Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The overcomer of SC's everywhere (I need a cape)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The overcomer of SC's everywhere (I need a cape)

Look, up in the sky, it’s a bird, it’s a plane….wait…this is me we are talking about. I’ll start again. Look, down on the couch, it’s a stump, it’s a rock…no, it’s Bob the Goat, defender of Customer Servants everywhere!

(I love cheesy intros)

So, I took a break and ran to my favorite place in the world to get a double cheeseburger. They have a playland, but it is not frequently used. I was sitting there enjoying the warm salty greasy goodness when a mom pushes the door open and lets two kids into the store, then walks out and gets back in her car. The two kids, about 5, made a bee line for the playland. They began screaming at the top of their lungs and throwing balls at the large windows, turning the store into a mega sized drum, that I was trapped inside. I turn back around, hoping to see the mom about to come tell her children to stop being animals. Her car was gone.

I walked up to the counter and told the kid working there that she left them. He said he would send a manager out. I went back and sat guarding the door to the playland. When the manager walked toward the playland I told him that she had been gone about 5 minutes. He asked if it was a woman with short straight blonde hair. I said yes. He said “She does this all the time. Our hands are tied, because we have a corporate policy that we have to attempt to contact the parents, and if they respond, we have to wait up to two hours before calling the police. She knows that and uses us for 2 hours of daycare.”

I said “That is about the single largest load of bullcrap I have ever heard.”

The manager walked into the playland and asked the kids where their mom was. They said “she left us here. You can call her if you want.”

I flipped out my cell phone and called the cops. The managers hands may be tied, but mine are not. I told the police what was going on. They said that they had an officer that deals with social work cases and he would be there in 5 minutes. I waited about 3 minutes. I went into the playland and asked the kids for mommy’s phone number.

I called the lady and said “Maam, I am at the McDonalds, are you aware you left your children here?”

Her: Yes, I am on my way to get them now. I will be there in about an hour.

Me: Well, you may want to call the police department to find out where they are by then.

Her: You have a corporate policy that you have to wait up to two hours after contacting me to call the police. Talk to the store manager.

Me: Do you remember the beginning of the conversation where I introduced myself…I do not work for McDonalds. I am what you call a concerned citizen. The fact that you abandon your children at McDonalds is reprehensible. The police will be here any second to take your children. I hope that the next time you see them it is thru bars.

The officer showed up. I repeated every word of our conversation, including the part where she notified me of how long she would be. The McDonalds is just past a traffic light. About 3 minutes later she came SCREAMING up to the traffic light, slowed to about 10 MPH, and pulled thru the red light, cutting off a car coming the other direction. She jumped out of the car and came running up to the officer and I. She started to speak but the officer interrupted her

Officer: Are you the mother of those children?

Her: yes

Officer: First, I am putting you under arrest for reckless driving and running a redlight. Second, I have secured a statement from this gentleman here, and the store manager about what happened today, and about other similar incidents in the past.

Me: (To officer) You may also want to know that the store manager keeps an incident log. Such a thing would probably be recorded. You can use that also.

Her: But I didn’t do anything wrong…

Me: maam, who was watching your children for the last half hour?

Her:…uuhhh…the employees.

Me: This is not a daycare, this is not a babysitter service, this is a restaurant. Nowhere is there a sign telling you what the hourly rates are for McKidwatch.

The officer snickered. I told him that I had to leave, I was late getting back from lunch. I gave him my contact info, and told him where I worked. 2 hours later the officer stopped into my work and came to tell me that there was a good chance that her children would be taken from her and given to their father. He then asked to see my boss. He told my boss why I was late, and that he was going to submit me for a “Good Samaritan award”.

Thank you.

Sometimes corporate really does tie up an employee's hands . . .it is nice to see a customer jump the loop.

Those children might just have a shot at being a productive part of society and contributing as a story giver to this site (instead of being subject material like they are headed for with her)

Comment

That is awesome. You rock.

I'm dedicating the next drink to you.
      Flood

Comment

Super bob the goat saves the day again!

Great job.

Comment

Good job, Bob!

Hopefully, the kids will be better off with their dad than with Mommie Dearest. I suspect she's going to be cooling her heels and thinking about her actions for a very long time.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Bob, you are the awesomest!

Having worked in family law, I will bet she fought tooth and nail to get custody of those children. Old, sad story.

A company can have policies, but if the policies break the law, then the company could be held responsible. If those children had gotten hurt, you know she would have sued.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Bob, you are a true hero and I sincerely hope you get that Good Samaritan award. That woman was a reprehensible piece of garbage.

Comment

I love you. That is all.
                How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

I said “That is about the single largest load of bullcrap I have ever heard.”
                  I concur. I can't believe they actually expect the employees to be responsible for abandoned children for 2 hours or more. (Yes, I would consider them to be abandoned, even if it's only a couple hours.) Unfortunately, I can believe that a parent would do that.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I think I love you.

Comment

That is absolutely awesome!! Hope you win the award!
                      GFY

Comment

I can't believe how that woman just ditched her kids at McD's to play while she went off to do whatever she wanted. Actually, I should say that I can kind of believe this thing would happen since this is America in 2007.

My parents used to sit and supervise my brother and I when we went to playgrounds like that. And that was back in the day before all of these restaurants went to safety padded playgrounds. They weren't stupid. And if we did get hurt, chances are it was because we were horsing around and deserved to have a bruise or a small cut.

I don't know why, but this woman's antics almost sound like something Britney Spears would do.
                        Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

That is such a sweet thing for you to do! What if she was able to keep leaving her children there (and no injury would come of them)? Who knows what kind of people they would grow up to be like? What kind of mental problems they could develop (as in 'mommy never cared about us' or something of that nature).

Purposely leaving a child at a restaurant is bad. Purposely leaving a five year old (or two) by themselves (even at home) is just wrong.
                          This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

you rock, mate! good work

Comment

As a mother of a horde of screaming heathens (four, at last count... did I miss one again? j/k) I want to thank you!

I would never even think about leaving any of my kids somewhere for a minute, let alone an hour or two! Just the thought of some *explitive deleted* leaving her little ones alone like that makes me want to do some wood-chipping (with their faces).

If you were close by and the award was a voting thing... You'd have mine!
                              hea·then [hee-thuhn] noun
                              1. an unconverted individual that does not acknowledge the God of the Bible.
                              2. an irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized person.
                              3. the children of NotSoInnocent.

Comment

Working...
                              X