Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first name is a traditionally Irish male name that was uncommon in the US until recent years introduced it more widely via an actor having the same name. I didn't even meet another male with my name until I was 15, but knew a half dozen females with it. It led to a lot of "you've got a girl's name!" conversations, early in life.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
      My first name is a traditionally Irish male name that was uncommon in the US until recent years introduced it more widely via an actor having the same name. I didn't even meet another male with my name until I was 15, but knew a half dozen females with it. It led to a lot of "you've got a girl's name!" conversations, early in life.
      Funnily enough, my name originated as a boy's name, but cuz it's now known almost exclusively as a girl's name, I don't get that shit, luckily.
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
        I sometimes get people insisting that my name must be short for something. Say my name's Jen, and people insist it must be short for Jennifer. No, my name isn't short for anything. If they act surprised, I'll explain that my surname was long, so my parents wanted me to have a short first name. Usually that gets them to shut up about it.
        I worked with a boss like that. Her name is Kim. That's it, Kim. Not short for Kimberly or anything like that. Just Kim.

Comment

I used to work with a Kate. Not short for Katherine, or even Katie; just Kate. Her mother gave her the short name to stop her getting nicknames. Alas for Kate's mother; Kate soon ended up with the nickname of "Bob". XD

Cookies for the reference.
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
            I used to work with a Kate. Not short for Katherine, or even Katie; just Kate. Her mother gave her the short name to stop her getting nicknames. Alas for Kate's mother; Kate soon ended up with the nickname of "Bob". XD

Well, I don't know the reference, but it's funny about the nickname thing. My name is the feminine of a male name, and that male name is my dad's name. For example, Henrietta and Henry. I have never gone by the male form, not because I care that it's a guys name, but because it's my dad's name. So I've never had a nickname, and I would have liked to have one. In fact, I like the idea of naming a kid with a pretty long name, and purposefully shortening it.

But I know people who definitely don't, and that's their business. I don't like when they get all sarcastic about it. Sometimes if someone has a name which is commonly shortened, like Michael, I'll ask if he prefers Mike or Michael. Most people just tell me the answer, but some will say "my name is Michael, so I would PREFER to go by that." In a mean tone and I'm like I was asking so that I could call them what they like, not to somehow insult them.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post

Blackadder

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                Well, I don't know the reference, but it's funny about the nickname thing. My name is the feminine of a male name, and that male name is my dad's name. For example, Henrietta and Henry. I have never gone by the male form, not because I care that it's a guys name, but because it's my dad's name. So I've never had a nickname, and I would have liked to have one. In fact, I like the idea of naming a kid with a pretty long name, and purposefully shortening it.
                I'll go with Wilhelm and Wilhelmina :P
                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                  You answered well... My reaction is to act like Dwight Schrute.

FALSE. Names can be spelled however a person wants.

And I'll be honest, some spellings make me roll my eyes a bit, but that doesn't mean that they're wrong. Arg.
                  FACT: Bears eat beets.

Comment

Quoth The Braindead Live View Post
                    FACT: Bears eat beets.
                    Battlestar Galactica.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                    X