This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needing some Latin help

Okay, I feel like a fool asking, but I need some help with Latin. Basically, I'm co-writing a story where someone is using magic, and has to speak the words. I know next to nothing about Latin, so if there is a reference or some site where I can put words in English and it will properly spit out the translation in Latin.

Please, no Harry Potter sites and no links to Babel Fish.

Thanks!
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Sooo.... Google Translate is right out, then?

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

All I can think of is the Car Talk motto: "non impediti ratione cogitationis"
      Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

I should have a Latin dictionary somewhere, but I'm not sure precisely where.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          Sooo.... Google Translate is right out, then?

^-.-^
          Oh Andara (I kid)

Google Translate was terrible.

This:

Dolor curavit per eam intus me

Comes out as:

The pain caused by it inside of me

Which I'm sure is not right.
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Illegitimi non carborundum

"Don't let the bastards grind you down"

That's the extend of my Latin at the moment and, according to Wikipedia, it's not even real -- it's "mock Latin," whatever that means.

I have a Latin for Dummies and a Latin/English dictionary but they are packed, pending my move, so, sadly, I can't help you much ATM.

Comment

I used this for my Latin class and history capstone as an undergrad: http://archives.nd.edu/latgramm.htm

You can download the program (I did, but sadly, it won't work with my new comp) and it's a great little thing. It's based off Whittaker's Latin.

Oh, and, since I haven't used the online program in a while, I can't guarantee this as a feature, but on the download program it would give multiple meanings for the Latin and for English to Latin it would give conjugates if necessary.
              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Working...
              X