This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Bow Out Gracefully

Love him or hate him, Conan did the noblest thing anyone could do in his situation. Rather than break a 56-year tradition to make room for the network's golden boy, he simply told them "No" and walked away from a dream he has held and worked for since he was a child. I can't even imagine how hard that must have been to turn his back on everything he ever wanted. That's some serious testicular fortitude, not to mention hardcore fucking honor, and my heart breaks for him.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Conan and have been since I was about 14, when I first watched Late Night. His show is smart, off-the-wall, and not afraid to experiment with something stupid. He's not "edgy," but not afraid to do take a different angle. Hell, the years that he was with SNL and when he was Executive Producer for the Simpsons were the golden years of both shows as far as I'm concerned (not that the Weinstein Bros years of the Simpsons weren't damn good too). He's not afraid to tear down our idols. Not because it's the "popular" thing to do at the moment, but because it's funny.

Jay is alright I guess. I'm not as much of a fan of him as I used to be, mainly because I caught onto his "trying to be funny while playing it safe to keep grandma from changing the channel" bit long ago. I happened to see Jimmy Kimmel last night where he satired Leno, and it was spot on.

To NBC, I hope your happy. You tried to have your cake and eat it too, and in doing so tarnished the reputation of the longest running late night talk show in the history of television, which I'm sure will only cause you to lose more viewers, ratings, and (most coveted of all by networks) sponsors in the long run. May the spirits of Ed Sullivan and Johnny Carson haunt your homes for a hundred years.
    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

NBC is stupid. I am still unclear as to why Leno left the Tonight Show, just to start up a new show which will now, if NBC goes ahead with this, be right back in the Tonight Show's time slot.

And while I am not a fan of Conan, I do admire his stance.

And think it's about damn time he apologized for his hair. Thank you, Conan.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Ugh, been keeping an eye on that one. NBC is a bunch of idiots. I don't watch any of them regularly but I do like Conan, both for being actually funny in the times I've watched him and for coming up genuinely funny original material over the years. Plus the 3 way between him, Colbert and Stewart during the writer's strike was epic.

I've never liked Leno on the other hand, he was never funny and is especially unfunny these days. He just monologues random headlines from earlier that day and adds a "how about that? ha ha" at the end with an applause cue.
      Last edited by Gravekeeper; 01-13-2010, 08:10 PM.

Comment

I remember, and some of you may too, back when Jay Leno WAS funny. Before he started getting groomed to take over for Carson. He was a semi-regular on Letterman, and had this whole Angry Comic thing going. He was not what he is now, which is vanilla safe jokes that will appeal to Aunt Agnes and her bridge club. He wasn't quite edgy, but he definitely didn't play it as safe as he does now, and has for years. He was actually rather funny. I don't blame him for selling out, but I did prefer his act before he became the New Carson.

Still A Customer."

Comment

I am still unclear as to why Leno left the Tonight Show, just to start up a new show which will now, if NBC goes ahead with this, be right back in the Tonight Show's time slot.
          As I understand it, Leno announced way too far in advance that he was going to retire on a certain date. From there, it makes sense that NBC would plan accordingly... so then when the time comes, he decides he doesn't want to retire after all. They've already got a new host hired, but also have a hole elsewhere that needs filling, preferably cheaply. The main problem is that there's a REASON the Tonight Show has always been on when people are sleepy and not thinking too well.
          Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            Exactly

I have always preferred Letterman to Leno, and prefer Craig Ferguson to all of them (puppets and all). I think Conan did exactly the right thing. Who knows...CBS might be giving him a call shortly. Quite frankly, though, they should leave everything as it is and make Leno retire. Everybody wins!
            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Better yet. Just tell Leno, sorry pal, you can have this time slot or this time slot, but not THIS time slot.

Of course, that would involve the network execs to have something we like to refer to as "balls," not to mention another neat little thing we like to call "ethics." Neither of which seem to be in too much supply at 30 Rock.

Still A Customer."

Comment

It seems that when Brandon Tartikoff passed away, the remaining execs were hell bent on getting rid of everything he was responsible for, and the network has been steadily getting worse as a result.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I've never been a fan of Conan, but I don't blame him in the slightest. That is a huge slap in the face!

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                  I have always preferred Letterman to Leno, and prefer Craig Ferguson to all of them (puppets and all). I think Conan did exactly the right thing. Who knows...CBS might be giving him a call shortly. Quite frankly, though, they should leave everything as it is and make Leno retire. Everybody wins!
                  Actually, the only one I watch is Craig. He's less afraid to have less mainstream people on. Especially the music. And I love the puppets. Loved the puppet show.

Letterman just has too much of a mean, nasty edge to him. And that kind of makes him seem like a very small person to me.
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Conan's Revenge

http://failblog.org/2010/01/15/conan-win/
                    "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                    - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      NBC is stupid. I am still unclear as to why Leno left the Tonight Show, just to start up a new show which will now, if NBC goes ahead with this, be right back in the Tonight Show's time slot.

And while I am not a fan of Conan, I do admire his stance.

Stupid or a huge marketing ploy? We'll never know...

NBC was/is failing, they decide to give Conan "The Tonight Show" and move Leno...then suddenly Drama.... with the reality shows being ratings pullers, who is to say this isn't a marketing ploy to regain a following...

As an oldie, I cannot help but say it hasn't been the same since Carson.
                      Everything is great when you're a kid, then you grow up and suddenly you're afraid of the monkey bars...

Comment

Working...
                      X