This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little help, please....

About a month ago, while grocery shopping, I went to the aisle with the laundry supplies to pick up a jug of detergent. When I got there, a young woman asks me for help getting to a bottle of fabric softener from the top shelf – it’s pushed back on the shelf to where she can’t reach it.

So, I say ‘sure’, and hand the bottle down to her.

She then makes a show of setting the bottle down on another shelf, says ‘Fuck you’ to me, and walks away with her friend, laughing.

Okay, it seemed a little odd to me. But, I just shrugged and went on with my business, and didn’t give it another thought until Monday night – when I got burned again in a similar setup.

I mentioned this to a friend at work, who said he, too, had been the target of this particular prank.

Obviously, this is a trend of some sort. Being an older fellow, I don’t always get the joke, and this one has me completely baffled.

Can somebody clue me in? What’s the appeal in this? Is this just the latest Really Stupid Annoying Thing To Do? And exactly how pathetic is your life if you consider this to be ‘fun’?

wow - wtf? I'm only 4'10"... so if I can't reach, and somebody helps me, I say "Thank You" and go on my way.... that makes no sense to me, those girls are dumb. and crying wolf, and making it suck for the rest of us who do really rely on the kindness of strangers...
    I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Someone like that needs a good comeback. Maybe something like "I'm sorry, I don't think I have the right change. Can you break a five? I'd understand if you're having a hard time finding customers and can't do it, though."

Comment

I was taught to be polite and to say 'thank you' if someone even so much as OFFERED to help. Granted, my years and retail have taught me not to expect 'thank you' from a customer. But a direct, unprovoked insult..... yeah, it sort of stunned me for a moment. I guess it's just the latest way for bored people to get their jollies, I don't know....

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
          Someone like that needs a good comeback. Maybe something like "I'm sorry, I don't think I have the right change. Can you break a five? I'd understand if you're having a hard time finding customers and can't do it, though."
          I don't advocate violence, but what people like that need is to be slapped. HARD. Not enough to cause injury, but enough to let them know their little game isn't appropriate at all. My mother would have beaten me to within an inch of my life if I'd ever done that to somebody - and it wouldn't have mattered to her if I was six or TWENTY-six.
          Last edited by ADeMartino; 04-25-2012, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
            You're way overestimating their prices, Peds.

"Does anyone have change for a nickel?"
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

"I'm not bendy enought to do that." ^^

Comment

"Go die in a fire." Maybe it would be enough to catch them off guard?

People like that need a good smack. They're ruining it for people like me who do need help getting things off high shelves.

Comment

What I would like to do is open whatever it was they wanted, and dump it over them, with a nice smile and an "oops".

However, that would not be nice to the poor store employee who would have to deal with the cleanup, not to mention loss of product.

Madness takes it's toll....
                  Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                    What I would like to do is open whatever it was they wanted, and dump it over them, with a nice smile and an "oops".

However, that would not be nice to the poor store employee who would have to deal with the cleanup, not to mention loss of product.
                    True, but you could pretty much guarantee that the little tart wouldn't pull that prank ever again.

Comment

I will offer to help someone reach something if they're having trouble, and I have occasionally asked a stranger for help if something is out of my reach - with a lot of "So sorry to bother you, but would you be willing to help me for a second?" It makes me really sad to think that basic friendly courtesy and just general being a nice person is going to be discouraged because you can't be sure if the person asking for your help is actually a jerkface trying to exploit you for a cheap laugh. What is there to laugh at about someone being willing to hand you something you can't reach on your own, anyway?

Comment

As I am 6'4" I have gotten that request many a times. Never had someone pull that prank on me. Although I would not really qualify that as a prank.

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                        You're way overestimating their prices, Peds.

"Does anyone have change for a nickel?"
                        I was thinking "Sorry, I am out of quarters."
                        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                        Save the Ales!
                        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Wow. Wow. That is the strangest thing I've ever heard of

Comment

I might try getting security to throw them out. I'm sure the store wouldn't appreciate someone harassing their customers like that.
                            "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

I gotta wonder how old these "young ladies" are. Because this sounds like the sort of thing that would be funny to an 11 year old. Or a 5 year old, but I can't imagine them shopping alone.

Why is it funny? Why is prank calling funny? Why is startling someone funny?

Next time some little snit does this, ask them.
                              Women can do anything men can.
                              But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
                              Maxine

Comment

Working...
                              X