This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone own a Scooter?

Particularly a 50 cc one? I'm looking to buy one since I need my own form of transportation for work in a month.

Am I going to need insurance? What about going to DMV? What kind of care goes into it? Besides keeping it out of the weather?

I know I need to wear protective types of clothes since it'll be like a motorcycle, but any brands, type you recommend?

So many questions.

Edit: I stand corrected, Moped. It still looks like a scooter to me.

I did check for VA laws to make sure I can get one, thank goodness T-T
    Last edited by Caffienated_Caramel; 06-11-2012, 06:42 AM.

The requirements vary from state to state, but in general, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have insurance, if only to cover costs from potential theft.

Comment

Insurance for a 50cc won't be too muc,h. In Texas anything over 90cc and you need a motorcycle license. I had a scooter for a bit, enjoyed it quite a bit. Would get one again if I had the money. As far as what to wear? Clothes and a helmet. A leather jacket wouldn't hurt. It's always best to be safe.

Comment

Indeed so, J owns a motorcycle so I do know I need to wear protective gear. Though it's gonna be hooooot ><

I did look around today at two of the dealers that have them. There's one that's a little far but it looks like the biggest depot of scooters I did see a few riders out and about. It's interesting to seem on the road cuz I don't recall ever seeing them on the road when I lived in Phoenix.

What's funny is when I first heard scooter, I kept picturing one of the hand pushed kid ones back in the day.

Comment

A 50 cc scooter/moped probably has a 2-cycle engine - find out for sure whether it's 2-cycle or 4-cycle. If it's 2-cycle, does it have an oil injection system (like a lot of 2-cycle outboards do), or do you need to mix the gas and oil? If you need to mix them, get yourself a gas can - it's a lot easier to judge how much oil to use because you know how much space is in the can (empty) as opposed to your gas tank, and you can mix it more thoroughly by shaking the can (lid on tightly, please) than in the moped's tank (rely on the incoming gas flow to do the mixing).

As for brands of can, personally I'd stay away from Scepter. Nothing about quality - just that their local facility has made the washrooms "off-limits" to truckers picking up a load, and I don't believe in doing business with companies that mistreat drivers.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Wouldn't that depend on the age of the scooter/moped? All of the newer ones I've seen seem to be just gas. In fact, I couldn't tell you were the oil was on my last one, despite taking it all apart several times. Make sure you have a good battery. Like, not one of the ones you have to add fluid and acid too. Those are a pain.

Comment

Pretty much all new scooters (2012/13 models) in America now are 4-stroke, primarily to satisfy California emissions requirements, and in some cases even needing a catalytic converter to comply.

Comment

Laws vary from state to state, so check your state laws.

Most places will require eye protection, but even if it's not required, it is something I would stress as a Must Have. If you wear glasses already, you're fine. If not, definitely wear shades during the day, and go find some clear protective glasses (non-shaded shades, if you will) for nighttime driving.

Beyond that, it's what you really feel that you need or want, or that you feel comfortable with, though states also have varying helmet laws, so if you don't want to wear one, definitely check to make sure that is an option where you live.

Quoth Caffienated_Caramel View Post
                I don't recall ever seeing them on the road when I lived in Phoenix.
                Trust me, they were there. I saw them, and even rode one for a short time.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Ditto on the eye protection. Head protection as well. As the old joke goes,

"What do you call a motorcyclist without head protection? Answer: an organ donor."

And remember, these things don't go very fast. Be careful of other motorists, who may treat you as an annoyance on the same level of a bicyclist.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    Most places will require eye protection, but even if it's not required, it is something I would stress as a Must Have. If you wear glasses already, you're fine. If not, definitely wear shades during the day, and go find some clear protective glasses (non-shaded shades, if you will) for nighttime driving.
                    Best place for good, cheap cycling eyewear (should be good for mopeds too) is an industrial supply place (Brafasco in the Toronto area, don't know about your neighbourhood). Industrial safety glasses are available in both clear and neutral grey, and are a lot cheaper than shades at a cycling place. Try to get the true wraparounds, rather than the ones with an angle between the lens and the side shield - better peripheral vision.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X