Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like talking to a brick wall.... (long)

Backstory: Our store-licensed security software's renewal system is made so that it automatically renews on the expiration date IF there is a credit card on file. If it tries to renew and can't (either due to an expired card or no card on file) it goes into a grace period for 30 days, during which the customer can call any time or go online to a special site to give us the credit card info. If it goes past the grace period and still can't renew, the software totally cancels and the customer must go to the store and buy another copy (The store licensed version is not available online). This is done because some customers have a habit of letting their software sit expired for say 6 months before doing anything about it and by that time they're loaded with viruses.

Anyway, on to this SC who didn't get that canceled meant CANCELED.

Me: *Looks at database, sees the software is totally canceled.*

SC: I went on vacation during the grace period and now it's saying it's totally expired, I want to renew it.

Me: *Gives spiel on the policy as was outlined in the backstory.*

SC: So are you telling me the software can't be purchased?

Me: It's been canceled because no one called or went online to add a credit card to the database, and it's past the grace period now. It's not possible for me to renew this software, the option to even add a card is greyed out.

SC: You can't or you just don't want to?

Me: If it was still in grace period I would would be more than happy to, but the software is canceled now. You will need to go to the store.

SC: You know what? I went to the store to renew it and they told me to call you. Now you're telling me I can't. How do you expect to stay in business if you are telling me you won't take my money?

Me: It's not a question of not wanting your business, it's the way the system is set up. It's set up to give a grace period of 30 days and during that time you or anyone else could have called or went online to add a credit card....

SC: Yeah well I went on vacation during the last half of it so that system doesn't work for me.

Me: I don't make the policies, sir. Again, if you want the software you will need to go to the store if you want this version again.

SC: This version? And in this day and age of the internet, isn't it a bit outdated to tell someone to go to the store?

Me: You can buy the software online but it'll be the retail version. The difference between the retail version and the store licensed version is that with the retail version you have to call the vendor for support and they're only open Mon-Fri 9-5 as opposed to us where we're open 24/7.

SC: Okay then I want to renew your version of the software then.

Me: As was stated before due to no one adding a credit card to the database I can't renew this version as it's now canceled. If you want our version, you will need to go to the store.

SC: You're not listening. I am calling up to renew software, which will add dollars to your coffers. I don't get why you're not willing to do that. And tell me something, why didn't the moron at the store not bother to check the software first to see if it's canceled before punting me to you?

Me: I do apologize for that, but they don't have the same database as us.

SC: Fine then, but for now I am trying to give YOU money and you're refusing to take it. I don't know why you don't want my money.

Me: Sir, I don't know what else I can say to you. If you want our version, you will need to go to the store as this software has been canceled. How far away is the store from you, anyway?

SC: *Holds phone away from his mouth.* My god this guy is not listening. *Puts phone back* I just can't believe you're not willing to let me buy a product that I want to buy! And the nearest store is 15-20 minutes away, but what does it matter?!

Me: Sir this is becoming a very circulartatious argument. If you want our version you will need to buy a copy at the store as this one's been canceled. If you want to buy it online you're free to do so but you'll lose our support.

SC: You're the one making it circulartatious by not doing what I want you to do!

Me: Sir at this time you will need to rebuy it at the store or go online to buy a retail version.

SC: You know what? I'm sure you're just doing your job unless you've been misinformed but as I'm getting nowhere with you I'm just going to buy it somewhere else. Have a good day.

Me: *Gives closing spiel.*

And he got the damn email survey, at least he gave me decent marks but it's clear by his comments he just didn't get that canceled meant canceled:

"I called to upgrade [brand] software, I initially went to a store who told me I had to call customer service, when I called customer service I was told to go back to the store. I was a paying customer who twice wanted to purchase a product and twice was told I was unable to do so. Can't see how long you can in business with that type of format. The representative asked me how far of a drive it was to the store, he wanted to know why I couldn't just get back in my car to buy software??, really? pushing for a brick and mortar sale of software in the internet age?? I don't fault the representative unless he was misinformed, he was very curtious, but not sure all the lights were on, as I don't think he ever got it. I ultimately purchased the software from another provider online.

Sorry but it's the SC that didn't "get it." And FYI "circulartatious" means to go around in circles. Thanks to my co-worker for that one.
    Last edited by sld72382; 01-04-2011, 06:17 PM.

I hate the "can't or won't?" argument from SCs. I really do.

One of these days I'm going to answer one of them truthfully: "You know what? I don't want to help you. I don't feel like wasting my time with people who don't read instructions, don't follow instructions, and don't listen. Bye."
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I agree whole heartedly with Irv, and I feel for you.

Of course, it's also just a smidgeon of the "blame everyone else" going on here. I am so sick of people who think everything is someone or something else's fault, I could just hit the next person who acts like that with a greasy hot frying pan.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

So... this is just another take on the 'but I want it, so therefore it must be made available immediately for my consumption, rules be damned.' Entitlement at it's best.
        "I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality."
        - James Joyce

Comment

Not to mention that he was on vacation "for the last half of it"

"It" in this case, I assume being the grace period. So what was he doing for the FIRST half of that?

I think I would have just kept repeating, "Sir, I CANNOT do it. Not 'won't'. CAN. NOT. As in, UNABLE TO." But I suppose he wouldn't have listened to that either.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

And YOU are the one with "not all the lights on???"

uhh........
            SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
            SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Honestly, I totally understand this guy's confusion. It's kinda dumb that he can't renew the software online, once he's bought it once, and it's dumb that the in store guy can't tell that it's expired and he has to buy a new copy. Not that any of that is your fault. At least he didn't ding you on the support survey.

Quoth sld72382 View Post
              And FYI "circulartatious" means to go around in circles.
              I'm pretty sure "circulartatious" isn't a word. I'm pretty sure the word you want is "circuitous".
              The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                Honestly, I totally understand this guy's confusion. It's kinda dumb that he can't renew the software online, once he's bought it once, and it's dumb that the in store guy can't tell that it's expired and he has to buy a new copy. Not that any of that is your fault. At least he didn't ding you on the support survey.
                You can renew the store-licensed software. Either before original expiration or anytime during the grace period.

And the instore guy could have called us to find out the status, but either he was a) lazy or b) very busy and didn't have time.

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                I'm pretty sure "circulartatious" isn't a word. I'm pretty sure the word you want is "circuitous".
                Thanks. I couldn't think of it.

Comment

I can't help but notice you didn't at any point use the wording "buy a new copy" -- is there a reason for that? As I was reading that was the first thing that came to mind, and I kept waiting for it, but didn't see it.

When it's clear something's not taking, I'll continually change the wording until something sticks, sometimes getting rather creative. Sometimes the unintuitive thought processes wake up their brains.

Of course, that's useless if they're deliberately tuning you out in that perverse reverse-stonewalling that some people do.

Comment

I, too, strongly suggest changing up the wording.

That will help get past mental blocks in both the dense and the autsistic. Although you'll still be stuck banging your head against the wall with the deliberately obtuse.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
                      You can renew the store-licensed software. Either before original expiration or anytime during the grace period.

And the instore guy could have called us to find out the status, but either he was a) lazy or b) very busy and didn't have time.
                      Or c) The customer gave the wrong information to in-store guy and was given the correct advice for that scenario.
                      Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Working...
                      X