This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our drive thru is NOT a walk up!

Had a drunk lady today try to use our drive thru as a walk up. I must vent first in saying that I HATE that people think they can do this. I don't care if my lobby is closed, you still CANT do it!!!! Grrr..... And people get SO mad at me when I tell them no. Get a clue people, you yelling and screaming at me about me refusing service to you isn't going to make me want to serve you. Idiot.

Okay end of rant. So drunk lady first tries our lobby. This bugs me for the following reasons:
    1. All the lobby lights are off.
    2. We have two sets of doors. First set is unlocked with posted hours on it. Second set is locked. You have to go through set of doors with hours on it to see that we are indeed locked.
    3. It's 12:30 am. I know Taco Bell is open that late, but I'm pretty sure they are the only ones.
    4. 99% of people that see that the door is locked go and try the other one. When that one is locked too then they knock to get our attention. Yes, that's right, we're not locked because we are closed, we lock our doors because we just want you to know the secret knock. Sorry, you did the wrong one.

Then she comes up to the drive thru windows and tries to open them (I keep them locked for this exact reason). I go over there and tell her no way. I must say that throughout this entire conversation she was very nice and polite and that most of my anger in this post is because of all the idiots that do this, so I'm sorry if this post doesn't make a whole lot of sense because I'm using this particular example to yell at all the SCs that do this.

Me :Sorry, we cannot do walk ups in the drive thru.
    Her : Then open up your lobby. (UHM, what? What would be the purpose of locking it if I can just open it for whoever that asks?!)
    Me: I cannot do this either.
    Her: Ask your manager.
    Me: I am the manager.
    Her: I'm really hungry. (Well, I would assume that you wanted food from us as that is ALL we sell)
    Me: I'm sorry. Maybe you can try BK? I know they take walkups. (Don't get mad at me, the one that's across the street from me really does.)
    Her: I don't think I should walk that far. I have a car, but I'm drunk right now.
    Me: Well, I am glad you are not driving then.
    Her: Yeah, I wouldn't do that. When does your lobby close anyway?
    Me: 11 pm.
    Her: Oh so I'm only 20 minutes late.. you should open it for me. (WHAT? It doesn't matter if you're 2 minutes late, I'm not opening it.)
    Me: Actually, it's 12:30 right now.
    Her: Oh *mumbles something about her son*

Then she tries to have a conversation with me about how my day has been and all this stuff and I'm just trying to get her away and suggesting the Arby's that is right next door and BK again. I'm not even supposed to be having this conversation with her. We aren't even supposed to open the windows to walk ups, just tell them to go away. The only reason it was open was because the employee I had opened it for some reason. I yelled at her for that afterward.

God, I hate when customers do this. And they always say I need to open my lobby or take their order as a walk up. Uhm NO I DON'T. I'm sorry that you are too late to come inside or drunk or whatever reason you are not driving, but that doesn't mean I HAVE to take your order. I'm not doing it no matter what you say, so you can leave or I can call the cops. WHY oh WHY do they think I HAVE to take their order? Grrrrrrrr.

The reason why is because they are the all important customer who makes our paycheck possible, therefore we need to kiss their ass and put up with their stupid antics to make a few bucks. I would've threatened to call the cops on the guy. At least he wasn't 1 of those idiots who will yank harder and harder on the door, praying and hoping that it will somehow magically make the doors unlock. LOL I remember a customer who did this one time, their entire body was shaking violently as they tried ever so hard to open the door, they looked like they were being electrocuted. Funny thing was, only that door was locked, and the others were unlocked.
    Last edited by BowserKoopa1; 07-14-2011, 02:12 PM.

Comment

I've done this once. In my defense, I had been abandoned at a seedy motel in Union, NJ (anybody who's ever been there will tell you it's the pus-filled boil on the ass of the world) around 11pm. I had no food, very little money, and the motel didn't even have vending machines. Literally the only things in town were this motel and the KFC across the street. Their lobby was closed, I knew this. I also knew I hadn't eaten in about 16 hours, and I was starving. I begged them to make me something. They said as long as I waited around the corner, they would. I think I looked pathetic and hungry enough that they felt sorry for me. I wouldn't do this unless absolutely cornered with no other options. Thankfully, I got my food and retreated to my room. Don't even get me started on the creepy son of the hotel owner who kept trying to get into my room that night.
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

First off, I don't know any drive-thrus around here that will take walk-ups. I do recall some of my classmates doing that at a DQ once, during the day, on a field trip in high school. Second, tollbaby, exactly how does one get abandoned in such a place, just out of curiosity? Wow!
        "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Cant do this then?

Comment

I have always wondered about that. I know drive-ups can be open 24 hours but the lobby closes at 11:30pm. And that the drive-up can't take walk-ups (for safety reasons, if none else.) But isn't this practice a little discriminatory towards non-drivers?

Just wonderin'....
            I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

I think it's to protect the walkers from the drivers. My mum told me about someone who was walking through the drive through and was smucked by a truck that didn't see them/care if they hit them and the person died. I guess they were banned since then? (I think it was the 70's when that happened)
              Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
              http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
                I have always wondered about that. I know drive-ups can be open 24 hours but the lobby closes at 11:30pm. And that the drive-up can't take walk-ups (for safety reasons, if none else.) But isn't this practice a little discriminatory towards non-drivers?

Just wonderin'....
                So was I. And what about bicyclists?
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

But isn't this practice a little discriminatory towards non-drivers?
                  When you have to make a choice between the safety of your workers and disappointing the few random people who want food but have no car late at night, safety should nearly always win.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I've done it too. In my case, it was a tour group of Puertoricans who didn't speak English and were staying in a seedy part of Orlando. The Popeyes employees were kind enough to take pity on the little girl translating for the adults (yes, that was me) and sold us the food. So I feel you.

Comment

Just wonderin'....
                      Discrimination? No.

The lobby closes at whatever time for a reason - it's to minimize the risk of robbery. I think we all know that, but sometimes the obvious gets overlooked, y'know? Yes, there's still some risk of robbery at the drive-thru, but it's difficult for someone to gain access to the building.

The reasons people can't walk through the drive-thru is for their own safety. How many stories are there on this very board regarding asinine behavior by people in the drive-thru? Some hormonal teenager can't get his curly fries or gets shut down after hitting on the cute girl at the windows or whatever and throws a mechanical tantrum - you don't want a pedestrian to be in the path of that. And yes, that sort of shit happens ALL THE TIME.

Unfortunately, the combination of these policies excludes non-drivers in the wee hours. But it's hard to call it discriminatory, because the exclusion isn't based on race, religion, creed, or whatever. And, one must admit that during the low hours, there aren't all that many non-drivers wanting to visit a fast-food joint.

Does it suck? Yeah, I suppose it does. But then, life DOES suck sometimes, doesn't it?

Just pointing out a few things....

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                        In my defense, I had been abandoned at a seedy motel in Union, NJ (anybody who's ever been there will tell you it's the pus-filled boil on the ass of the world) ~ <snip>
                        Most of New Jersey is beautiful but...yeah, I have been there and yeah, I can back you up on this.
                        "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

So what's the minimum vehicle that constitutes a drive-up? I am reminded of an ancient (mid-60s probably) RD anecdote wherein two construction workers walked up to the drive-through lane of a bank near their jobsite to cash their paychecks. The teller refused to serve them, so they went back to the jobsite and came back with a wheelbarrow. One guy got in, the other pushed him up to the window, and the teller cashed their checks without further protest.

There's also the question of whether the restaurant has any liability (or if a jury can be made to believe they do, which amounts to the same thing) if this drunk would-be customer did in fact get in her car to drive up to the window, and then had an accident (or got arrested for DWI, or both).

Come to think of it, what would have happened if the customer had demanded you call her a cab to take her through the drive through?

Comment

It's not generally against the law to take walkups, so far as I've seen. In fact, we were required by state law to take walkups of those driving vehicles that couldn't fit through our drive through- as an interstate rest stop, we were required to serve all drivers 24/7/365. Was pretty funny when the town cops tried to get us to shut down for curfew, and we called the staties over...

Comment

Just wonderin'....
                              Not likely, since most places that have drive thrus also have that handy little shelthered indoor counter where you can walk in and make an order.

As opposed to being outside and risking being hit by a car. Not discriminatory, and I'll thank you to try and keep that kind of discussion to Fratching.
                              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Working...
                              X