This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual performance evaluation

I don't post much so a little bit about me. I work at a pet supply store (the one with the bouncing red ball). Been there for over ten years so I've had a lot of evaluations.

Well, the one I had today has me very depressed. As I said I've been evaluated lots of times and know that I am lacking in some areas such as customer interaction and engagement and communication with managers and other associates. I accepted that, and moved on.

Well, last year <pet store> implemented a new CEO program which says every associate has to greet every person they encounter (even if you are on register and in the middle of conversation with the customer in front of you) ask them if we can help them find anything and recommend a product or service to them. Just basically fawn all over them and let them know how glad we are to serve them.

I am in no way using this as an excuse but there have been a lot of things going on in my life lately. My mother had a stroke two years ago and is now in a nursing home partially paralyzed on her left side. I miss her terribly because she is my best friend and we did everything together. I have been dealing with depression and anxiety and then became anemic which makes me dizzy and very sick to my stomach sometimes.

So a lot of days I just do not feel good at all and don't feel like kissing every customer's ass that I see. But I have been doing a lot better since I started on antidepressants. Trying to be more outgoing and helpful. I've had customers tell me when I talk with them that I was very helpful and they appreciated it.

I was called into the office for my evaluation by the store manager and assistant manager. The assistant manager told me my scores on most everything were 2's which means poor. She said I wasn't friendly enough with customers, didn't show enthusiasm for the new program, didn't utilize my time effectively, so on and so on. I told her that I thought I was being more friendly to customers, more helpful and outgoing to which the store manager replied that yes, he saw some improvement but it wasn't consistant. Meaning I'm not always Little Mary Sunshine and don't fart rainbows and lollipops like they expect.

I was so upset when I left that I was trying not to cry. I just don't know anymore. It seems the more I do and the harder I try it's just not good enough. It doesn't make me want to be better, it just makes me think why bother? How can they come to these conclusions when they hide in the office all day and don't see what's going on?

I apologize for the long post. I just had to get this off my chest. Thanks.
    Last edited by bluepolokhakipants; 05-01-2010, 02:35 AM. Reason: mispelled word
    Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me alone.

It sounds like my job. The key to success is pretending like everything is absolutely fantastic all the time. We're not allowed to be real, not according to official policy anyway.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

*hugs*

Quoth bluepolokhakipants View Post
      a new CEO program which says every associate has to greet every person they encounter (even if you are on register and in the middle of conversation with the customer in front of you) ask them if we can help them find anything and recommend a product or service to them.
      Um...yeah...that's just rude. If I was the first customer, I'd be upset.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        It sounds like my job. The key to success is pretending like everything is absolutely fantastic all the time. We're not allowed to be real, not according to official policy anyway.

That's like a lot of jobs that if you show for even a moment that you really are a human being with feelings & needs then that's grounds for a write up & IF it continues then you can be terminated.

Comment

The greeting everyone who walked in the door behind me while scanning/counting money and still talking to the customer about their pets is awful I worked there for two weeks

Comment

I honestly don't like it at Subway when I walk in. (Or used to walk in since I'm on a diet)

Comment

Everyone who thinks that "greet everyone the second they walk in the door even though it's creepy and rude to whoever you're currently serving" thing is the worst idea ever needs to write both email and physical letters to coporate to let them know how awful it is. If they get enough complaints from enough different people, maybe they'll knock that crap off.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I go to the bouncing ball pet store at least once a month. I know a lot of people shop there, but I like to think I at least look familiar to a couple of the cashiers. I've been there often enough I know where stuff is. Normally all I'm getting is dog food. If I have the time, I may browse the bird aisle and coo over the conures. If it's not busy (which is usually the case for the time of day I usually go), I don't mind them saying hello. But it's stupid for them to interrupt someone they're already with.

I love the bouncing ball pet store. I wish they had more bird stuff, though. But maybe it's good that they don't because I'd buy it.
                I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I worked at a place that often had a person whose main job was to greet customers and give them directions (wasn't needed it was a bowling alley/ restaurant. You could canvass the entire place in two minutes) which seems like a good idea except they were bleeding money so bad they had to start putting managers and mechanics on the counters because they were salaried and would get the same pay no matter what they did

Comment

These stores have it all wrong. I'm all good with a greeting, but when every single person who works at that store greets me and asks for help, it irritates the piss out of me.

If I need help, I'll come to them and ask. I don't need them all up in my face demanding they help me. Just make sure there are people available to answer questions if there are any and we're all happy.
                    Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Working...
                    X