This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unintentional gallows humour

This came from my first-aid update class today. We got onto the topic of doing CPR and the instructor mentioned there were songs out there to help remember the beats.

I piped up "staying alive and another one bites the dust are two I've heard of"

The instructor then proceeded to shoot back (politely): "Well staying alive is somewhat relevant, but I'm not so sure that you'd want to be singing "Another One Bites the Dust" while you're doing chest compressions!"

He then put on the video from the British Heart Council about doing chest compressions only (For CPR) and the theme of that...hoo boy the humour just kept on coming. (for those who are unfamiliar, the video is here)

The crux of the moment was the suggestion that for a number of the uni students (including me) we could use "baa baa black sheep!" to keep rhythm if we needed to! (because we deal with children)

Anyone else realised the gallows humour AFTER they've said it?
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

When I worked at The Phunny Pharm we had to take a mandatory CPR class. The instructor suggested the two songs mentioned, but also recommended polka songs like Ich kauf' mir lieber einen Tirolerhut ("I'd rather buy myself an alpine hat")
    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

My day has been made. I have CPR/AED recertification in a couple weeks and I will be humming Another One Bites the Dust.

Comment

Not so much gallows humor, but it has raised eyebrows in the past. There is a procedure we do for breast cancer where we bring down the isotope to the rad and the rad injects into the breast. A couple hours later the surgeon removes the lymph node that area drains to and tests it to see if the cancer has spread to the lymph system.

We call it "juicing a boob" and the isotope is "boobie juice."
        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I do a mock code in simulation with my senior nursing students every semester. It is the highlight of the course for most of the students.

Most of them have never been in a real code. They try to do CPR the way we teach it to the general population. You know, "one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand, four one thousand, five one thousand" with a pause for the breath.

Well, in the hospital it's more brisk than that. We still aim for 100 beats per minute, and 20 breaths per minute, but the person managing the airway doesn't wait for the person doing compressions because circulating the blood is much more important. They also have a hard time getting the depth of the compressions right.

And yes, I use "Staying Alive" and "Another one bites the dust" to demonstrate the correct rhythm.

I do urge them to "use your inside voice." But hey, if it works it works.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
            I do a mock code in simulation with my senior nursing students every semester. It is the highlight of the course for most of the students.

Most of them have never been in a real code. They try to do CPR the way we teach it to the general population. You know, "one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand, four one thousand, five one thousand" with a pause for the breath.

Well, in the hospital it's more brisk than that. We still aim for 100 beats per minute, and 20 breaths per minute, but the person managing the airway doesn't wait for the person doing compressions because circulating the blood is much more important. They also have a hard time getting the depth of the compressions right.

And yes, I use "Staying Alive" and "Another one bites the dust" to demonstrate the correct rhythm.

I do urge them to "use your inside voice." But hey, if it works it works.
            We were told NOT to do the "one one thousand" thing period.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post

<snip>

When running resus training I set a metronome app running in the corner of the room at 100bpm and run all sessions at that rate. By the time peoples nerves kick in they run at 110-120bpm, especially during assessments - seems to work for most people.
              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

When I first learned CPR (in the Guides, in the early 90s) we were taught to do compressions to the speed of Nelly the Elephant.

It seemed to work the one time I've had to use it in Real Life (a man collapsed when I was working at Wilkos). He came back a couple of weeks later with flowers for us.

Comment

Quoth emwithme View Post
                  When I first learned CPR (in the Guides, in the early 90s) we were taught to do compressions to the speed of Nelly the Elephant.
                  Nelly is great - not only does it give you the right speed but two verses is 30 compressions so you don't have to remember to count as well.

Nice job on the ROSC - early CPR really helps
                  A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Working...
                  X