Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to extend my wireless access time!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to extend my wireless access time!

OK, so basically my connection is through a wireless router which stops broadcasting at 11pm, because my dad said so. Now I don't like that; I'd like 24/7 access.

Possible obstacles include a router password and modification logging. And, to some extent, the status lights on the router as they may give away the traffic that should not be happening, as my father is quite often on another computer, in the same room as the router, while I'm in the basement with my laptop.

I'm not afraid to play as dirty as I'll have to play to get my access.

Thanks ahead of time for the help, and of course feel free to ask for any information you need.
    Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Sounds like your Dad is limiting your time on the net to 11pm. As in a way of saying, "Go to bed."

So even if I felt like I could tell you how to extend your time I would say, don't do it. Nothing worse to a parent then knowing that their kid went behind their backs like that. You want more time, go and ask nicely. Make a deal for it. If the end answer is No, then drop it and just head to bed at 11.

Comment

And I figure if Dad knows how to set something like that up, he probably knows how to monitor your network activity too & see where you go online.

So I hate to say it but the best way around this is to save up for your own dwelling and internet connection.

Comment

It's actually quite easy to set up, you just need to log into the router and there are settings in which you can limit access times.

Comment

I know that. And I know that the settings are logged and dad checks logs. All to make me go to sleep at 11.
          Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

From what I see right here, in this thread, I agree with your Dad.

Comment

I agree with your dad too. Man up and go to sleep.
              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Thirded. It's not advisable to lock horns with a parental unit when their reasons are clear. I agree with what Aethian said about asking nicely and don't be surprised if they ask something from you in return (I know when my house had a dialup connection, I very often had to strike deals for more time online).

I was once tempted to change enforced settings when I was a little hacker pup...very quickly found that my stealth changes were being just-as-stealthily revoked. Fairly clever and subtle "I know what you're doing, now STOP IT" cluebat. However, my dad knew I would be likely to try that at some point.

Their roof, their rules.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth 411guy View Post
                  I know that. And I know that the settings are logged and dad checks logs. All to make me go to sleep at 11.
                  So? Go to bed at 11 pm and get up at 4 am to continue.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                    So? Go to bed at 11 pm and get up at 4 am to continue.
                    Or read a book
                    Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Working...
                    X