Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just how tough are those old Nintendo games?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just how tough are those old Nintendo games?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCLOxK6FpfA

my boyfriend sent me this link yesterday

basically they decided to see how much damage they could inflict on about 8 or 9 NES cartridges before they stopped working.

pretty amazing what these puppies can go through
    especially when you consider how easily you can damage modern game CDs/DVDs

My husband and I stumbled across that a few days ago.

it made me want to go get an NES. ...Games can still be found on eBay. Im honestly thinking about it.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
      it made me want to go get an NES. ...Games can still be found on eBay. Im honestly thinking about it.
      If you have a locally-owned buy/sell/trade game store, they might have NES systems, games, and accessories. There's one in my town...and it is awesome!
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I kept my SNES until 5 or 6 years ago. I sold it for a deal to a girl who's boyfriend wanted her to play The Legend of Zelda; Link to the Past. She was having trouble playing it on an emulator.

(As a console gamer, I don't blame her. Computers are hard!)
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
          (As a console gamer, I don't blame her. Computers are hard!)
          I had to mostly give up console gaming a couple of years ago as my hands tend to cramp button mashing. Once you get used to it- computer games rule.
          "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
          HellGate: London

Comment

You know, I've still got my NES, SNES, and N64 kicking around my apartment. I should plug them in and see if they still work. I love being a PC gamer (but don't tell my Wii or my 360 that...), but those classics pretty much defined my childhood.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I'm a console guy. I actually still had my Sega Genisis and N64 up until about a year ago when my cousin bought them off me for a friend of his.
              "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

My SNES is hooked up at my parents' house for me to play on breaks and, eventually, for my nephew to play when he visits. I just brought the N64 up to my apartment. Had to buy a new adapter for it, but it still works!
                "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Nice video I only have one concern with it.

The washing machine.

While I'm sure it would still survive, if it was in there with clothes there would be a lot more moving around.

Also, did they use hot, warm, or cold water? Cold usually doesn't affect cartridges that much and hot water (under boiling, what's the average "hot" for a washing machine? 130-180 degrees (F)?

But yes, even Arati 2600 cartridges were pretty trough (and I remember my C=64 cartridges taking a beating and still working).

Today you almost need to back up your originals and use the backups.
                  Quote Dalesys:
                  ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

SO's friend's girlfriend still has her NES. Shoot, if a game didn't work, blow on it and voila! It's loaded!!!
                    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                      blow on it and voila! It's loaded!!!
                      That's massively bad for the games, though. You're not only blowing whatever crud is in your mouth on to the connectors, your breath has a high moisture content, making corrosion more of an issue. You're better off with q-tips.
                      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                        That's massively bad for the games, though. You're not only blowing whatever crud is in your mouth on to the connectors, your breath has a high moisture content, making corrosion more of an issue. You're better off with q-tips.
                        True and the same principle applied with my Advance SP cartridges. Still amazed at how resilient the cartridges are compared to the CDs. I wonder with all the kids that have the DS how they don't end up losing those tiny ass chip/cartridge games.
                        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

My parents still have their NES. All the games still work on it too! It's impressive how strong those cartridges are.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                            My husband and I stumbled across that a few days ago.

Used NESs are about a dime a dozen for the original "toaster" model. Trouble is, while they probably still work, the cartridge slots are likely hosed, so you'll either have to put up with a lot a flashing screens and poking at the cartridge, or spring for a "refurbished" model. If you want to go the eBay route, there's a used games dealer I've dealt with several times who I believe to be reputable; PM me and I'll tell you who he is. Otherwise, any local flea market or swap meet should be able to net you a toaster NES for cheap (I picked one up with two controllers, a gray zapper, ten games, and a nice leather case for the games, all for $16).

If you're willing to splurge a bit, go for a "top-loading" NES, sometimes known as the NES2. They are MUCH more reliable than the original model, not to mention smaller and cooler looking. However, they are pretty rare, and so will set you back $75-100 easily. Also, they do NOT have RCA video output, so you can only hook it up via a coaxial RF input.
                            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Still have my original NES and "gold" Legend of Zelda cart.

Dampen a q-tip with deoxit and clean the cart and system interface contacts, works wonders on glitchy systems.
                              “All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X