Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I to understand that you can't give me the drink until I pay for it?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I to understand that you can't give me the drink until I pay for it?!

I'm a flight attendant and have to deal with a lot of snotty businessmen. We sell alcohol for $5 and before going around with the beverage cart, we always make a specific announcement that correct change is needed. If we've already sold enough to make change, then we can break large bills, but we do not carry around extra cash.

One day, I was doing my beverage service and this man said he wanted to get a beer. Now, it was my first flight of the day, so I certainly didn't have any change. He hands me a $20. I explain to him that I cannot break a $20, but I will go down the line, and if anyone else can give me change, he can have his beer. I offer to get him another beverage in the meantime. He says no, so I push my cart down to the next person.

All of a sudden I hear, "EXCUSE ME!!" I turn back around, and this snooty shit says, maybe the stupidest thing I have ever heard: "Am I to understand that you cannot give me the drink until I pay for it?!"

I almost burst out laughing. Apparently, this man does not know how society works. You don't get anything until you pay for it, dumbass, and I don't care how much you bitch about it. And I'm certainly not going to comp a drink for no reason, especially to someone who is so rude. He complains and moans and says he flies all the time and this is the worst service he's ever had, and he's never had this trouble with British Airways. Hey jerkoff, we ain't British Airways, we're a small regional jet service, so you're lucky you're getting any service at all.

I go complete the rest of my service, and of course, I cannot get change. I go back and tell scumfuck this unfortunate news, upon which he says he wants a comment card and this is inexcusable and he's never flying this airline again. Oh, what a shame. He'll surely be missed. Have fun on BA. When we land, he doesn't even acknowledge me, as he exits the plane. I was actually kind of disappointed; I was just waiting for him to say something obnoxious, so I could tell him off. Oh well.
    "we pay our debt sometime..."

You're a better person than me. I WOULD have laughed. And encouraged all passangers to join me.
    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

"Feel free to leave the aircraft at any time sir"

Comment

Obviously he's never been on a plane before.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
          You're a better person than me. I WOULD have laughed. And encouraged all passangers to join me.
          Had I been a passenger on that flight and heard him say that, I wouldn't have needed any encouragement... I most certainly would have burst into uproarious laughter on my own.
          "It's not easy being evil in a world that's gone to Hell" ~ Anton LaVey

Comment

if i were him i'd have just asked for 4 beers.

Comment

Quoth cawaker View Post
              if i were him i'd have just asked for 4 beers.
              I've been on flights where someone in this situation just went ahead and bought a round for the row which I think is a much classier way of handling the problem.

Comment

Personally, I think this is a shitty job by the airline. NOT by the flight attendants, mind you. (So don't take this personally.) But by the airline.

Honestly, if you are going to sell something, don't you think you should provide the people selling it with some way to make change for those purchasing it? I can understand if you can't break a $100 bill, sure. But a $20. That is just stupid. Frankly, I drink when I fly, at least a beer or two (I don't fly often, and always on vacation, not business), and I find it obnoxious that a multi-million dollar operation like an airline feels the need to inconvenience their passengers by offering libations but NOT bothering to have change available for a reasonably denomination like a $20 bill.

Hell, I walk into a corner dive bar and order a beer, you know what they are going to do? Give me change for my Jackson. Why? Because it's common sense.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves about airlines these days. It just drives me slightly nuts, and seems very petty and classless on their part.

All the above being said, yeah, the dude was a douche nozzle.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth DevilBoy View Post
                  Had I been a passenger on that flight and heard him say that, I wouldn't have needed any encouragement... I most certainly would have burst into uproarious laughter on my own.
                  Reiterated for reverberation.

in' in the aisle.
                  Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I want to add to my previous rant about the airline's idiocy in this.

Think about it. They expect you to have exact change for drinks they are proffering, and only have change for you if they sell enough to other people who have exact change. They can't even provide their FA's with a $30 bank?

So there I am, in the airport, with tons of things on my mind. Will my flight be on time? Will it be delayed? How will my vacation go? How much longer? Will this airport food kill me before I even board? Are terrorists going to hijack my plane? Why can't I find a decent crossword book for the flight? Will I be ready for my performance? How will the business meeting go? Was my wife serious about leaving me? All this stuff going through your head when you are flying to wherever you are flying (and since flying involves a lot of waiting, you DO tend to have more time to think about a lot of things), and the airlines seriously expect their paying customers to have exact change for a brewski they are selling them?

I wouldn't even be so annoyed by it if they would allow you to bring the (overpriced) airport beer on with you, but of course you can't. So you can't bring your own, you can't bring the airport's overpriced swill, and if you don't have exact change, you can't get the airline's spirits (which are, by the way, almost pure profit for the airline). That, to me, is utter garbage.

I know, I know....having a beer is not a right. No, it is not. But the way the airlines go about doing it is really bad customers service, and very, very low-class.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Pretty much any bar with sit down table service lets you order and drink without paying until you're ready to leave.

Ditto on why the FA can't start with a $30 bank of small bills? Or why the guy can't have his drink and run a tab? Or why the FA couldn't take his $20 and give him his drink and then give him his change after other passengers supplied her with small bills? It's not like he's going to run out on the tab.

Comment

Quoth Auto View Post
                        Or why the FA couldn't take his $20 and give him his drink and then give him his change after other passengers supplied her with small bills? It's not like he's going to run out on the tab.

That's what my FA did on my last flight. Though she only had to get me $3 worth of change, so it wasn't hard

Then again, She didn't even need to do that. I ordered another drink right after it... (Those things are too small )

Though the airport bar at my connecting flight was great, they had Guiness on tap, served in HUGE glasses (I think it was a double pint glass), for a lot cheaper than you'd expect... I was happy
                        <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

the main reason that the airlines dont have a bank for the fa's is mainly for security. even a $30 bank has to be secured, and with the way flights are, you may have 2 different crews on the same plane in a day. if the bank comes up short who pays the difference, who counts the bank, etc. its a logistical nightmare.

i agree that the concept is a good one, but practicality makes it tough. not wanting to turn this into a major fratching issue, ill stop there.
                          This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
                          my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

wow. he's going to boycott an entire airline just over alcohol

i see where his priorities are and ... maybe it's not a bad thing if he keeps his promise. O_o

Comment

Quoth SteeleDragon78 View Post
                              the main reason that the airlines dont have a bank for the fa's is mainly for security. even a $30 bank has to be secured, and with the way flights are, you may have 2 different crews on the same plane in a day. if the bank comes up short who pays the difference, who counts the bank, etc. its a logistical nightmare.
                              The bank doesn't stay with the plane, it stays with the crew, or with each FA.

Or here's a comment. Have it be policy that each FA have WITH them a $30 bank. I have worked at places where it was required that we bring our own bank of at least $30 in change.

There are tons of very practical, very logistically ways this could work. It doesn't take a drunken jester to figure this one out, honestly.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X