Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instead of concentrating on what SHOULD or COULD have happened, I'm going to concentrate on what DID happen: Given the cirucmstances, reaction time, etc, I think you handled this very well.

He seemed to be very defused once you gave him the phone number. Make yourself a stiff drink, and think about a battle (I mean handling, not fighting) plan for next time. Does your company not publish the number to the head office many places? Maybe you should carry cards to pass out if people complain to you enough on your way home. (God, but what an annoying pain in the ass that would be!)

All in all, at least the outcome was positive, even though your heart and its palpitations may not agree at the moment.
    ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth texasbelle5 View Post
      Just gotta love the posters who say "If that had happened to me I would have blah blah blah"

No you wouldn't have. You would have done the same thing likely as the OP. So stop bloviating.
      actually, I've been verbally assaulted at work twice, and neither of my reactions were anywhere near what was stated in the OP, so I can say with relative certainty, if anyone ever physically assaults me, they won't like the result.

as far as seeing that, I don't know if i would just sit there, or get myself between the 2 people and push the SC away. it's also unlikely that i will ever find out in that exact situation, as i don't take trains very often

Comment

Just gotta love the posters who say "If that had happened to me I would have blah blah blah"

No you wouldn't have. You would have done the same thing likely as the OP. So stop bloviating.
        Actually, being a trained martial artist, I would have done exactly what I said I'd do. That's kind of the whole point of training, actually, Internet Tough Guy syndrome aside.

So yes, if a complete stranger grabs my arm in public, in a threatening manner, I am very likely to respond with violence, because that is what I've been trained to do.

Comment

That Good Samaritan has earned ALL of my respect! That's a hero for you!

If it were me in your shoes, I would have been too freaked out to speak clearly to him. Strangers scare me, especially ones that seem to want to rip my head off and already have my arm in a firm grip. I might have been able to seem calm, but I'd be terrified. I've never been assaulted before so the thought is scary.

Comment

The most important thing is that Lexi is okay.

Lexi, I really wish you would file a police report. If he behaves like this on public transport in front of dozens of witnesses, my guess is that he probably has a record already and it wouldn't hurt to add to it.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Lexi~ Thank gawd nothing physical happened beyond that! Sounds to me like you handled yourself well.. but it might not be a bad idea to file a police report.
              "No, I will not poop a shopping cart out for you." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

That is so horrible, some people are just insane.

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                  Some people HAVE had to react to situations like this, unfortunately, so they can pretty well say what they would or wouldn't do. Just something to consider.

This is why I wish that everyone, regardless of age, gender, etc., would take a self-defense course or two. I've gone as far as to force training on a couple of my friends who were of the "it can't happen to me!" mold by just randomly pouncing on them until they got sick of it and agreed to go . Rude and pushy, yes, but paid off in the end because at least one of them that I know of needed that training later.
                  I did basic self defense at school and have had several friends who have shown me various ways of protecting/defending myself so in the event he had of hit me I could POSSIBLY have warded him off. My Boys Mum takes Karate and her Gym offers a couple of free self defense classes which I am debating taking.

@ Everyone: I don't like violence and I am glad I didn't react in a physical way because besides the fact I'm 5'5 and 57 kilos (120 Pounds) and he was MASSIVE! I think it would of escalated an already incredibly scary situation.

As I said, In anger and fear I was tempted to lash out and hit him but I'm glad I didn't and it was resolved without me having to resort to that!

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                    The most important thing is that Lexi is okay.

Lexi, I really wish you would file a police report. If he behaves like this on public transport in front of dozens of witnesses, my guess is that he probably has a record already and it wouldn't hurt to add to it.
                    I spoke to my local Police last night You guys convinced me!!! I really hate making a fuss but when I told them the situation they said I was right to report it!

Basically they took down all the details including what train I was on etc and his description and said that they really cant do much without his name (Which is what I expected) however if I see him again then I can call them and they can arrest him for harassment and possibly stalking type charges.

I really wish I had gotten GS's Name and Phone Number so they could talk to him as well!

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                      Some people HAVE had to react to situations like this, unfortunately, so they can pretty well say what they would or wouldn't do. Just something to consider.
                      I've had a loony girl attack me in a bar before; my kneejerk reaction was to punch her in the face. I can honestly say that anyone who grabbed hold of my arm and bellowed in my ear would be reeling back, clutching a bloody nose. I am that paranoid about my personal space... and I learned in school that the only way to deal with people who threaten your personal safety is to punch them.
                      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

You wanna try grabbing somebody without warning like what happened to the OP and find out?
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I almost punched someone who grabbed me at work once, but it was nothing but a reflex action.

It wasn't a customer, but a smartass coworker who thought it would be funny to grab me while I was crouched down stocking a low shelf.

I spun around in that postion and took a swing without even thinking, and I narrowly missed giving him a free sex change.
                          Sometimes life is altered.
                          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                          Uneasy with confrontation.
                          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

My knee-jerk reaction to this... event?

*thinks about it*

In all honesty, I would probably freak out and either scream from terror or completely freeze. Either way I'd need a Good Samaritan to protect my skinny ass because 1) I'm small (5' even), 2) I'm thin (nearly 105 lbs) and 3) my BF (and some roommates) have told me I have TARGET written on my forehead.

I'm a pansy when surprised and probably would have turned into a bawling little thing in a business suit. But, boy, once I "sobered" up? Lawsuits and papers would be filed. The best kind of revenge is the legal kind through legal means.
                            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                              My knee-jerk reaction to this... event?

*thinks about it*

In all honesty, I would probably freak out and either scream from terror or completely freeze. Either way I'd need a Good Samaritan to protect my skinny ass because 1) I'm small (5' even), 2) I'm thin (nearly 105 lbs) and 3) my BF (and some roommates) have told me I have TARGET written on my forehead.

I'm a pansy when surprised and probably would have turned into a bawling little thing in a business suit. But, boy, once I "sobered" up? Lawsuits and papers would be filed. The best kind of revenge is the legal kind through legal means.
                              Your knee jerk reaction, against a bloke, should be, well, a knee jerk, I'd tell you the precise place to aim for that would down 99% of guys and make the other 1% really hesitate about being near you (And you don't have to have legs like tree trunks to hit them hard enough to down them), but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to properly tell you without being rather...er, descriptive

Trust me, I've been hit between the legs so many times and with so many different things (shoes, boots, boots with steel toe caps, pool cues) I'm somewhat an expert on the subject.
                              Last edited by RayvenQ; 05-23-2008, 12:06 AM.
                              I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

all i have to say is the jerk is lucky mysty wasn't there... i can see a hip toss followed by a powerbomb..
                                The mere fact that we have the flamethrower means that someone, somewhere once said "You know, I'd really like to set those customers over there on fire, but don't possess the means to do it"

Comment

Working...
                                X