This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psycho Woman from New Jersey

So for the past six months I've been working at a call center for a company that sells jewelry on television *cough*. Not everything about it is horrible, the job is full time with benefits and weekly pay, and we have some great customers. But there have been some doozies like:

* the caller who screamed and cursed at me because the show hostess was talking too fast
    * the obscene phone call
    * the guy who told to "have a crappy day" because his order wasn't shipped overnight like he had paid for, and he had waited a week before calling about it
    * the teenage crank caller who kept saying that her phone number was 877-CASH-NOW
    * the other teenage crank caller who was bored and seemed to think it was my job to entertain her (it's not and I hung up on her)
    * the woman who screamed at me because I asked for the security code from her credit card
    * the customers who tell me they will never shop there again (six and counting...)
    * the customer who apparently bonded with another call center employee named Lori and seemed to think the place was Lori's answering service and could just call up and be transferred to Lori whenever she felt like it
    * if it's not the lonely old ladies talking your ears off it's the gem collectors who are talking your ears off (more annoying than horrible, especially since they all seem to call five minutes before my shift ends and keep me on the phone for 45 minutes)

Anyway, that brings us to Psycho Woman from New Jersey. I was the lucky person who got her call, saying that the ring she ordered hadn't arrived and was wondering where it was. That in itself isn't unusual, I get those calls all the time. So I look up Psycho's tracking number and sure enough her package has been stuck at a post office in Brooklyn for the last five days and doesn't appear to be going anywhere.

Now this is end of the line of what I can do for the customer. I do not have the authority to issue refunds or have replacement packages sent out. That is for the Customer Experience Team (CET) and inform the customer that she will have to get in touch with them to get a refund and/or replacement.

I should also mention that up until this point Psycho Woman has been relatively pleasant. She sounded a little annoyed that she hadn't received her ring yet, but that was understandable. But when I informed her that she would have to call CET, Psycho Woman explodes on me, screaming at me that this isn't HER problem, why am I trying to make this HER problem, she paid for a package that never arrived so now it was MY responsibility to inform CET that her package was lost. Guess what, it isn't and I tell her that.

Pyscho Woman screams at me "Well now, I don't want the ring anymore. What do you think of THAT?"

Newsflash--I don't give a flying fuck, but didn't say that. I just say that I can't cancel the order because it's already been shipped.

Psycho Woman screams at me again "I want to speak to a supervisor because you just keep going bluh bluh bluh bluh bluh bluh and don't know how to ACT!" And yes, that's exactly how she put it. Picture that one condescending mean girl every middle school has and that is exactly what this woman sounded like.

So I transfer the raving maniac bitch over to a supervisor who told her the exact same thing I did.

All that because she would have to make one whole phone call for a ring lost in the mail.

I love retail.
    Last edited by Severen13; 04-06-2018, 03:57 AM.
    I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

But that means the entitled princess would have to do more work....waaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.

People Suck.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I have to say, from the perspective of providing customer service, it would be nice if you could transfer the caller to the other team who can handle her request. I know that's a corporate problem and not your fault, of course.

I've just been dealing with a vendor at work where they cannot transfer me between teams. I am now on the 4th different number I have been given to call. And I am not happy about it. I have not taken it out on the reps, but every call generates a 'How did we do?' survey. My 'other' comments on those have been explicit about how this company could improve their customer service by allowing transfers and maybe, I dunno, listing the full set of bloody department numbers on their website? Rather than one number which is never the team I need and cannot make transfers.

Anyway, sucks to be in your position - you've done your job and no more, but I can empathize with a customer's lack of joy in having to call another toll free number.

Of course, turning into a whiny wreck and complaining about it to the people who already specified they cannot help you doesn't fix the problem and moves you right into SC-land.

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
        I have to say, from the perspective of providing customer service, it would be nice if you could transfer the caller to the other team who can handle her request.
        Normally I would have but the call came in at 1:30 in the morning and CET hours are from 8am-11pm, so there was nothing I could at the moment.

Comment

Quoth Severen13 View Post
          Normally I would have but the call came in at 1:30 in the morning and CET hours are from 8am-11pm, so there was nothing I could at the moment.
          Oh no! Business hours! You did that JUST to torture that poor woman. Meanie!

Seriously, there's only 9 hours in a day that the CET isn't open. But then again, the name of this site is.... We aren't here for the shining examples of humankind bettering itself.

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of call center hell.
            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I used to work for nationwide dial-up internet service. Their billing hours were 9-5 EST. Which sucked, because when people tried to get on their internet at night and found their service suspended, boy did they get mad. We(tech support) had the ability to
              One time unsuspend accounts, but that lasted 24 hours. Which meant most people forgot to call billing and were back to us.

Fun fact I learned after working there for a year or two, the other facility that handled the same calls we did, also handled all the billing. Most of their tech supervisors were also trained in billing. If they got the call at their facility they'd just renew the account. We couldn't do this, and a few times got customers who said the famous words," well, they did it for me last time." Which in this case was true and made us look like idiots.

Comment

* the teenage crank caller who kept saying that her phone number was 877-CASH-NOW
                Brb, blowing my head off. Goodbye cruel world.

I HATE those commercials. Nothing will make me change the channel faster.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                  Welcome to the wonderful world of call center hell.
                  Yup. Lucky me.

Comment

Had another customer scream at that she is never shopping there again. That makes seven now. I am just that good.

Comment

Had another customer scream at that she is never shopping there again. That makes seven now. I am just that good.
                      Sounds like you have a contest going on. Are you leading?
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                        Sounds like you have a contest going on. Are you leading?
                        Just keeping a qausi-record of how many times I get screamed at for something that wasn't my fault.

Comment

Working...
                        X