This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently I'm Drying Up

Woke up today, opened my eyes and caused a corneal break.

Didn't know what it was, it just hurt, I blinked a few times and it was okay, so I got up and got ready for work. When I got to work, I took a closer look at my eye and could actually see what looked like a nasty scratch on my eyeball

Didn't really hurt anymore, just felt a bit scratchy. I was able to get an appt at a nearby optical place and now I have nighttime eye ointment and an antibiotic. Yikes.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Ew. And glad you can still see!
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Speak to an optometrist.

There are very simple, non-surgical ways to ensure your eyes have a better tear film.
      One such method is to put a tiny plug into one (or more) of the ducts that drains the eye of tears. I'm told this method can be either temporary or permanent; so you can even trial it before making a final decision.

Obviously, your optometrist and/or opthalmologist should be the one(s) to advise you on the best method for you. But I wanted to tell you there are such methods, and at least one of them is very easy and cheap.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
        Speak to an optometrist.

There are very simple, non-surgical ways to ensure your eyes have a better tear film.
        One such method is to put a tiny plug into one (or more) of the ducts that drains the eye of tears. I'm told this method can be either temporary or permanent; so you can even trial it before making a final decision.

Obviously, your optometrist and/or opthalmologist should be the one(s) to advise you on the best method for you. But I wanted to tell you there are such methods, and at least one of them is very easy and cheap.
        Not an optometrist. An ophthalmologist. The former can do basic eye exams, but mostly they fit you for corrective eye devices (eg, glasses, contact lenses).

An opthalmologist is a physician who has specialized in the diseases and trauma of the eye.

Corneal abrasions are common eye injuries. Fortunately, the usually heal quickly, with no long term impairment of vision.

However, eye injuries of any kind represent the kind of serious situation discussed in the Sticky of when to go see a doctor. If anyone ever has a traumatic injury to an eye, see a physician not an optometrist. GP's and ER docs usually have access to a device that will let them do a complete exam of the eye once it's been doused with fluorescein (a harmless dye), and can diagnose/treat simple problems. If it's a complicated problem, they'll refer you to an ophthalmologist.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Seshat, thank you, I was not aware of the plug thingie. And Sapphire Silk, yeah, actually the doc explained it all very well, and he did the dye test (for which I was barely able to not freak out, simply because I hate, loathe & despise anything coming near my eyes. You can imagine the fun I'm having putting in my eye drops, but I'm doing it). I can't even see the mark anymore, he did say that it wasn't major.

I have a follow-up appt. next week. Problem is I have very dry and itchy eyes anyway. So this is something I'll need to careful with from here on.

Comment

If your opthalmologist (thanks Sapphire Silk) has a different recommendation for you, listen to him. The plug thingie is just one option and may not be the right one for you.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              If your opthalmologist (thanks Sapphire Silk) has a different recommendation for you, listen to him. The plug thingie is just one option and may not be the right one for you.
              Yup, I plan to It's just good to know about different options.

Comment

Eek! Glad your doctor has some good options for you.
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Working...
                X