This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tell your mother she spelled your name wrong."

I have a very French first and last name, and come from French Canadian stock. My real name is a very uncommon spelling of an uncommon name, that's popular is French speaking parts of the world. It's still used in English parts of the world, but with a much more common spelling. Pretend for this story my name is Suzanne, and the common spelling in America is Susan.

Now, I was on the Express lane at Fresh Market, checking out customers with my usual speed and cheeriness. Old Man came up to my register, forgot his wallet, got out to get it, then came back in. He was polite and cheerful throughout the entire transaction, and he seemed like a nice guy. As he was sliding hus debit card, he let loose this gem.

"Tell your mother she spelled your name wrong."

" You mean my dad spelled my name wrong?"

"But..."

"This is also the French spelling of it..."

"....Oh."

"And I am French."

"...oh."

He slunk away.

Who the hell SAYS that?
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

You're DOING IT WRONG AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

In this day and age, with everyone getting fancy with their name spelling, you'd think people wouldn't feel the need to comment. I could understand if it's an exotic-sounding name, they might be curious as to its origin. But to declare someone's parent spelled it wrong is just ignorance.

Comment

How rude! Nasty man.

Comment

You answered well... My reaction is to act like Dwight Schrute.

FALSE. Names can be spelled however a person wants.

And I'll be honest, some spellings make me roll my eyes a bit, but that doesn't mean that they're wrong. Arg.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Who the hell SAYS that?
          Assholes, that's who. Bored assholes with nothing better to do. At least he slunk away instead of pressing the matter, as it seems he at least realized that he had struck a nerve.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Same thing happened to my sister when she worked at Kohl's. Her name is one that has two possible spellings. Somebody looked at her name tag and said, "Oh, they spelled your name wrong!"

Both stupid AND ignorant.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Makes me wonder if my sister gets this often. She has a common name with an uncommon spelling. Wonder how often she gets told our parents spelled her name wrong.

I felt this was relevant.
              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                You answered well... My reaction is to act like Dwight Schrute.

The more you post the more I wish I knew you IRL.

As for the O.P., all I can say about that overgrown child is "Who says that??" indeed. And how you answered is absolutely perfect! Well done.
                Last edited by Food Lady; 04-17-2016, 03:40 AM.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

"Tell your parents they forgot to teach you manners."

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
                    In this day and age, with everyone getting fancy with their name spelling, you'd think people wouldn't feel the need to comment.
                    Sadly, that's exactly why some people think they "have" to comment & "stand up for the old ways" (show how much of an over-entitled jerk they are.)
                    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                      The person can also pronounce it anyway he wants. I remember when I was a kid, I was riding my bike with one of my friends, and we passed a house with the last name "Sloppy" on the mailbox. I thought it was pretty funny, but my friend knew the guy, and apparently he pronounced it "Slope-y."

And I remember the late great George Carlin making the same point.

"You can pronounce your name however you want. Your name could be S-M-I-T-H, and you could pronounce it 'Jonofsky' if you wanted."

"What's the name?"

"Jonofsky."

"How do you spell that?"

"S-M-I-T-H."

"Huh???"

"They're all silent, never mind!"
                      Sometimes life is altered.
                      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                      Uneasy with confrontation.
                      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I've had that happen to me quite frequently. My first name is one that happens to have many different spellings, mine happens to be the most basic but still one of the least used. I have people that insist on spelling it different ways, even after I have spelt it out for them, even had bosses do so. I once had a lady at the license bureau insist that it was wrong when I was renewing my license, had to get her manager involved cause she insisted on correcting it to the way she wanted it spelled and was giving me all my paperwork with her spelling on it and wouldn't even look at any of my ID with the correct spelling, including my birth certificate. Her daughters name was spelt that way, therefore so must mine be.

Comment

My last name (like most) was brought to the US and changed a bit. Most other families with that name chose to change it to a certain spelling. Mine didn't, they left out one letter that the other families included. One letter. It's not even that common of a last name, not like Smith or something, a name that people are used to seeing.

So we have a row of mailboxes in our hallway. When I moved in I filled out the card and the mailman wrote my last name correctly on the back of the box. Some time later I noticed that he changed it, to add that extra letter. Dude, it was right before. All my mail comes spelled different than what he wrote. I seem to get all my mail, so it's not a big deal, it just make me blink.

Food Lady, I'm so sarcastic and irritable in person. I think I translate better online.
                          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I used to work with a girl named Krystle (variation of Crystal)
                            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

While my name (Joseph) is common, the short form I use (Seph) isn't, and is often pronounced Seth
                              Seph
                              Taur10
                              "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Working...
                              X