This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The crying game

This woman wasn't sucky, per se, but, well, you'll see what I mean.

Closing time has changed, and while we enforce it the only time we (and by "we" I mean the managers) let people stay until 10:00 is when they mention that the catalogue still states the 10:00 closing time.

So this woman starts to walk through my cash lane after 9:00 the other night and we have this conversation.

Me: I'm sorry but we're closed, and I can't let anyone in.
    Woman: You're CLOSED? But I already drove here from Bolton (about an hour's drive from where my store is) and today was the only day I could get a truck!
    Me: I'm sorry, but we close at 9:00 now.
    Woman: But I'm a breastfeeding mother! I only need one thing!

This is the point where this woman burst into tears.

Me: If you'd like I can ask a manager, but I can't let anyone in, I'm sorry.
    Woman: But I'm breastfeeding!

Ok, I totally sympathized with her that coming all this way and having it be for naught was a major bummer, but what does her being a breastfeeding mother have to do with anything?

Anyway, she then walked away, stood over by a furniture display and bawled her eyes out.

A manager ended up letting her in the store, and her "just one thing" kept the last cashier waiting for about 15 minutes after everyone had left.

So she wasn't sucky, but she was... something.

What item was so important anyway?

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
      What item was so important anyway?
      A damn bookshelf!

Not a single thing my store sells is a necessity of life, so there is nothing you could truly need from us.
      People have a warped sense of need vs want.

Comment

If she is a new mother, I can see the hormones throwing her for a loop and making her cry and frustrated, but to be out at 9 pm, and an hour away from a newborn? Just strikes me as odd.
        Did she have the kid with her?
        "If you find yourself fantasizing about throwing actual users into a blender, please get help... they're heavy." - Tom Dickson

Comment

Quoth froglet View Post
          If she is a new mother, I can see the hormones throwing her for a loop and making her cry and frustrated, but to be out at 9 pm, and an hour away from a newborn? Just strikes me as odd.
          Did she have the kid with her?
          Agreed. She was obviously having some hormone issues.
          When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

That'll put somebody's defenses down real quick-a woman crying. Works everytime...lol.

Comment

Mayor Quimby: The chick in The Crying Game is really a man!

Audience: Boo!

Mayor Quimby: I mean, man what a good movie!

Off-topic, but that's the first thing that came to my head when I read this post.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                That'll put somebody's defenses down real quick-a woman crying. Works everytime...lol.
                Agreed. Lots of us easily break down for a crying woman (or kid)... But what I don't get. "Need" a bookcase?
                MMO Addicts group

Comment

Woman: But I'm a breastfeeding mother! I only need one thing!
                  maybe it's me, but i'm having a hard time relating breastfeeding to bookshelves, and the need that binds them.

as for the crying woman schtick, it sounds more like she was relying on it; hormonal or not, her inability to get a truck, fly, etc. is HER problem, no one else's.

i wouldn't have had much sympathy for her, given that i've been a single mother who had to do everything, and never stooped to the 'helpless female' routine to get what i wanted.

she needs to put on those big girl panties and deal.
                  look! it's ghengis khan!
                  Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

typically breastfeeding is done on a schedule . . .so it may be that her timing was such that she could get this item . ..pay for it . . .have it loaded . . .and get home just in time for the next feeding

I agree with the possible new mother no sleep hormone
                    The lady may really not have been aware of what she was saying or how she was acting . . .just that her plans didn't work yet again that day.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                      So she wasn't sucky, but she was... something.
                      No, she was sucky. Not a hardcore suck, but still suck, nonetheless.

I can't imagine that your store is the closest one to sell bookshelves when you're a full hour away from her home. How much gas did she waste just to get there and back?

I do have one question, however. How long past 9pm was it when she first arrived?

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Woman: You're CLOSED? But I already drove here from Bolton (about an hour's drive from where my store is) and today was the only day I could get a truck!
                        I'm assuming you mean Bolton in the North West of England here right? If that's the case, doesn't she realise that Argos does deliver to where you live
                        I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Bolton Ontario. My dad drives though there from my town to Milton once every two weeks. I would have thought the Vaughn store would have been closer though. Assuming Rerant works where I think they work...
                          "If you find yourself fantasizing about throwing actual users into a blender, please get help... they're heavy." - Tom Dickson

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
                            the need that binds them.
                            I will not say it, I will not say it, I will not say it....I'm a'gonna say it.

ONE RING TO BIND THEM ALL! BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!

*Coughs*

Ahem....what were we talking about?
                            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

When I was reading I thought you guys were a baby supply store and she needed breast pumps or something - but a furniture store? And a bookcase is not even a "needed" piece of furniture. I could kind of see "I need a chair" or "I need a table" but "I need a pretty piece of furniture to display my books in because they're unhappy in their current storage device" is just ridiculous.

As far as the crying for sympathy, that doesn't really work over the phone, not that we could do anything about it. "Oh you're crying? Well, your tears will magically bind the cut fiberoptic line together, your internet should be back up in about fifteen minutes!" I personally think it sounds funny when people try to talk while crying so I tend to get amused instead of sympathetic. Yes, I'm a horrible person, but I've never had anyone break down into tears for a legitimate reason anyways.
                              Last edited by Anriana; 05-23-2008, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X