This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventures in hospitals!

I'm going to preface this with saying that the hospital that I was treated at? Fantastic.
    The doctors were prompt, the nurses were kind and understanding of my incoherent ramblings and occasional screams of pain, always had a smile for me.

The only down side for the stay was right out of surgery.
    Long story short, part of one of my kidneys had just been removed, I'm doped to the gills, they roll my bed to the room (I had already been transferred to my hospital bed in the OR.
    Everything is great until they find that....the mechanism that moves the bed up and down is broken or stuck, so hear the worse words of my life " Redbeard? We're going to need you to stand up so that we can change out your bed"
    Not recommended, kiddies. Seriously, I've been mangled, beaten, slid down a mountain path on my knees (needed new pants after that. Shredded all the way down. Ouch), had a car wrapped around me, and NOTHING has been that painful.
    Fortunately my wife and a nurse helped me to stand with the *ahem* "oral waste bag" to catch what little was in me stomach.

Here's a hint: If you want prompt, friendly service at a hospital? Thank the nurses when they help you out, when they help you to the restroom, REALLY thank them when they bring you your pain killers.
    All in all, 4 1/2 stars (Would have been 5, but the "broth" that I was served was bullion cubes in hot water

Good to hear the synopsis, but for those who don't know I got to read the bleary version on FB. Made for interesting reading.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
      Good to hear the synopsis, but for those who don't know I got to read the bleary version on FB. Made for interesting reading.

Rapscallion
      I feel that you're amused mostly at the posts I left while heavily medicated in the hospital and again when I was stoned on meds at home. Many people were

Comment

People who are hopped up on meds can be hilarious.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery, Redbeard.
        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Heh, I still blush when I think of my first post after my cancer operation.
          It's strange how you can feel completely awake and still not make any sense.

Comment

We stayed at a hotel about a block from Yale-New Haven the night of and the night after that of my parathyrodectomy. I was only lightly sedated and had effectively no need for recovery other than to eat, drink and pee, and was out of there within 2 hours after they cut my errant glands out. We went back to the hotel and up to the room where I got into bed and clicked on the TV and hung out while Rob went for a selection of mezze and a gallon of ice tea for the fridge. I sort of drifted in and out of sleep but never really lost any time. I was just really tired and dragged out. [We stayed because I am a very active sleeper and having had my throat cut, I didn't want to rip anything and spring a leak at home where the emergency crew response time is 45 minutes. Flopping around like a fish out of water is usually how I describe my sleep technique.]

In general I pop out of anesthesia pretty quickly, but I will admit that I am fatigued, though alert. someone upstream mentioned that being operated upon is hard work, even if you are just laying there. When I had my first operation for cancer back in 1995, I was so damned fatigued from the stress of diagnosis and arranging for the operation and everything that I felt rested after coming out from under instead of tired. Sort of shows how devastating stress can be.
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Redbeard View Post
              I feel that you're amused mostly at the posts I left while heavily medicated in the hospital and again when I was stoned on meds at home. Many people were
              It was for the right reasons.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                Heh, I still blush when I think of my first post after my cancer operation.
                It's strange how you can feel completely awake and still not make any sense.
                This right here!
                Apparently I decided to play peek a boo with my wife after they got me back into the new bed, but passed out after about 5 minutes "mid peek"
                Last edited by Redbeard; 01-16-2014, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X