Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There's a reason the screen isn't showing ANYTHING ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's a reason the screen isn't showing ANYTHING ...

One of our self-checkouts was malfunctioning again yesterday. At one point the Head Cashier finally just shut it down completely.

Along comes a customer and starts waving an item at ... the blank BLACK screen.

Me: "Sir? SIR? That one's not working."

He comes to the second machine, which IS working.

Literally not a minute later, here comes a second guy and starts waving an item at ... the blank BLACK screen.

I looked over at the Head Cashier who was watching this and we both rolled our eyes so hard we could see our respective brain-pans.

I was finding it hard not to laugh as I called out "Sir? SIR? That machine's not working ..."

I'm guessing they were thinking in terms of a computer: "Oh, it's gone to sleep; here, this should wake it up ..."

Neither customer was sucky but I wasn't sure where to put this.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

The SCO wasn't the only one shut down for maintenance?
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I want to say you should have put a sign on it saying it was out of order, I I do think you should have, but experience tells me that wouldn't have helped.

We have occasionally suffered malfunctions that render us unable to process credit/debit cards. Usually it is the card network, sometimes it is the equipment in the store, and once in a while it is the internet connection between those two.

We put signs on the door, explaining in large letters and saying "CASH ONLY" in huge letters. Smaller versions of the sign are put over all the pin-pads.
      People lift the sign to swipe their card.

Comment

Quoth SpyOne View Post
        I want to say you should have put a sign on it saying it was out of order, I I do think you should have, but experience tells me that wouldn't have helped.

*snip*
        Check story 2) here

To give you the Reader's Digest version, we did -- eventually -- only to have the Acting Head Cashier come by later and rip it off.

She then turned the machine back on and set it to the 'Lane Closed' sign.
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

If a self checkout is out of order, I will put a basket on it. Once it comes back up, off goes the basket.
          My Fanfic Page
          My Fiction Page
          My Social Group
          My Pet Social Group
          My You Tube Channel

Comment

Sometimes (and I don't know if this is the case here), the machine has to be on in order for the IT crew to do that all that blue voodoo that they do for you.

Comment

IF, and I do mean IF, the company is actually paying for an IT department that actually can handle something as modern as a SCO remotely, this could be a valid thing.

I'm thinking that there's more IT devoted to keeping that ancient DOS-based software that handles registers alive than taking care of little things like actual hardware/software issues. (Those guys are expensive, you know)

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                One of our self-checkouts was malfunctioning again yesterday. At one point the Head Cashier finally just shut it down completely.

Along comes a customer and starts waving an item at ... the blank BLACK screen.
                *snip*
                Our local Safeway tapes a brown paper grocery bag over the screen. People may not know what to do if the screen is frozen, but they DO recognize that brown bag!
                Last edited by EricKei; 05-12-2019, 09:25 PM. Reason: snip

Comment

I'm just remembering when I worked a gas station, putting stuff OVER the display and/or bagging the nozzle with 'OUT OF ORDER' stuff. Yup, you guessed it, RIP the damn stuff off and complain that it's not friggin working. "Gee, like the sign you tore off said?" "What's that got to do with anything?"

Comment

Working...
                  X