• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Tama View Post
    Why were playing cards banned?
    Because of the gambling they were doing with them

Quoth April View Post
    Because of the gambling they were doing with them
    To go into more detail, they make bets, etc with them, but when someone can't pay their losses, someone usually gets an ass whooping.

It's not going to stop gambling--I've watched them create a system using rocks before, but it's a huge issue and we are overseen by the federal prison system as well, so we have to make the effort.

The Feds recently told us we can't let the clients watch rated R movies
    Last edited by EricKei; 10-29-2015, 11:58 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Comment

Quoth MustangErin View Post
      No, customer, there is no law that says that I HAVE to take it back and give your money back. I would love to know where this law is because if there is one I would like to know where is says it.
      Well... Yes and no. Many US states have a law requiring a "warranty of merchantability". Basically means that the items you sell have to work, at least at first, or you must take it back.

I was sweating a recent return of a (pretty expensive) light bulb to the Orange Apron. I'd opened the package before discovering the element inside was broken. By your store's standards I wouldn't be able to return it; and despite being able to see the bulb had never been installed in the fixture I'm sure Orange Apron has had lots of people return burned-out bulbs stating they were "defective". Thankfully the clerk didn't give me any hassle.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
        Well... Yes and no. Many US states have a law requiring a "warranty of merchantability". Basically means that the items you sell have to work, at least at first, or you must take it back.

I was sweating a recent return of a (pretty expensive) light bulb to the Orange Apron. I'd opened the package before discovering the element inside was broken. By your store's standards I wouldn't be able to return it; and despite being able to see the bulb had never been installed in the fixture I'm sure Orange Apron has had lots of people return burned-out bulbs stating they were "defective". Thankfully the clerk didn't give me any hassle.
        I think the person in the OP was talking about merchandise with nothing wrong with it. Like a person just used something a couple of times and tries to return it for no reason. I couldn't find anything which said a seller was required to take back perfectly good merchandise. I found several references through google which say there is a federal law which says the only time a merchant is required to do a refund is if something is defective. So you'd have been fine with that light bulb. States might have more specific laws, though.

The UK appears to have more laws regarding this. They also have laws which let them kick out customers after closing time, which is awesome.
        Last edited by notalwaysright; 10-30-2015, 12:31 AM.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

They also have laws which let them kick out customers after closing time, which is awesome.
          Tell that to some of our managers on a Sunday -.-;

We will be still serving customers 15min after the government mandated closing time because certain managers won't let us kick them out.

And back on topic ... Got told by a customer that I 'don't have to' tell them off for being in a 'STAFF ONLY' area .... seriously dude GTFO out of our warehouse. We don't allow non-staff in here for H&S reasons, of course, I am going to ask you to get back onto the shop floor, and no, not being able to find a member of staff on the shop floor doesn't give you the right to ignore that rule! Just go to the tills and they will call one of us down to help you *face palm*

Roll on when the door for the warehouse is fixed and we can close it properly .

Comment

Quoth Rana View Post
            Got told by a customer that I 'don't have to' tell them off for being in a 'STAFF ONLY' area ....
            I once got told off for our basement (generally staff-only) bathrooms not being ADA compliant...technically that's an employee-only area with the locker/break rooms and merch storage but the door isn't secure so anyone can get down there. SC was in a wheelchair so the only thing I can think of is that she conned someone else to bring her down in the freight elevator (which is a HUGE no-no).

We have an ADA-compliant customer bathroom in the main backroom that is easily accessible; if it was occupied and you didn't want to or couldn't wait unfortunately there's nothing we can do.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Agent Paperclip View Post
              All that over $1.00.
              Where do you live? I wish I had bus fare that cheap! $1.75 to start, here.

Comment

I was sweating a recent return of a (pretty expensive) light bulb to the Orange Apron. I'd opened the package before discovering the element inside was broken.
                I'll do you one better: I once bought a CFL multipack and discovered one of them was broken...AFTER I opened the blister pack and smelled something funny.

Fortunately I was able to just return it with no hassle.
                Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth nutraxfornerves View Post
                  All our records show that the Acme Pig Farm is, shall we say, completely kosher.
                  I suggest you have your records reviewed by a Rabbi.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    I suggest you have your records reviewed by a Rabbi.
                    "Eh, What's up Doc?"
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I am in Canada so not sure if there are any laws over that. If something is defective we will take it back but exchange only and if we make an exception it will be a store credit for that day. Our returns were so bad we had to make it strict. A lot of people were buying, using for what they needed it for and then returning.
                      Last edited by EricKei; 11-01-2015, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Quoth MustangErin View Post
                        I am in Canada so not sure if there are any laws over that.
                        You're quite right, much to my surprise there's no universal "goods must be merchantable quality" law in Canada!

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/oca-bc...g/ca02478.html
                        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                          e were stopped from handing out too much change cuz the cash office were complaining.
                          We can't give rolls of quarters anymore. If a customer asks before we've closed the drawer we can change a dollar or two and if they ask for a portion of their change in quarters that's fine too, but no full rolls. We also can't accept an 'unreasonable amount' of loose coin; what defines unreasonable is up to the cashier (if it won't physically fit in my tray I'm not taking it, there's a Coinstar ten feet away).
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                            Well, if a pig farm is completely kosher, then that's probably something that should be investigated, because that shouldn't be possible.
                            IIRC there is a breed of pig that doesn't have a split hoof so it can be kosher.
                            Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

"If a person dies, the debt dies with him. It's a law!"

"The take out restaurant *has to* give you a cup of ice water if you ask, even if you don't buy anything."

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
                                IIRC there is a breed of pig that doesn't have a split hoof so it can be kosher.
                                Actually the other way around. All pigs have split hooves; this one has a double stomach as well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babirusa

Still doesn't make it kosher, though; all said and done, it's still a pig.

Comment

Working...
                                X