutral party can find details in your favor that you might overlook.
                  The OP lives in my state. This is good advice. North Carolina does everything it can to deny unemployment and other benefits so getting help with SNAP is a great idea.

Fight for your unemployment, but start looking right away.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                    The OP lives in my state. This is good advice. North Carolina does everything it can to deny unemployment and other benefits so getting help with SNAP is a great idea.

Fight for your unemployment, but start looking right away.
                    From what I've heard, the state will do anything to not pay out unemployment . . . or delay it as long as they can.

Found this out when I was "laid off" from my former employer (more like no jobs availble w/in the company due to closing numerous stores) and I had received a 6 week severance package.

When I called the local UE office to inquire about applying for benefits (even though I was actively looking for another job as soon as I found out my store was being closed down) I was told I'd have to wait the entire 6 weeks before I could even apply. Meaning I'd have to use up my six weeks pay before I could file and possibly be almost homeless and starving by the time I could even apply.

I was lucky though . . . I was able to land a job the Monday after I signed my paperwork and turned it in and walked out of WD for the last time the day that store closed.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Yeah, I'd definitely get the ball rolling on filing for unemployment. It definitely wasn't voluntary, and they're going to need to show a lot of paperwork for them to have a snowballs chance in hell to not have to pay it.

I got out of working hotel overnights in 2012 after a good seven years of doing it on and off, and frankly, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. It allowed me to concentrate on finding a new day job, helped somewhat revitalize a rather stagnant socialize, and actually allow myself to sleep at night like a normal human does and live a normal schedule like the rest of the world.

The immediate aftermath of termination always sucks, but it could be end up being a blessing in disguise. Just start hitting the pavement and look for a new job. Update your resume and see what's around your area and start filling out some apps.

Comment

If you all want to know the truth, the one and only thing I miss about the job is the routine it had established because I worked the same nights and hours as my partner.

That's it. I loathed every second I spent in that place. Quite simply, I am no longer a "hotel person." I can't take stupid complaints seriously, I can't take small issues seriously, and the parasitic and two-faced nature of hotels as an entity affected me at a visceral level. Hotels are smarmy smiles and false hospitality that only lasts as long as your money does. There's nothing genuine or authentic about them or their hospitality at all. I'm so far beyond being able to tolerate that it isn't funny. I could once, definitely, and did for more than five years. Had I been paid what I was worth then, I might still be doing it and might have truly evolved into a hotel person over all these years.

But because they didn't, I didn't, and here we are.

Now, there's something else that bears mentioning here. I did get warnings and writeups for the mistakes I've made over the past year. A bear for documentation is the Elongated Hexagon. However, I'm thinking that if I go in and file for unemployment, if I play the party line of mishandling breakfast items, they'll be less inclined to fight it. Unless they're just that petty.

And a new wrinkle. I see a therapist, mainly because I'm just a tad insane and I need helping getting my brain back inside my head sometimes.

The therapist is the manager's wife. I see her Tuesday. This ought to be all kinds of fun.
                        Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Might be time to find a new therapist. Way awkward for you, and a conflict of interest for her.
                          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
                            If you all want to know the truth, the one and only thing I miss about the job is the routine it had established because I worked the same nights and hours as my partner.

That's it. I loathed every second I spent in that place. Quite simply, I am no longer a "hotel person." I can't take stupid complaints seriously, I can't take small issues seriously, and the parasitic and two-faced nature of hotels as an entity affected me at a visceral level. Hotels are smarmy smiles and false hospitality that only lasts as long as your money does. There's nothing genuine or authentic about them or their hospitality at all. I'm so far beyond being able to tolerate that it isn't funny. I could once, definitely, and did for more than five years. Had I been paid what I was worth then, I might still be doing it and might have truly evolved into a hotel person over all these years.
                            yes I know how u feel. I dislike this customer service job except for the money. To me, it's just a job that's pays enough so that I can live by myself. If it didn't I'd leave in a heartbeat and find something else to do. However, I'm ill suited for this job because I'm very introverted (due to childhood traumas) and dislike confrontations. My cw is very outgoing and this job is a thrill for her. Well, not a thrill per se, but more like she appreciates that fact this job is better than most jobs. I agree. I've worked in restaurant, in retail, in wholesale, and in HR before. Sometimes I feel like I may go insane from boredom here but it least I won't go crazy because some dumb customer. AND boredom. Good luck.
                            Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                            The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks to firing decision was already made? The manager was grasping at whatever straw there was.
                              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I was laid off briefly in 2009 in NC. All the unemployment applications were done online and fairly reasonable. Worst part was having to put in details for all my dependents (just a very drawn out process for each one). I agree though that making you wait for any income from the previous job be cleared first sucks.
                                But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                                And it's not what I wanted to be
                                The weight on me
                                Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Working...
                                X