This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• achievement unlocked

Dealing at euchre, my team is at 9 points. turn up jack o'spades. my hand is 9 of diamonds, jack o'clubs, ace,king,queen of spades.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

For those of us unfamiliar with euchre, what are the implications of what happened to you?
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I pick up the jack, discard the 9 to go down to 5 cards. Then it is the 5 highest value cards in the game with that suit being trump. It's not only an autowin but a flawless victory right at the point where we only needed 1 point to win. In euchre the cards value goes Jack of the suit, Jack of the same color but other suit (called right and left bowers) ace king queen for most powerful.
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

More or less its a moment where you just show your hand and say "Sorry about your luck." since you can not possibly lose the round.

Comment

I've manged that once in all my years of playing Euchre. Usually, someone triggers our usual Mulligan house rule.

Congrats on a perfect hand.
          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I can just imagine a 4-handed game of Draw (or any other flavour without community cards) poker where ALL the players have royal flushes (or WSOP, where they play Texas Hold 'Em, having a hand in the finals where the 5 community cards make up a royal flush). What would happen in a case like that?
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              What would happen in a case like that?
              I believe the suits are also ranked, although I don't remember the order off the top of my head.

'grats on the luck o' the draw there gremcint. Isn't that always the way though? Only need ONE point to win, and get that smackdown hand. Never see it when you need a boatload of points.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                What would happen in a case like that?
                When all players are "Playing the Board" (ie: the cards on the table) it's a split pot, where the pot is split evenly among those still involved. The only way you wouldn't get an "even share" is if the amount you contributed times the number of players involved was less than the total pot divided by the players involved. That would only happen if you went All In while the other players continued betting over top of that.

Pretty sure it's the same in draw and other Poker hands, at least in tournament play. AFAIK the suits have know official ranking.

SC
                "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
                  AFAIK the suits have know official ranking.
                  I stand corrected, thank you. I wiki'd and it's just for piddly stuff - deal first when high card is a tie, etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X