This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
    I was just listening to that last week....
    Oh, you have a walker with a builtin MP3 1000W player and subwoofer too.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Heh! No walker yet! I stole that record (yes, vinyl!) from my mother's collection when I went off to college. Along with a lot of other really cool music...
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
        I once ordered a fabric pen loop (the kind that sticks onto the cover of a notebook) from Amazon and it arrived in a shipping box the size of my computer tower with one lone air pillow as cushioning.
        Amazon employees sometimes do that in protest, since it costs Amazon extra to ship that way.

I'm in the process of setting up a new workstation for myself, using a Ryzen Threadripper CPU. It's a great example of overpackaging; comes in this huge prettified box, while the CPU itself is a small, thin square.

Comment

I've never had any complaints about the size and quality of my packaging before...
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

A few weeks ago, I bought a garbage can off Amazon (I was desperate for one that would keep the cats out). It came in a big cardboard box. I opened it and found a bag surrounding another cardboard box - this one covered with descriptions of the product inside. I opened the second box and found another bag inside, holding the garbage can. Inside the garbage can was MORE bags - this time garbage bags intended to fit snugly i the can.

In this case, though, everything fit snugly inside each other. It was the multiple layers of cardboard and plastic that amused me.

It may have been expensive, but so far, it has done an excellent job of keeping the cats out.
            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
            -Mira Furlan

Comment

My husband bought me an Acer Aspire laptop for an early B'day/Christmas present from Amazon. The box from Amazon was huge! Then the Acer box inside that one. I was kinda disappointed that they didn't use the pillows to cushion it though (those things are so much fun to stab to get the air out ). Just a bunch of crumpled up brown paper.
              "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth Lovecats View Post
                pillows to cushion it though (those things are so much fun to stab to get the air out )
                That and bubble wrap.Mrs. TGK received a package with a pair of shoes with enough padding to fill a kitchen garbage bag
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Many years ago I ordered some inner and outer fenders for a 66 Mustang that I was restoring. These fenders were new-old-stock meaning they are factory stampings from that time just left over and never sold. After waiting for several weeks they come in and the boxes were mangled. I took some pictures and had the UPS driver to note the condition of the boxes. We unpacked them and they were also mangled. Called the seller and he said I didn't pay for deluxe packing and shipping so I get what I get. Thankfully I took out shipping insurance and for a change UPS paid off. I reordered from another seller and told him what happened and he said the other guy was notorious for that stuff so when my next shipment of sheet metal came in they were in wooden crates. The crates weighed more than the fenders. Oh the first guy is now out of business.
                  Around the same time a friend had an in with Hornady and they had a special on cases lots of over-run bullets (just the bullets not cartridges.) He asked if I was interested so I had him get me 4 cases thinking there was 500 bullets per case since the price was so good. Well it turns out it wasn't 500 per case but 5000. A box that was 8 inches by 8 inches by 5 inches held 5000 bullets and weighed 80 pounds. The UPS driver carried in one and asked what was in the box lead? Well actually yes, that and copper. Those boxes were very heavy duty doubled walled. I and my kids have long since shot up the bullets but I still have the boxes and they're great.
                  Some other good quality boxes are the ones Amazon Prime Pantry use.
                  Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

One of our vendors does this, and we have a multi-year supply of packing peanuts and bubble wrap because of it.
                    We once got a faucet from them that was wrapped in three layers of bubble wrap, then packed into a box filled with peanuts. That box was then wrapped in its own three layers of bubble wrap and put into another larger box of peanuts, such that there was at least a foot of them on every side of it.

Comment

As someone whose mother used to own a mailbox-shipping-etc store, let me just say that the insane levels of packing are sometimes dictated from the insurance requirements. It's been a while since I was involved in the biz, but I can distinctly recall having to wrap things in a manner that could best be described as "insane" because anything less could result in "insurance claim denied due to insufficient packaging". Just sayin'.
                      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I used to work a little warehouse for salon-only hair product. UPS had some fun requirements on how stuff had to be packed in order for a claim to be paid, no matter how badly the box may have gotten mangled. "Oh, box crushed entirely as if by steamroller, but you didn't put a little piece of tape over the jug's cap. DENIED" Yeah, I got to be an overpacker myself.

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                          As someone whose mother used to own a mailbox-shipping-etc store, let me just say that the insane levels of packing are sometimes dictated from the insurance requirements. It's been a while since I was involved in the biz, but I can distinctly recall having to wrap things in a manner that could best be described as "insane" because anything less could result in "insurance claim denied due to insufficient packaging". Just sayin'.
                          I call that 'drop-kick' packaging. As in, you could drop-kick the package and not damage anything inside.

Comment

Quoth ladyjaneinmd View Post
                            I call that 'drop-kick' packaging. As in, you could drop-kick the package and not damage anything inside.
                            Which is unfortunately necessary -- they did a study by shipping around some recording accelerometers, and found that packages marked "FRAGILE" actually got treated worse than others.

Comment

I still can't figure out how anybody gets milk in a plastic bag home without puncturing the bag. And isn't it awkward trying to pour the milk into something else? How do you hold the bag??
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                                I still can't figure out how anybody gets milk in a plastic bag home without puncturing the bag. And isn't it awkward trying to pour the milk into something else? How do you hold the bag??
                                There are plastic jugs the bags drop into. As for puncturing them... the plastic is pretty tough. I've never had one leak on the way home. I've seen only one or two at the store with milk leaking from an improperly sealed inner bag... And that's over the last forty years.
                                There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Working...
                                X