This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I haz a new toy. Or, I love my mommy.

There have been some developments since my last thread. <other location> is much busier and faster paced than <home location> and after 3 shifts (well, 2.5), the director pulled me in her office and told me I wasn't working at the pace they needed. So yesterday I made a conscious effort to go faster. Still not good enough and I don't know when, if ever, I'll be working there again. Honestly, I'm pretty irked about it. They threw me in without swim floaties and then complained I can't keep up. If I could get in a couple days when things are slower and I can be properly trained, I think I'd be fine. But whatever. </BG>

Admittedly, there are things I need to work on--which is going to be difficult if I'm not getting any hours, but I digress. I do still struggle starting IVs particularly on elderly patients with small and/or fragile veins. Not a whole lot I can do about that without actually sticking them, which I can't do outside of work. The other thing I need to work on is taking blood pressures. At <home location> there are EKG techs who do it, but at <other location> we have to do it. I know I'm not good at it. I understand the concept of how to do it, but I have a hard time hearing it especially when patients are running on a treadmill.

I CAN get better at taking blood pressures outside of work, which I fully intend to do. So I called up my parents last night. They're both nurses, so I figured they'd have an extra cuff and stethoscope I could borrow for a bit. They did have an extra cuff laying around, but no stethoscope. So my mom bought me one. It's orange.

So.....who wants to be my victim guinea pig?
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post

So.....who wants to be my victim guinea pig?
    I don't mind volunteering. I'd even let you practice starting an IV as needles don't bother me. Course if you hurt me, I may come up swinging.

PS. I love my mommy too!

PPS. Nice present.
    Make a list of important things to do today.
    At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
    Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

I'm willing to be a guinea pig for sticks and bp and everything else you need. Just come on down to Texas!

What kind of stethescope were you using at work? A good quality stethescope makes a big difference. If the one you're borrowing works well, can you bring it to work?

Can you take a class through work to help with IVs?

Comment

Ooooh! Me! Pick me! </donkey>

And hopefully you'll never get someone like me. Rolling veins, and I've had nurses not be able to find them. The phlebotomists (I don't think my spellcheck knows this word...) can generally find them, but I had blood samples taken from my surface vein once, because the nurses just had no luck.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
          What kind of stethescope were you using at work? A good quality stethescope makes a big difference. If the one you're borrowing works well, can you bring it to work?

Can you take a class through work to help with IVs?
          I have no idea what they have at work, but the one I just got is a Lithman. I tested a couple on my mom before I picked it out to make sure I could actually hear with it.

As for a class, I don't think they offer anything like that. Some days you have it, and some days you don't. Yesterday obvously wasn't my day. I'm starting to hate the butterfly type IVs because they're so flimsy. I usually have better luck with angiocaths (or as my coworker calls them, "bayonets" ).

Quoth Magpie View Post
          And hopefully you'll never get someone like me. Rolling veins, and I've had nurses not be able to find them. The phlebotomists (I don't think my spellcheck knows this word...) can generally find them, but I had blood samples taken from my surface vein once, because the nurses just had no luck.
          Been there, stuck that, did a victory dance when I got it.

I hates rolling veins.....
          Last edited by jedimaster91; 04-16-2010, 09:30 PM. Reason: Adding links to pics for non-medical types
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

You'd love my veins. Decently sized, and they never hide.

I'd offer to let you do the wole BP thing on me, but (aside from the distance issue) those cuffs really hurt on me. I can't even have it done on my left arm because it gives me shooting pains on that side.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Your mommy really loves you! I just placed an order for that one in purple--ouch! Should make your life much easier, though.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                I'm starting to hate the butterfly type IVs because they're so flimsy.

I have very small veins so I almost always end up with a butterly in the back of the hand. Makes for some interesting bruising.

And that supervisor is a t**t.
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I've had nurses and techs who can't seem to find any vein (stick record was double digits for a single session) and then the folks at Blood Assurance can reliably get me without any digging on the left, every time.

They love me as a donor, I bleed quick...but the nurses who used to insist on trying the right for blood tests had to resort to butterfly on the back of the hand. Back of the hand, easy...side of the wrist, easy...inside the elbow, forget about it.
                  "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                  - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Realistically, if this job is requiring you to perform this duty, they should provide some extra education, especially if youre asking for it. But I guess thatd be too convenient for them. And too helpful for you for them to actually do it.

Id suggest a Community College phlebotomy class if nothing else, if youre able to time and money wise.

Comment

I've worked the whole week at <home location> this week and only had to get the nurse once or twice. Methinks switching to the angios did the trick. I'm pretty proud of myself.

Comment

I should be your Guinea pig, just so I can get over the fear of needles. I will hold still to get shot, but there's a lot of crying, hyperventilating, and jokes in poor taste to try to get my mind off of it.
                        "Did you at least ascertain the nature of his curse so that I may know the monstrosity that I face? ... A GIRL? He was... Turned into a girl? WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT?" -EGS http://egscomics.com

Comment

Working...
                        X