X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returns are hard- two tales from a lowly worker

In which I apparently don't understand, and I get yelled at

So yesterday I was at the service desk, minding my own business (Read- chatting with a co-worker and sipping my mint mocha frappachino mmmm) when this little old lady comes hobbiling up. Seeing no return in her hand I waved her over to me, as I have quickly found out that doing returns is terribly boring, so anything different offers a pleasent break. She hobbles up to me and presents me with a receipt, which has a return slip which is dated 5/15 stapled to it. In her other hand she has her bank statement. She was foreign, so it was a little hard to understand her heavy accent at times, but what I figured out is that we had sent a return to her card on 5/15, it was not showing on her latest bank statement, she wanted store credit instead.

ME: I'm sorry M'am but I can't give you store credit, we've already sent the return. Have you called your bank?
    Old Crotchity Lady: No, your girl sent it wrong, I want my money.
    ME: I'm sorry m'am but this receipt here shows we did our part. We send the return right away, but it's up to your bank to decide how quickly it gets processed, I suggest you call them and see what they see.
    OCL: No,YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND I want store credit, I DIDN'T GET MY MONEY!!! It's not on my statement SO I WANT STORE CREDIT (yes, she did alternate. It was weird o.o)!
    ME: M'am we have submitted the money to your card... you need to call your bank...

Lather, Rinse, Repeat, until-
    OCL: Why can't you call them for me, it's your mistake so you should fix it.
    ME: Because m'am, I am not authorized on the account, they are not going to talk to me about your account or your card. You need to call if you are worried about the return we processed, we have done our part.
    OCL: So your not going to call?
    ME: No.
    OCL: Where is the manager's office?
    ME: *As I spoke, out of habit I looked towards the back, as that is the employee's only area and that is where we have our Manager office* I would be happy to call one up for you
    OCL: *follows my gaze* Oh, in the back. No I'll just go.
    ME: M'am, you can't go back there, it's in an employee only portion of the store, I would be more than happy to call one up for you... * motions to the phone right next to me to show her I wouldn't get a chance to say anything to them that she wouldn't hear*
    OCL: *waves her hand dismissivly as she walks away* No I'll just go talk to him....
    ME: Okay.... (under my breath- I hope you get your ass kicked out of the back...)

In which a customer admits she doesn't understand, I get yelled at anyway.

So this lady comes up to return something, very simple, basic return, she has her receipt and everything. It comes to $10.81, and she paid with a CC. Store policy is you get the return back the way it was paid for, so as to discourage someone who might return something of someone else's to get cash or store credit. This lady is extremly pleasent and friendly, even joking around with me until I get to the end stage-

ME: Alright, well that's $10.81 and we're going to go ahead and send that right back to your card.
    Psycho Lady: WHAT!?! No no NO. I want store credit, I have shoping to do.
    ME: I'm sorry m'am, it was paid for with a credit ca-
    PL- NO!! IT WAS PAID FOR WITH A DEBIT CARD.
    ME: O.O' Okay, well it looks like it was run through as credit.
    PL: NO!! I don't understand, I ALWAYS pay with my debit.
    ME: *points to where it plainly says "Visa #xxxx"* It says you paid with a Visa.
    PL: NO!! I don't understand, why would you do that! I pay with my debit. It's my checking account!?
    ME: Did you enter a PIN?
    PL: I never do!! I always pay Debit!!!
    ME: The only way to run it through as a debit is enter your pin. Because you didn't, you ran it through as credit, and so I need to send it back to your account.
    PL: NO!!! I want my money, I don't care how I get it! I don't want cash, store credit is fine... I have shopping!!!
    This went on for a good 5 minutes before I called a CSM over to void the transaction. We then spent another 10 minutes explaining why you have the option to run a debit as both, how some banks charge fee's if you run it as a debit and how you have to enter a pin for it to be considered a debit charge. We then explain that she would have gotten her money either way, we weren't going to send it to the black abyss where credit charges go to die.

PL: Ooooh, so you were just going to send it back to my bank account? Oh... that would have been fine! * walks away as cheerful as she first was*
    "I just figured you would be terrified, and I would be sarcastic about it."

She...you....return....she...wait....I....return.. .CREDIT?!

....... GAH!
    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I think you broke retailworkhorse...

Is there a veterinary-psychologist in the house?
      *There is no greater gift than to be reborn with every heartbeat*
      *Grudges should only be held for as long as it takes to deliver a proper vengence!*

Comment

Quoth Leopardmadcat View Post
        Or Robert Redford?

I swear I could never work directly with the public. Especially in any capacity that involves money.

Comment

I see stupid people. Really, really stupid people.

Comment

*catchs RW and hold him tight and strokes his hair*
            its ok the stupid crazy people arent going to hurt you
            its ok

Comment

Quoth Leopardmadcat View Post
              I think you broke retailworkhorse...

*cough*

Animal Behaviorist in training, thank you. I'll take it from here.

*sets RetailWorkhorse on a couch and makes some serious HARRUMPH and HMMMM! noises while taking notes on a pad*

I'm afraid it's very serious, ma'am. He's got a bad case of logic. Extended exposure to SCs could lead to an allergic reaction, all the way up to entitlement-whoraphylactic shock. Unfortunately, he's got a comorbid infection with common sense as well. It's unlikely that without immediate medical intervention he will ever be able to complete simple tasks like ordering hats and pink camouflage, demanding gift cards at restaurants, or even making a return on an item purchased a year before.

Had he been parented badly and brought up to believe the world revolved around him, this all could have been avoided. Unfortunately, it's too late to undo the results of good parenting.
              My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

Quoth Saydrah View Post

I'm afraid it's very serious, ma'am. He's got a bad case of logic. Extended exposure to SCs could lead to an allergic reaction, all the way up to entitlement-whoraphylactic shock. Unfortunately, he's got a comorbid infection with common sense as well. It's unlikely that without immediate medical intervention he will ever be able to complete simple tasks like ordering hats and pink camouflage, demanding gift cards at restaurants, or even making a return on an item purchased a year before.

Had he been parented badly and brought up to believe the world revolved around him, this all could have been avoided. Unfortunately, it's too late to undo the results of good parenting.

Saydrah for the WIN! I love the CS-isms and new words. I don't think even Dr.Seuss ever needed to make up something to the level of "entitlement-whoraphylatic shock." And you totally summed up his issues. Fantastic!

Enigma, could the 2nd lady just have left the stuff at the desk and exchanged it when she was done shopping? Same result, we know - but might have been easier for her 2 brain cells to comprehend and therefore easier for you.

Comment

......gwah? Credit? How does person run credit thinking debit when credit = signed slip and debit = figgin NUMBARS.

Num....berz....numb....arz........arze...arse..... .

Dumb ass?

:nod:

Is I a'gonna diez, Doktuuuuuurrrr, Saydrah?

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                    I see stupid people. Really, really stupid people.
                    and they're everywhere.....
                    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Reyneth View Post
                      Enigma, could the 2nd lady just have left the stuff at the desk and exchanged it when she was done shopping? Same result, we know - but might have been easier for her 2 brain cells to comprehend and therefore easier for you.
                      Well, depending, if she had items that needed to be weighed then I have no way of doing that at the service desk, and if she had a lot of items I don't have enough room to actually put them through. She kept claiming she had done returns and ALWAYS got store credit. My CSM and I spent a good couple of minutes trying to figure out how that was possible, as we NEVER have done that, and the lady kept claiming it was an entirely new batch of people, even though my two other co-workers up there had been at the desk for at least a year. Plus it would be too much effort for her to walk back up to me, and "she just wanted her money!?!?!"

-puts on her hat and picks up a suitcase- Now if you excuse me, I don't want to be charged with anything that happened to RW, I think I'll lay low for awhile :P
                      "I just figured you would be terrified, and I would be sarcastic about it."

Comment

Quoth Enigma View Post
                        -puts on her hat and picks up a suitcase- Now if you excuse me, I don't want to be charged with anything that happened to RW, I think I'll lay low for awhile :P
                        Come back here, Fuzzy Banana! THE NUMBARZ ARE EATING MY BRAYNZ!

Comment

I just had SERIOUS service desk flashbacks. Returns....receipts....snails crawling on razorblades......the horror.....the....HORROR....
                          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

The funny thing to me is I just made a purchase today that was exactly $10.81. But I didn't need to return it and paid cash.
                            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                              Is I a'gonna diez, Doktuuuuuurrrr, Saydrah?
                              If so...can I have your plat?
                              By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Working...
                              X