This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "One Word Request" dilemma.

So. Here we are again. I don't care how old you are, my good sir, you do not walk through the exit doors of the store, hobble up to me, and go "Fire alarms."

Sure, I let loose with my usual "Hi! How are you? " as per my perky self.

The individual must have hearing issues, despite that there is less than a foot of space between our faces, and I am speaking into his ear.

".. Fire alarms, .. "

Yep. Heee went there.

"Oh, I'm very wonderful, thank you so much for asking! ^o^ "

".. Fire alarms, .. "

*- - - - - - - - - - >8 - - - - - - - - - - -*

Oooookay! So here's where we stand. Some of us are just extremely, extremely morally driven. As in, "I am NOT an object or a signpost. You WILL treat me like a human or you will ask someone else. Good day."

But then they get snippy, because "But you work here!"

Operative word is work, not toil under a hot sun picking cotton while singing songs. Nope, not a slave, last I checked. I have the right to a human existence.

So how do you handle the one-word request dilemma? Obviously the quickest way to get rid of the problem is to just ... help them. Many times they're a perfectly nice person, but just want to get it out there before they stumble over words. I'm sure I would too. Some people have that social anxiety disorder and would rather just be left alone, but occasionally need some help but can't muster up the courage. So they shoot off a "RUGS!" before their throat can clamp shut from instructions from their brain. O_O

But then, of course, my friends, you have the lumbering, slobbering halfwit in a dirty flannel shirt with stains all over it and a hammer stuck in his pants that he doesn't know is there, ( .. *shudder* .. ) and just bellows forth with a resounding
    Nails,
    and the universe stops just for you, when you realize that you are now on the spotlight of a major life choice. Do you be rude to him, or do you satisfy his instinctive neanderthal-like craving for the little slivers of metal that he so desires?

Yep. This is where things get interesting.

You all may have the ability to forgive and forget that would save your life, but I don't. I can't seem to let people get away with murdering my humanity by reducing me to the level of a common streetsign pointing listlessly at the nearest prostitute of store locational awareness. No. When they descend to that level, I have to fight it, lest they drag me down with them.

So I have a few tactics to combat this.

1) As per the above with the old man and the fire alarms, after the initial request, I greet the person most enthusiastically. If this fails and they repeat it, I go into stage 2, with the "I'm doing great, thanks so much for asking! ^_^ " in as non-sarcastic a tone as I can muster. If even that doesn't get a snap-into-reality from them, they're a lost cause. Proceed to the desperate step.
    2) When they're done, walk forward and shake their hand. "Hi! I'm <my name> Pleased to meet you!" And then let them take it from there. If the result is pleasant, .. awesome. Great customer. The handshake really does wonders for stuff. It's probably the best technique I can imagine. Kudos to awesomecashier for this. IF IT FAILS, you've got a seriously awful customer. Feel free to ignore. Not worth your time.
    3) This one's a joke. They say "Nails." We say "Where?" and look around. Then you gauge the reaction. If they say "WTF?" just act casual, I guess. Doesn't matter much. If they say "That's what I was going to ask you." Say "Well why didn't you say so? ^^,' Let's go! ^_^ "
    4) The First Statement - "Wow, that is so rude." And just watch what happens. If they back off, great. Roll with it. Take the "It's okay, man, what do you need?" route. If not, venture into the dangerous territory of "How can you even stand yourself, treating people like that when you want their help? Get some wisdom, man!" Walk away.

What is the desperate step? I'm not sure. I've never gotten that far. May it never come to be.
    SC: "Are you new or something?"
    Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

With one word statements what I usually say to them is.."What about it?"

Comment

My SIL dealt with it by tearing a strip out of the SC (who was so dense that they thought she was being incredibly polite). "Almonds? What do you mean by that? Are you looking for almonds to buy? What kind do you want? We have ...."

Comment

Cutie-AsianGirl: Tepicks?
        RW: Te..?
        Cutie: *Taps teeth* Tepicks.
        RW: Toothpicks! Yeah, right over here!

Every single week for three years. You'd think ONE OF US would have learned to communicate with the other. Her English was pretty horrible for living in the Appellation Mountains, I don't think the local school system was teaching her ESL.

She wasn't the only one who would do that to me, but since I got on pretty well with the girl it wasn't really too bad.
        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

"Bathrooms?"

I didn't mind this one however because its not like I wanted to talk to anybody anyways.

Comment

You could always try word non-association:

SC: "Fire alarms!"
            You: "Klondike bars!"

SC: "Nails!"
            You: "Tapes!"

etc.
            Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

The big blue box store has it down where I live. You walk in and someone at the door goes:

"Hi! Welcome to *big blue box store*. What can I help you find today?"

Makes life so much easier as they expect the one worders.
              Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

SC:Nails!
                Other Fictional Person (Employee): Yeah, they look nice. You just cut them?

SC: Fire alarms...
                OFP: I can't fire anyone, I'm not in charge here.
                Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Don't do the shaking their hand thing! You've no idea where their hands have been.

On the other side, anyone shaking my hand - touching me without permission - would have a complaint against them.

Comment

Also, these one word requests can lead to misunderstandings. The Deputy Manager had a customer get annoyed the other day because of this.
                    Apparently he had barked 'Pets?' at an employee, who had directed him to the part of the shop where our 'Pets' section is - i.e., where we sell cat / dog food, bedding, collars etc.
                    What the customer had actually wanted was to see where the actual animals were kept - a bit difficult as we do not sell, and have never sold, the pets themselves.
                    On being told this, his reaction was "But I brought my little girl in here to see the animals! I promised her! Now what am I going to do?"
                    ('Check your facts before you make promises' sounds like a good place to start......)
                    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

SC: Nails!
                      Evil Aqu: Nails. N-A-I-L-S. Nails.
                      Random Doctor Who quote:
                      "I'm sorry about your coccyx, too, Miss Grant."

I has a gallery: deviantART gallery.
                      I also has a "funny" blog: Aqu Improves Her Craft

Comment

Hehehe. I like that one. ^_^

I thought of another.

SC: Nails!
                        Me: Nails!! ^_^ Woo!! Go nails! ^o^ *Fist cheer in the air* aaand walk away.
                        SC: "Are you new or something?"
                        Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

I think the answer to 'nails' would be 'grapes.'
                          Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
                            I think the answer to 'nails' would be 'grapes.'
                            *snerk* That is all.
                            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                            X