This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
    I'd love to do a Great Plains crossing on a train. I've been over them in the air a few times and it might be nice to actually get to see them for a change.
    There's not much to see on the Plains. Lots of grass, grain and small towns But, coming out of Chicago was cool. So was the 8-hour layover--we hit up the Sears Tower, Navy Pier, aquarium and other places. Pittsburgh has quite a bit of rail traffic...but nothing like Chicago. Huge yards, commuter trains, and heavy traffic on Metra's "Racetrack" were only part of it. Going past both Comiskey Parks (the old one was still standing in 1990...with the new one right next door) was cool. After the layover had passed, I got on the Southwest Chief, and had dinner on the train. There's nothing like having a steak and watching the scenery go by at 79mph If you ever get the chance, go through Raton Pass (NM) and around Horseshoe Curve.

Sadly, things are different now. Most of Amtrak's trains are too similar. Gone are the much-loved dome cars of the 1940s and 50s. I actually rode in one at night, from Pittsburgh to Chicago. Cold as hell up there, even with a blanket. It's all Amfleet and Superliner (bilevel) cars now. Even the color position light signals, which had been in service for decades, are being replaced. Kinda cool seeing the signals change as your train passes underneath them.
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Bilevel train cars? Explain?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

It's about what it sounds like. There's seating down below and seating up above in the upper level. We usually go up to the upper level when we ride because it has a better view.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          Bilevel train cars? Explain?
          Dikipedia: Superliner
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Very cool!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
              Sadly, things are different now. Most of Amtrak's trains are too similar. Gone are the much-loved dome cars of the 1940s and 50s. I actually rode in one at night, from Pittsburgh to Chicago. Cold as hell up there, even with a blanket. It's all Amfleet and Superliner (bilevel) cars now. Even the color position light signals, which had been in service for decades, are being replaced. Kinda cool seeing the signals change as your train passes underneath them.
              Come up to Canada and take The Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver.

The whole consist is the old Budd stainless steel cars with usually 3 domes per train.

Take a look at http://www.viarail.ca/en/trains/rock...ouver-canadian for more info.

I've taken that trip three times and it's amazing.

B
              "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
              I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Double-deck carriages are also fairly common in Europe, although usually not with domes, but essentially don't exist in Britain. The reason for the latter is that the loading gauge (essentially the space under bridges and tunnels) is too small to allow it. European continental railways were built to more generous dimensions, so can often fit them in. Really it's just a way of carrying more passengers per length of platform.

Finland's loading gauge is particularly large, so most inter-city trains have several double-deck carriages in them, and some of these are even business-class with all the spaciousness you'd expect. Generally the only trains without them are the tilting Pendolino trains, which are slightly faster than the standard trains. On commuter trains, the large loading gauge is instead used to make 3+2 seating (that is, five seats and an aisle per row) relatively comfortable.

Comment

I took a train back from Boston to Columbia one January. Yes, it cost a little more than driving would, and in my case at least, took a little more time than driving would have but there were two things that made it worth it:

1. It wasn't flying, and

2. It wasn't me having to do the driving. Which I have done to Boston twice, and back once.

There's a whole lot of other reasons why trains rock, but those were the main things that come to mind right now.

I LOVED traveling by train, particularly when I was able to get off the shuttle train in Washington Station and get onto the Silver Star, a real long-distance passenger train with velvet curtains and huge seats. Man, what a nice way to travel.

Comment

I generally prefer the train when I'm visiting the relatives in NJ. The price is usually the same or lower than a plane ticket, and I don't have to deal with the TSA asshattery or layovers so in terms of time it seems to even out (also the stated scenery, food, and legroom reasons). It's easier for me to get to/from South Station on my own if need be; the Red Line stops right there and T fare is better than cab fare.

The only long-haul train trip I've taken is with mom when I was heading off to college. The train from Chicago to Albuquerque was older and the accommodations were a bit more cramped, but doable. I think we spent most of the days for the second leg in the observation car (a real dome car, which was even better).
                    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 12-31-2012, 01:43 PM.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Bandit View Post
                      I've taken that trip three times and it's amazing.
                      I've heard that the scenery is awesome! Unfortunately, I can't get enough time off from work. It's good to see that Via still has some of those Budd cars in service.
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                      X