This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun facts of my employee handbook

So, I actually got around to reading the employee handbook when we were slow the other day. Found out the recruiter and my management are full of it. First off, I only need to give 2hrs notice for a call off and it says nothing about me being required to find a replacement. Secondly, and definitely best I was told that I can not have any drinks before coming to work. I actually learned we have a limit that is relatively higher than one would expect. Actually double the limit of what one can't fly a plane at. It really makes me want to have a drink or two before going into work just to see what they would say, as long as I'm not stumbling and can pass a breathlyzier and be under the company limit, they really can't do much can they? Policy is Policy afterall, haha they might remove the limit and say none at all.
    I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

How would they know you've been drinking before work unless you either smelled like it or acted like it? In both cases they could probably cite you for something else even if you were technically under the limit

Comment

Careful now. If you're stateside and reside in an at-will state, why risk it?
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Don't forget you're probably barred from bribing foreign officials in your job capacity. Amazing how many times that becomes a problem.

Comment

I too would not see how far I could stretch that alcohol policy. You could be under the allowed limit but still have a lapse in judgment and say and do things you shouldn't.

And at my job, we've got forklifts and balers and pallet jacks and other mechanical stuff that can cause major damage to merchandise and people if used improperly, and that could mean an automatic piss test, so why even risk it?
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Besides why would you want to drink alcohol before going to work. I thought that was something you did after work.
            Take this job and shove it. I ain't workin here no more.

Proud Air Force Mom

Comment

I second that idea of not pushing things too far. The employee handbook where I work used to be one sentence: "Don't do something stupid." That got changed after an employee wandered around the call center holding a beer up and bragging about how he was drinking on the job. When he got called out on it, he accused graveyard shift of all drinking on the job all the time too, which, of course, just wasn't true. I was one of 3 people on graves who drinks at all, but noone ever drank on shift (save for one beer each between the 2 people on staff on the 4th of july.) Noone got drunk, noone did anything stupid, and noone did anything wrong, because they were responsible about it.

Because of that, everyone on graves almost lost their job, me included (I wasn't even working that night.)

That said, we now have a 30 page employee handbook that gives in excessive detail what you can and cannot do on shift. It's been growing daily since that encounter with the drunk tech. Don't be "that" employee that ruins stuff for everyone else, even if you haven't actually done anything wrong.
              Coworker: Distro of choice?
              Me: Gentoo.
              Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

If people come to work and smell like booze, they should be sent home, immediately no questions asked, written up and punished, possibly fired.

I would assume they told you no drinks because i know in my province, if you smell like booze its grounds for dismissal, they probably have the same deal, so are trying to cover your ass.

Comment

Quoth Pimento View Post
                  If people come to work and smell like booze, they should be sent home, immediately no questions asked, written up and punished, possibly fired.

I would assume they told you no drinks because i know in my province, if you smell like booze its grounds for dismissal, they probably have the same deal, so are trying to cover your ass.
                  Wow...talk about harsh punishment. If it was a habitual thing they yes I can understand being let go. But for a first time offense? Really?

Comment

Yep, every job ive had is "come to work smelling of alchohol, go home and dont expect a job"

Comment

Ok, im not saying im going to um in blowing a .039 because well i can according to the handbook. The point that I want to make is that I keep getting told things by my management/co-workers that are very far off from the truth and what is laid down in the rather long handbook. I also carry a knife on me at all times just because it is handy to have and I have done it for years, that is another thing I was told I can't carry a knife. Which again is not true, weapons policy clearly states I can have a knife up to 3in without being in violation. Also, technically if I were to be on a baseball team and leave my bat in my car and come to work, I would be in violation.

The thing that annoys me is when I'm told that I am unable to do something, and they cite company policy as the reason, and I can go to the handbook and prove them wrong. I hope you would all agree that no drinks before work and being able to blow .04 are significantly different. Also, it does state you can't drink on the job or at a company function unless prior approval has been given. It also means that if I go out for a nice dinner and want one beer before doing 3rd shift, it really shouldn't be a problem.

Of course I can't really say nice things about my co-workers since talking to them is like when they won't concede being wrong when you have documentation. (more stuff involving actual laws and discussion i had with a co-worker who was shocked when several sources of google and our states Attorney general's website agreed with me)
                      I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Working...
                      X