Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday, I used the following excuse to get out of carrying a battery backup to an office... AND IT WORKED!

"I don't like how she treats me."

the (l)user is a brat, and acts like we're a massive imposition to her. :P
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

"Okay, do not click on anything until I tell you to, okay?"
      "Okay."
      "Do you see <link> on the right hand section of the screen?"
      "Oh, now it's asking me to log in."

Since when does see = click?

Comment

Wow TA, you have some intelligent people you have to help. *offers cookies and chocolate*. The last one might be one of my pet peeves. Never sure how 'See, find, or look for' = Click, but people tend to like to click when those words are used.
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

"It says I need the MAC address. What's that? How do I find it?"
          "What kind of game station do you have?"
          "PS3."
          "Then google 'PS3 MAC address' and you'll get directions."
          "Oh, okay."

Seriously? I have to TELL you to do that?

Comment

Somehow, Google-fu just doesn't come naturally to some people.

Of course, as the old Three Dead Trolls sketch points out, searching for "latex bondage" is likely to turn up unexpected results when what you really want is about interior decorating.
            Last edited by Chromatix; 10-13-2010, 07:59 PM.

Comment

What's with all the eMachine hate? We have a pile of cheap eMachines at work, and they are the only computers that HAVEN'T given us any trouble. Yeah, they're bargain-basement cheap, but that's why you buy more than one.

Comment

Quoth roothorick View Post
                What's with all the eMachine hate? We have a pile of cheap eMachines at work, and they are the only computers that HAVEN'T given us any trouble. Yeah, they're bargain-basement cheap, but that's why you buy more than one.
                They have a bad reputation as being very cheap, and prone to failures, more so than other companies. You might have gotten a good batch.

Although I would not trust them, and now the other companies that have acquired them: First it was Gateway. Then Acer bought Gateway.

Comment

"Do you have a degree in this stuff?"
                  "Yes."
                  "Good for you."

Comment

So, the computer that the dining hall uses to scan in student IDs went down this morning.

I went over to try to revive it. I can't count how many students walked up and stuck their card under the **EMPTY** scanner holder, and then wondered why nothing happened...

Comment

ahhh pavlov at his best

Comment

Quoth bsaana View Post
                        They have a bad reputation as being very cheap, and prone to failures, more so than other companies. You might have gotten a good batch.

Although I would not trust them, and now the other companies that have acquired them: First it was Gateway. Then Acer bought Gateway.
                        I must have gotten a good one, too. My kids beat the hell out of it with internet gaming and loading and deleting software and it's never given us a bit of trouble in almost four years now. It's nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.

I had to deal with Gateways and Acers in the military, and my credit card won't be going near any of those any time soon. I'm a Mac person, though, and that eMachine will be the last PC I ever own. When it dies -- or I have the money to replace it with a desktop Mac -- the house will be officially PC-free.
                        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                          I must have gotten a good one, too. My kids beat the hell out of it with internet gaming and loading and deleting software and it's never given us a bit of trouble in almost four years now. It's nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.

I had to deal with Gateways and Acers in the military, and my credit card won't be going near any of those any time soon. I'm a Mac person, though, and that eMachine will be the last PC I ever own. When it dies -- or I have the money to replace it with a desktop Mac -- the house will be officially PC-free.
                          I lost any respect for Gateway years ago. My wife was in the Navy at the time and we were over in Sicily. They have no problems allowing you to order a new laptop, but should that laptop die the day after you get it and need service, they can't get it back to you. First off they lied about not recieving it for over 3 months causing a seperate set of issues. Then about 6 months later when its found out they recieved it a week after we mailed it, and had to wait for parts, then shipped it back by fedex (they do not deliver to FPO addresses, FAIL on Gateways part) and lost it after that. It took 2 months of calls to TRY and get a replacement shipped, and when that failed and they denied a refund, it took a call to an executive line to get it processed.

Again this probably isn't normal, but when you deal with that it really makes you hate the company.

Comment

Well, to be fair, Gateway USED to have a reputation for being really good, with unusually high-quality customer service...But this was back when they were a small, hungry mail-order-only place. Once they opened their B&M stores, that pretty much all went out the window.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Repair form
                              There are approx 97 processes running at all times, most of which I do not know what they are. They are making my computer run very slowly. Please clean out everything that isn't my music and documents.
                              Yeah, I don't think you really want me to clear out EVERYTHING that isn't music or documents..

I'm tempted, but no..

EDIT: And, yes. All the processes running are valid processes.
                              Last edited by technical.angel; 11-04-2010, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Is it bad of me to find it REALLY entertaining that the head of the CS department got hit with a fake AV?

Apparently she's smart enough to recognize it as a fake AV, find a website about said fake av, but NOT how to remove it.....

Comment

Working...
                                X