X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorta SC with 2 punchlines

Another one from the last place I was at:

Right as I'm closing up, with J the maintenance guy waiting to turn on the alarm, a resident walks in and after figuring out that I was not the manager and exclaiming "Well that explains it!" (wait, what?) Tells me that at 9:00pm he was looking to turn in and his next door neighbor was blasting some thumping bass that was keeping him from sleeping, and when he knocked on her door to turn it down, she gave him all kinds of attitude saying things like "I don't have to turn it down until 10! I work and go to school and if I want to listen to music at 9 o'clock then I will!" Basically she was being a right little bitchy snot. Okay, I can empathize with that. The guy works hard, and gets up early and doesn't want to hear BOOM BOOM BOOM through his walls. Okay I get it. So far, not sucky, but here are the punchlines:

1. The guy was wearing 2 hearing aides, the old fashioned kind that I could see the volume control knobs on.

2. He stormed out without telling me his name or his apartment number so once he was out of earshot I looked at J, and said "Wow, poor guy had a rough night. BTW-who the hell was that?!"
    "I've never had a heart attack, but it isn't for my son's lack of trying." - Me

Were there any noise guidelines in the lease? Every place I live has some kind of "no loud noises after 11 pm" rule.
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Yeah, around here it's 10pm, and that's merely because that's the law. After 10 any noise that can be heard from outside your dwelling can get you a visit from the cops. Most leases do have a caveat that you need to be considerate of your neighbors' "quiet enjoyment" of their home.

Hey I don't blame the guy for being ticked off, my thought though was why not turn his hearing aides down? How many of us have been in irritating situations where we wished we could just turn our ears down?

Of course I wouldn't dream of suggesting that to the guy since he is absolutely right that his neighbor was being a twat.
      "I've never had a heart attack, but it isn't for my son's lack of trying." - Me

Comment

I _hate_ people with loud thumping bass.
        "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Thats just it, it's loud thumping bass... Its not just hearing it, it could be that he's feeling it too if it is loud enough.
          It'd be like trying to sleep with the bed in the next room pounding against the wall your bed is on.
          "If you find yourself fantasizing about throwing actual users into a blender, please get help... they're heavy." - Tom Dickson

Comment

Quoth froglet View Post
            Thats just it, it's loud thumping bass... Its not just hearing it, it could be that he's feeling it too if it is loud enough.
            It'd be like trying to sleep with the bed in the next room pounding against the wall your bed is on.

Exactly. When I lived in the front bedroom at my parents' house, the neighbors across the street's son and his friends always had the loud car stereo going. It would actually rattle the windows. If it was just the music it probably wouldn't have bothered me so much (in small doses) but the pounding I couldn't take.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

My neighbors do this to me, and I don't even live in an apartment. I live in a house! They play their music so loud that I can hear it in my brick house from their own... but the sound ordinance here doesn't kick in until midnight. So instead I just retaliate to their rap music with my punk.

Fight fire with fire!
              This message brought to you by a hopeless pop-culture-obsessed social reject.

Comment

Jumping on the bandwagon, if the noise ordinances in the lease and the city don't start til 10, there really wasn't anything you could do in the first place. Sorry to say, but if you call in a complaint before the ordinance starts, all the police will do is go over, say turn it down BY the time the ordinance starts, and leave. Now, if it's AFTER, then we can cite them...

tl;dr Noise ordinance ftl
                Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

Quoth TTAZ View Post
                  How many of us have been in irritating situations where we wished we could just turn our ears down?
                  I sometimes tell my fiance she's lucky she can turn her ears off. Usually when we're doing the grocery shopping and there's some kid throwing a tantrum.

Comment

ok, people, if you're going to stereo war, do it right. Opera. A good soprano aria beats *everything*.

Comment

Quoth Seraphim View Post
                      tl;dr Noise ordinance ftl
                      Okay, I've seen that on another place I go to and always forget to ask, so, what does tl;dr mean?
                      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

too long; didn't read
                        Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

Ah, got it now, no wonder I couldn't figure it out. Thanks
                          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Oh yeah, I completely agree that since it was before the ordinance, nothing can be done.
                            But I also wonder how the gentleman asked her to turn it down, if he was 'turn that crap down ya yungin!' then I get the image of her as an anime character and pulling one eye down and sticking out her tongue (active imagination...). But if he asked nicely, she is being impolite. Within her rights, but impolite.

Some people just don't get common courtesy. Or headphones.
                            "If you find yourself fantasizing about throwing actual users into a blender, please get help... they're heavy." - Tom Dickson

Comment

i dont think the woman was sucky
                              i mean you only know one side of the story
                              maybe he likes to come to her door at 6pm when she gets off work and bitch about the noise
                              maybe she had a bad day and a man complaining about her stuff or relase caused something to snap
                              as long as she wasnt breaking the law the old guy was cranky

Comment

Working...
                              X