This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless help

My computer is a Dell XPS M140 running Windows XP SP2. It is up to date on all updates, except for Windows SP3.

I have an internal wireless card--Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Net. I am connected to a secured wireless network.

I can usually connect to the internet fine. I have my computer set up to when I close the lid to my laptop, it goes into hibernation. Sometimes I put it in standby.

Three or four days ago, BEFORE I did a bunch of updating on my computer, whenever I resume from hiberation/stand-by, the computer refuses to reconnect to the wireless network.

The little icon at the taskbar just shows that little yellow thing flying around the computer and then the yellow exclaimation mark saying, "Can't connect!" Then, I hit repair the connection and it gets all the way to the assigning IP (something like that??) and fails.

I've tried disabling my wireless card and enabling it and that doesn't help. The only thing to fix it is restarting my whole computer.

Why is this happening and is there anything I can do to fix it?

(BTW, I haven't updated to SP3 because the last time I did, it completely screwed up my wireless connection...I mean, I couldn't even see the wireless network or do anything so I did a system restore and went back to SP2.)

Did you update the drivers for the internal wireless card--Intel(R) in your update frenzy?

We have two batches of USB wireless antennae from different manufacturers. The "X" brand will only work with win XP SP2, if you try it in win XP SP3 you will never get connected.

However the "Y" brand will only work with win XP SP3. And if you install the "Y" brand software or drivers in a win XP SP2 computer, it will bork the whole computer to where it will not start.

So Im just wondering if your problem is similar? Like maybe you updated the wireless drivers and now it will only work with XP SP3?

Comment

I'm so sorry for not seeing your reply sooner! I thought after three or four days, no one had an answer!

It mysteriously started working right again, so I have no idea what the problem was. I didn't change anything. Just one day, a week of never connecting after hiberation, it started working correctly. I am very puzzled as to why.

Though, I will remember the driver info for the future.

Thank you so much!

Comment

Do you have any cordless telephones in the house?

One common issue with wireless networking is that your router and telephone are using the same frequency for transmission and the signals get crossed.

If you have any cordless telephones in the house that operate on a frequency of 2.4ghz then this may be your problem.

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
          Do you have any cordless telephones in the house?

One common issue with wireless networking is that your router and telephone are using the same frequency for transmission and the signals get crossed.

If you have any cordless telephones in the house that operate on a frequency of 2.4ghz then this may be your problem.
          The Microwave at our house kills the wireless connections as well. Very strange, but I haven't researched why this is yet.

Eric the Grey
          In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

cordless phones could be possible

go to intel's website and update your wireless drivers...i did that on my laptop and it worked perfectly ....

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
              The Microwave at our house kills the wireless connections as well.
              2 words, Electromagnetic Interference. Microwaves are essentially giant electromagnets. It would have to be fairly close to the access point or your computer, or in between them to really matter though. And or it is throwing off a hell of alot of interference.

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
                2 words, Electromagnetic Interference. Microwaves are essentially giant electromagnets. It would have to be fairly close to the access point or your computer, or in between them to really matter though. And or it is throwing off a hell of alot of interference.
                One thing you can do if this is an issue, is go to your router and try the sub bands. Most consumer electronics operate on the UHF band between 2390MHz to 2490MHz, as it is an unregulated "public access" part of the RF spectrum. Most routers can modulate their freqs to broadcast between 2412MHz (aka 2.412GHz) to 2462MHz. Your wireless adapter should constantly scan for all freqs, so changing this would not need additional modification to your PC. Good thing is, if you're running on say 2417MHz, and your microwave is throwing off radiation at 2462MHz, there will be minimal interference.

Also, please note, if your microwave is throwing off that much RF, you may need to replace it. The nuker shouldn't be throwing off that much RF as to interfere with your wireless internet. (It's part of the FCC regs that any RF broadcasting equipment should not interfere with anything else, even if on the same freq.)
                Last edited by Jack Doe; 04-25-2009, 02:35 AM. Reason: Edited for accuracy, had the freeks wrong

Comment

Working...
                X