Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 1/2 German, 1/4 Irish and 1/4 Swedish with a splash of English. Ancestry's DNA ethnicity percentages on the other hand are:
    Great Britain 84%
    Scandinavia 11%
    Native American <1%
    Finland/Northwest Russia 1%
    Europe West <1%
    Ireland <1%
    Europe East <1%

My maternal grandfather was first generation Irish-American, yeah his parents were both born in England but his paternal grandparents were born in Ireland and his maternal great-great grandmother was born in Ireland so we go with him being Irish - it's cause of the red hair.

I have my Swedish side traced back to the 1600/1700s \0/ go me . My maternal great-great grandfather changed his last name when he immigrated to the US from Sweden w/ absolutely no mention of this anywhere in family history nor in his naturalization papers. Found out when I started tracing him - luckily I had his birthdate and hometown/village/croft.

My maternal aunt has always stated that there was Indian (Chippewa) in her lineage (it actually showing up in my DNA test surprised the hell out of me since I thought it was just wishful thinking) and because of the Irish and Swedish sides being eliminated that only left the Glines/Hills lines and I can only go back so far with them - Wisconsin, Ohio, Vermont. The Chippewa was supposedly the mother of a great-great-great and so on grandmother. Le sigh. Probably the same grandmother claiming direct lineage to John Hancock - THE John Hancock.

The German is on my dad's side - we've been here since 1749 (refreshed by my great-grandmother's immigration in 1914) helping the Thirteen Colonies win their freedom, fighting on both sides of the Civil War and just running around doing what people do to populate a new land. And since Dad's side has been here longer I think that any Indian that's in my DNA is probably from a woman who married into the family on his side and not on my Mom's side...but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Cia; 04-19-2014, 07:26 AM.
    Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Working...
    X