X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice regarding overpaying for gas money since 2013

This is concerning my husband.

He depends on a male friend of his, who lives at the same apartment complex we also live at.

Because neither on of us has a car, he depends on his male friend for transportation regarding going to the grocery store, errands once in a while, and to and from work when it is not advisable to take public transportation.

His male friend has charged him anywhere between $10.00 to $20.00 for gas money. I told my husband back then that I felt he was being charged too much, but he did not want to change anything. This has been going on for 4 years.

We are at the point that we need to save every penny we can, and transportation cost is a big chunk of it. All 3 of us live at a city government subsidized income based apartment complex, so moving out is not an option due to our finances.

How should we approach his male friend regarding the over-payment for gas money? He is expecting us to continue doing this even though recently my husband convinced him to charge him less. I still feel that we should not have to pay due to the over-payments.

What is the best solution to this problem?

First of all, gas isn't the only expense for a car. I've heard of tax departments allowing a 55 cent per mile writeoff. Recently the paper listed 5 year ownership costs (10 cheapest) being in the neighbourhood of $30,000 (works out to $6000/year). Assuming "rule of thumb" 1000 miles/month, that works out to the CHEAPEST cars to operate being around 50 cents per mile. $10 per trip would cover 20 miles of car expenses.

Next, what sort of scenario is it when you or your husband needs a ride? Would the friend be making the trip anyway (going to the grocery store, lets your husband know, and asks if he needs to make a grocery run too), or not (husband needs to go somewhere, friend takes him even though friend would otherwise have stayed home)? If the former, it sounds like a bit much. If the latter, the friend's time is worth something. Back when I was working in a machine shop, I gave a couple co-workers rides home on a regular basis (they didn't have cars, buses going anywhere near the place didn't run at night). I asked them for roughly what bus fare would have been, and it was a fair price since they lived in my neighbourhood so it didn't take me far out of my way.

Also, consider what's likely to happen if you push. The rides are likely to dry up - can you and your husband afford taxi service?
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Can you give us a better idea of what fee was for what distance/time? Where does friend live in comparison to you?

Comment

Quoth Slayer View Post
        Can you give us a better idea of what fee was for what distance/time? Where does friend live in comparison to you?
        All 3 of us live in the same apartment complex.

He drove my husband to and from work when needed, which is approximately 15 minutes away from where all 3 of us live.

Originally he was charging $20.00 round trip when either driving my husband to work or picking him up from work.

The grocery store is approximately 5 minutes away from where we live.

Originally he was charging $10.00 round trip when taking us grocery shopping and taking us home.

So what is a fair rate for him to charge for both of these individually?
        Last edited by snugglegirl05; 02-20-2017, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Again, would he have made the trip anyway (as in the example I gave - he's going grocery shopping, and asks if your husband wants to come along), or was the trip entirely for your husband's benefit (takes your husband to the store, waits while your husband shops, then brings him back)? Same trip, different circumstances.

For the first case, the marginal cost to the friend is virtually nothing (picking up/dropping off your husband within the apartment complex, assuming your husband doesn't walk over to the friend's place and back home from there), and any additional use of friend's time would also be minimal (your husband takes a bit longer doing his shopping than the friend does).

For the second case, your husband is consuming the friend's time for the entire duration of the round trip, and all of the vehicle expenses for the trip are due to your husband's needs.

Naturally, a fair price for the second case would be significantly higher than for the first case.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I'm the sort of person who would generally pay the friend driving the same amount as I'd end up paying a taxi to get somewhere. If the friend offers because they are going there anyway then I'd offer up a token amount just for the convenience. But that's just me.

In regards to saving money I'd probably find the cheapest way to your destination and back - it's it's bus one way and then taxi back, that's what I personally would do. But everybody is different.

Comment

Offer and acceptance equals a contract for sale.

You agreed on a price. He delivered and you paid. You have no legal grounds for recourse. Was it too much? Was he gouging you? Maybe. But that is what was agreed on.

If you try to force him to pay you back, he could say "It is not worth the hassles. Go find a ride elsewhere." Or he could say "The price just doubled." Then what would you do? You have two choice:
              1. Accept his terms
              2. Look elsewhere

You can ask, but you have no leverage to force him. And, it could put your ride at risk. Think it over carefully.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
              X