This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, what do you want me to do?

Friday, the last call of the day I took again - seriously!

Now, it was roughly 3:45pm, and I leave at 4pm. The hospital is open until nine, and our last scheduled appointment (each appointment is half an hour) is at 7:30pm (so that we have an hour to catch up before we actually close.)

All the appointments after I would leave were already booked, and Saturday appointments were all booked as well (Sat appointments tend to book solid by Thursday at the absolute latest.)

I get a call, lady believes her dog has an ear infection. Wants him to be seen.

"Oh, well I have a 4:30pm open today, do you think you could make that?"

"I'm driving home from work right now, I wouldn't make that in time," she answered, pretty coldly. As if I should be able to predict what she is doing at the time of the call.

I apologize that we don't have any open appointments for the rest of the day, or tomorrow, but mention I do have my first appointment for Monday wide open at nine in the morning!

"I WORK," she says, her tone implying that I should be aware of this and that I'm horrible for even mentioning it. "I work nine to five so I can't come during the week!"

Unfortunately, all my appointments for after five in the afternoon on Monday are booked, but I inquire if she could make a seven in the evening on Tuesday.

"Don't you think that is a little long to wait for an ear infection?" she asks, sniffing once into her phone.

"Yes I do," I think, annoyance tugging at my stomach. "But YOU were the one who so adamantly declared that you wouldn't be able to make the appointments I've already offered.

"Can't I just come pick up antibiotics?"

"Unfortunately," I chirp, glancing at one of the techs who is looking at me with that sympathetic, knowing gaze, "there are three different things that could be the infection. Bacteria, yeast, or mites - or it could be all three at the same time. Antibiotics would only help if it was bacteria, which is why we have to test what is in the ear."

The technician lifts her hand and gives me a thumbs up, praising my clear and accurate explanation. She then hurries off into the back.

"Well, I think he should be seen then," the woman is saying, even as my eyes glass over.

"Well," I reply, tapping my pen against my keyboard. "We certainly can see you at any time you would like, but if there is no open appointment, it would be considered an emergency appointment. That fee is $160, with everything else done charged at the same price that it would've been with a normal appointment." I had neglected to mention this because I had already predicted what the answer would be, and I was not disappointed.

"I'm not paying $160 for the doctor to look at my dog for five minutes and tell me that he has an ear infection!" she says.

I sigh in my head, even as the technician reappears and sticks a chocolate chip cookie next to my mouse pad with a grin on her face. I don't bother explaining to her that the $160 is because we are forcing her into an appointment that doesn't exist, making our schedule late for other clients who did have appointments. She would literally be paying the extra $70 for us to create an appointment slot for her.

Instead, I say, "Well, it is very common that we get cancellations on Saturdays. So, for now, I recommend that we book you into the seven on Tuesday, just to be sure you have that appointment, and then we'll call you if anything cancels tomorrow. It will be very tight, will you be available all day tomorrow in case we get that cancellation?"

"Yes, I suppose that will have to do."

"You're damn skippy it will 'have to do', it's the only option you have left!"

"Perfect then, I've put you into the Tuesday and we'll contact you if anything opens tomorrow."

The technician pops back out at this time and sees me dropping the phone back into the cradle. She leans her arms on the high counter and plunks her cheek in her hand, like a little kid about to be told a story.

"So, what was that one about?" she asks.

"Pretty standard," I answered, breaking the cookie into quarters and noticing with glee that it was soft baked. "My dog needs to be seen when I want it to be, even if you don't have an appointment, but how DARE you think to charge me more. I was half expecting her to demand me to call another owner and cancel their appointment."

"What was it?"

"Ear infection. Which, since she was driving home at the time of the call, she would've known about it before she went to work this morning... if she had called this morning, I still would've had appointments open for her tonight. We had that seven this evening open until at least one in the afternoon."

By the way, the cookie was gooey and delicious.
    Last edited by AmbrosiaWriter; 05-08-2016, 02:49 PM.
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

OMG, story of my LIFE! I had one person demand that I bump somebody and put her in their time slot. got super huffy and complained 'upstairs' when I refused to do that.

Comment

I get something similar-people who call into my cellphone store who think that I should *drop everything* and help them over the phone...instead of the dozen or so customers who got up off of their lazy asses and actually came into the store for help. Sorry, but I'll have to ask you to call back-what's that? It's an EMERGENCY? Then I suggest you call corporate tech support, or-and I know this sounds crazy, but bear with me here-come into the store and wait your damn turn.

Kthanksbye!
      "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
      -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Poor dog

My vet was a godsend for allowing unscheduled dropoffs when my cat was sick. There was a fee, I don't remember how much I think it was around $30, but it was worth it.

Comment

Our vet is pretty good. The last time we had an emergency, I noticed at 9 a.m. that one of our cats had a weepy eye. Since she's a strictly indoor cat I suspected she'd gotten something in her eye, so called the vet right away. They told me to bring her in at 2 p.m., so at 1:45 I was in the waiting room with a large peeved cat in a carrier. I got to go in right away, and by the time my cat had been diagnosed with a scratched cornea, probably from kitty litter, and given meds it was about 2:15. No problem at all, but I think the only reason why I got in so quickly was because I called in as soon as I noticed her eye.

When I worked at the military hospital as a clinic receptionist people would often demand that I bump other patients, particularly high-ranking officers and those who were on flying status. Neither of these things impressed me; while I grew up a military dependent, my dad was an enlisted personnel officer, so trying to intimidate me with rank or flying status didn't work at all. Plus, my boss told me to always treat each patient the same regardless of rank or status (which I would have done anyway) and I wasn't about to bump someone just because someone else with more status said I should. I was (and still am) stubborn that way.

Comment

Definitely a special snowflake. Wants everyone else to adjust their schedules for her because... reasons? Oh, right. Work.

A year or so ago my cat had diarrhea for three days and I was freaking out. He was pretty miserable. On day two I called the vet and they said if he was still having problems the next day to bring in a stool sample. It was a Saturday, and they close early, and I had work. Guess what? I asked to leave early. I didn't rail at the vet, I just dealt with it. I may have burst into tears and scared my manager. (I cry like twice a year, this was completely out of nowhere) Kitty was fine, that was the last day of diarrhea, never did figure out the problem.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Story of my life. I work in health insurance and help people find appointments with doctors in their network, but some of the IDIOTS.

"I fell and hit my head and I've been throwing up for days and I'm dizzy and can't stand up! I need an appointment with a neurologist today!"

GO TO THE E.R.! Holy crap XDDDDDDDD

Comment

I love how she says, "I WORK!" As if you don't, yet there you are sitting in the vet's office doing what...? WORKING.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Minflick View Post
                  OMG, story of my LIFE! I had one person demand that I bump somebody and put her in their time slot. got super huffy and complained 'upstairs' when I refused to do that.
                  This is also my life as a pizza delivery driver.

**WHINE WHINEEEEEEEE whine**** WHY does it take a WHOLE HOUR to get my pizza order????? ******WHINE WHINE*******

BECAUSE a whole LOTTA other people ordered BEFORE you cupcake and remember kids this is a FRIDAY night (Gods help you if it were after a home football game). Sorry but whining about it and begging for faster delivery will not get you anywhere.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                    Gods help you if it were after a home football game
                    Oh Lawdy. Same way back home -- If the Saints were winning at halftime, all five lines would start ringing off the hooks until play resumed..."What? No, the delivery time of an hour+ does NOT mean that the pizza has been sitting there for an hour...And no, we can't call any more drivers in, they're all on the clock already!" -- If they were losing at halftime, the phones just stopped ringing for an hour or so. Thus, we sent a bunch of folks home and had an uninterrupted hour to clean up the place. Similar things happened based on winning/losing the actual game. Don't even get me started on the StupidBowl every year...
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The fact that you called it "StupidBowl" says a lot, actually. <-- sympathetic frown
                      1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                      -----
                      http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

With a bit of planning (of course, SCs don't do that), it should be easy to get your pizza at halftime.

1) Develop a reputation as a good customer. How to do that involves some topics better suited to Fratching.

2) A couple days before the game, put in a timed order for game day at (whenever halftime is expected to be) O'clock.

Your order will be in the system BEFORE the crowd of "It's halftime - gotta order a pizza" people reach for their phones.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          . Similar things happened based on winning/losing the actual game. Don't even get me started on the StupidBowl every year...
                          YUP same here with nationally known small town home football team. The Super Bowl, if home team is not playing is sort of busy (not the knock down drag it out blow it out business that happens IF home town team is playing but it usually dies after half-time anyway).

Yes I did work the last time home town team was in the Super Bowl. GREAT NIGHT.
                          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                          X