This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
    The thing with Kinko's is that I think most of the customers realized that we had the power to make your day go easy, or make it go very, very hard. And since most people tend to wait till the last minute to get anything done, they didn't have time for their order to get dragged or screwed up. So they had enough sense to not provoke us into an retalitory strikes on their precious church programs or business presentations. In that store, that sort of thing happened less frequently than you might think, but the customers didn't know that.
    As a last minute Kinko customer myself, I know how that goes!

Due to my lack of foresight, I'll have something that needs to be printed up ASAP. As such, I'm entirely at the mercy of the employees there, so I'll do absolutely everything in my power to be polite, understanding, and hope they can fix my self-inflicted crisis. I have no leverage at all over them, instead I'm relying on their good graces to fix my own stupidity.

Works almost every time.

Comment

It's almost as bad working somewhere that you DO get breaks, but the break room is easily found by customers.

Both when I worked for Petco and when I was a dog food demo rep, I was found on a regular basis by impatient customers, while IN the break room, name tag and apron off, eating a meal.

At Petco I had to be polite and usually ended up having to at least leave the break room and page someone else up front to help them. But when I did demo stuff, I wasn't actually an employee of the store where I was, so I got to be a little bit less nice about it... and even occasionally got to defend the real employees from break room invaders demanding help.

"Oh, excuse me, did you need help? I'm sorry, the part of the store where you can find employees who are on the clock is back the way you came. This is where you find employees who are prohibited by law from helping you right now, because they are clocked out for lunch."
      My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

I worked night shift security for what seems like an eternity, and the nature of the job prevents us from being able to take breaks. But considering there are hours and hours of nothing happening, the whole job is like on big break.

Until you decide to eat lunch or take a poop.

I swear to god, I would sit there for 2 hours and never see a single person. Then the second I sat on the toilet I'd hear the front door open and some hapless delivery driver yelling, "Hello? Hello? Anybody here?" I never got to take an uninterrupted poop, not once.

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post

Due to my lack of foresight, I'll have something that needs to be printed up ASAP. As such, I'm entirely at the mercy of the employees there, so I'll do absolutely everything in my power to be polite, understanding, and hope they can fix my self-inflicted crisis. I have no leverage at all over them, instead I'm relying on their good graces to fix my own stupidity.

Works almost every time.
          I imagine so. The polite, understanding ones, such as yourself, are the customers the Kinko's staff would bend over backwards for.

I mean, everyone who comes in is in a hurry, but not everyone understands that being nice motivates people to try to help you, whereas being a jerk does just the opposite.

Comment

This is one of my pet hates. When I worked at a concession in Borders we could have water...but under our cashdesk and we had to crouch down to drink I never bothered, why should I? I'm a human being too!

At work we can eat and drink in uniform...but no gum or walking and eating. We have our crew centre in the terminal, luckily passengers can't come in as it's staff only and you have to swipe You can drink and eat in the terminal no problem as long as you sit down

On the plane it's fine though we normally pull the curtain around so people can't see and come and bug us
            No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Ohh - my favorite is this German restaurant I frequent. The waitresses have glasses of wine stashed near the bar. All night you can see them taking swigs as they're working. The later the evening, the slower the service but the more likely I can weasel and extra salad out of them! (They have the best salads I've ever eaten - I ask for the salad for my dessert instead of the strudel) If I ever own a business, casual drinking on the job will be encouraged (oh the insurance premiums!)
              Interesting Fodder: http://interestingfodder.typepad.com

Comment

I wish we could do that at my restaurant! Thoug we do get a shift meal any time during our shift, and a shift drink after we've done our report... And unlike SO's restaurant, we can have ANY shift drink we want, where as he can only have like a 10oz beer.... poor thing lol. I've only used my shift drink twice cause I don't like to drink and drive... Hmm Maybe I'll start taking the bus....

But normally, I'll just wait til my shift's over to eat my meal with my drink, and snag chips or fries or even a sample of the special from the cooks

Comment

Heheh, at my work we're allowed to basically get what we want as far as drinks go, so long as it's got the receipt wrapped around it. Sometimes the managers will give us candy as well, putting a bowl up front for the customers and putting a bag of prewrapped ones for us in the break room or under one of the registers.

Couple days ago when I was tending/snacking a few bites out of the candy bowl at my register (I took 4 pieces of the mini hersheys in total, I swear!), I got sick of customers asking me if it was free so I taped a sign on it that said FREE. Phew...it was sitting there all day and as soon as I put the sign on it, that candy was gone in under 3 hours.

People can't resist free things
                  Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Quoth Talon View Post

Thus the inevitable conclusion should enough no-lifers complain. This just in from corporate: effective immediately, all employees will be required to be hooked up to catheters and IV bags
                    Been there, done that, still doing it. I got the breakroom thing too. Everytime I'd sit down with a yummy sandwich, some idiot would wander in and ask me why I was stuffing my face instead of helping him find his precious peanut butter. Nevermind there are plenty of other employees out there to help, I have to help him because apparently, I'm too lazy and need to be taught a lesson. I'd always say no, and if they complained, Manager backed me up.
                    "But I don't want to be among mad people."
                    You can't help that. We're all mad here. Every fucking one of us.

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
                      You kidding my last job, they didn't care if we at ate at the counter, in full view of everyone.
                      Mine is like that too. I can sit at the front desk and partake in a 7 course meal. Usually the customer tells me to go ahead and finish my bite, plate, whatever. Usually, by the time a guest shows up, I'm so starved for company that I'll be happy to drop my meal and return to it later.

Besides, the microwave is in my office. Behind my chair. No complaints from me guys.
                      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Working...
                      X