This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video camera/computer help

Okay, as you know, I have this video camera that works just fine, but I have been unable to download the video to my computer. The FireWire card didn't work at all at first, and when when I pushed it more firmly into the socket, the computer froze several times while attempting to download the right software.

USB? Nope, the computer doesn't recognize the device.

So what I'm wondering now is, would it just be a better idea to upgrade to a more recent model that uses DV tapes? I downloaded the USB drivers for the camera from the manufacturer's site, but they won't install. I had been thinking of buying another FireWire card, but it occurred to me that I might not have luck with that one, either.

The camera was a gift, and right now, I'm not in a position to buy one, but if (say, at the thrift store) one should come my way, that might be the solution. Thoughts?

It seems like you always have one issue or another with your hardware. Where are you buying all of these things? Are these new or used? Are you doing any research on these parts or no? I'm thinking that it may be a good idea to start from scratch with some of the parts, the ones that do not require a specific operating system.

Maybe hold on to the card, but... maybe not. When searching for a FireWire card, make sure that it has updated drivers that work with your operating system. I'm in the market for a video capture card, but most of the ones I've seen on eBay in my price range only have drivers available for up to Windows XP, but not for 7. So, now I can either pay more for a more recent video capture card, or keep looking for a slightly older card at a reasonable rate that has Windows 7 drivers. The more research you do for parts, the more it will pay off, and the better chances you have for compatible hardware & software.

Comment

That's a good point. At first I only thought about the graphics card issue, but then I remembered how it took some time to be able to use the printer.

I bought the FireWire card used, from a guy who works with Mac/Linux, so he doesn't know what to do with PC use. I hadn't done any research on FireWire and compatibility with Windows 7, but the card was cheap, so - yeah.

Right now, the card is sitting on a table, away from the computer tower. I don't have any plans to insert it again without knowing that it will work.

Comment

You can buy locally from a brick-and-mortar store and have the satisfaction of knowing that it should be able to be returned, but you do pay a higher price. You can go on eBay instead, but make sure you get enough info about the card. Look at the chip on the card and it will show a name (such as VIA), then see if you can find a number on that chip on the card, then go to the manufacturer's website and see if they have drivers for that same card for your operating system. Some sellers on ebay will include a CD of drivers, but most do not.

Comment

It looks like Windows 7 just doesn't like FireWire. I've done some research, and though Microsoft claims that 7 contains a driver that can be found in Device Management, I've looked hard, and haven't found it.

Comment

Or it's possible that the card itself is faulty.

Comment

It could well be, but the information I found concerning Windows 7 and FireWire specifically states that you can find the drivers in Device Management, and I can't find any.

Comment

If the card is faulty, then the computer won't recognize it and there won't be any mention of it in the Device Manager. Remember a device has to be installed and working for the Device Manager to list it.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Here's the info. I don't understand it fully.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/wind.../gg454502.aspx

Comment

Working...
                  X