This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Establishing web site/forums

I've been approached by the organizer of a local open mic who wants to expand his promotional reach. I suggested that a good web site and some forums might be a great way to create a community. Then he asked me if I could find out more about getting some forums going . I know the basic concepts, and I've seen way too many cheap and easy forums get spammed to death (I know CS has been hacked before also).
    I'm going to suggest having them done in Linux (I want the job done right, dammit!) but barring anyone we know having the ability to do so, is there a simple solution if we haz monies? I know there's always vbulletin, but how is their security? should we be avoiding vbulletin? why am I out of cheese?

as best as I can guess we're going to have about 200 users, maybe more, and we can expand from there.

I'm finding all sorts of software packages, I'm just really not sure where to start and what's reliable
    "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Quoth dispatch View Post
    I'm going to suggest having them done in Linux (I want the job done right, dammit!)
    What I am about to say is likely to cause more than a few people to panic and believe they've just stepped into bizarro world: Using Linux will not come close to guaranteeing you have a secure site. It is possible to have very insecure sites regardless of what platform you're on. It is also possible to have very secure sites regardless of the platform.

What matters more than the platform is the person maintaining the server, along with the people or companies maintaining the software used on that server.

Your very first step, in my opinion, is to determine who will help you maintain the server, and then assess their skills honestly. That assessment will be the hard part. Even with that, you must know that first, before proceeding. Once you know that, you can determine what platform to use, and then what software available for that platform best meets your needs.

Quoth dispatch View Post
    but barring anyone we know having the ability to do so, is there a simple solution if we haz monies? I know there's always vbulletin, but how is their security? should we be avoiding vbulletin? why am I out of cheese?
    From everything that I have seen or heard about from vBulletin, their security is pretty damned good. Reading the code for it can be a little bit difficult at times (and, if you need to integrate externally written software with it, you're going to need to read the code). Outside of that, it's pretty decent.

Also, vBulletin will run on Windows, Linux, and Mac. So your platform choice becomes much less relevant if you go with vBulletin. From conversations with Raps, I can say that they do a very good job on support and maintenance, ensuring that their customers remain satisfied with the product and the company.

In short, you'd find yourself hard pressed to do better from what I've seen.

Just be careful on assuming that Linux will protect you, please. A poorly set up system will do nothing to prevent intruders.

Comment

VB is worth it. Good support form the coding team, and plenty of hacks/modifications available. It's a resource hog, though. A good server with plenty of RAM should be able to hold its own.

If you go the VB route, I'm quite willing to chat privately about what you can do to reduce spam.

Rapscallion

Comment

cool, thanks guys!

In my next conversation with J I'll be asking about who our admin is expected to be and what their capabilities are.

Raps, I'll e-mail you once I know more about the how-and-when. Pedersen, your honesty and expertise are much appreciated!
        "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
          If you go the VB route, I'm quite willing to chat privately about what you can do to reduce spam.
          If you want to include me in on it as well, I'm willing to help. I'm the one who actually implemented a lot of it. You would not believe the number of spammers that try to get in here.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Didn't really want to speak for you, mate. It's true, though - Mike worked out our main defence with Ree.

Rapscallion

Comment

Sounds good, thanks for the support, Mike!

I'll be talking to J tonight at the show, so I should be getting back to you late tonight or tommorow afternoon.

Comment

There are free options out there, too.

phpBB and SMF but if this is going to be long term and in need of good measures (anti-spam etc..) then you should go with VBulliten, the cost for the lisence is well worth it.
                Quote Dalesys:
                ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
                X