This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't wait until Monday

I have a dr appointment. I was supposed to see him on the 8th, but was out of town for a funeral.

I think I might either have diabetes or be borderline diabetic. I want tested, because untreated diabetes can kill you.

I have another issue that may be connected or may not, but I don't want to squick you guys out with the issue.

Good luck!

Comment

My mother's doctor told her for several years that she was "borderline" diabetic. After those several years, she had to switch doctors. The new doctor ordered some "welcome to my practice" labs, then at the next appointment...

New Dr: So, how long have you been diabetic?
      Mom: Well, the previous doctor said I was borderline...
      New Dr: There's nothing "borderline" here, you are very definitely diabetic.
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Even if you are diabetic it's completely manageable. Some people can manage it well enough with diet that they never need go on insulin. I hope that's the case for you, if it turns out your sugar is high. Mine was just a couple points over normal in the morning; I had dawn syndrome. Changed to lowish carb, high fat and my glucose is fine. No more reactive hypoglycemia, which is wonderful because that was scary.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Keep in mind that "borderline" diabetic doesn't mean "you don't need medications." It just means you don't need to take insulin shots to survive. I was on the 'borderline' side for years, but I crossed over the edge about five years back, and my blood glucose is now controlled (116 where 110 is the high end of "normal") due to a combination of dietary changes and pills (Metformin and Glimepiride). Remember, too, that diabetes is about regulating your sugar/starch intake, not eliminating it completely.

Deserted - I'm sorry your mom's old doc didn't take the issue seriously enough. He should have been re-testing her a couple times a year, at least! o_O

Akasa - Definitely have them run tests to discern your A1C level. Should just be a standard blood draw. Much better to be on pills/take greater care what you eat than have to rely on shots!
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

For a lot of years my mother said she was a borderline diabetic. Then she switched doctors. All those years she'd been told she was a borderline diabetic she had actually been a Type II diabetic and completely unmedicated...which explains so much. According to that new doctor there really is no such thing as 'borderline' diabetic. In his eyes you either are or you aren't diabetic, it's all about the degree of diabetes a person has that separates them into insulin-dependent or not. My mother was damn lucky for a lot of years, but as the result of not being properly diagnosed she is on both insulin and diabetes management meds (she's also 63 and keeps insisting that she can eat two huge sugary apple-fritters as a snack because the apples are good for you...yeah, I know...).

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
              and keeps insisting that she can eat two huge sugary apple-fritters as a snack because the apples are good for you...yeah, I know...).
              /facepalm
              Your mom is special sometimes isn't she?

Comment

I'm confused by the term "borderline diabetic" anyway. The term is pre-diabetic and it's diagnosed at 126 mg/dl fasting.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
                  /facepalm
                  Your mom is special sometimes isn't she?
                  She really is something else. This is the same woman who, when I was severely underweight due to being anorexic, used to call me a heifer and fatty. And then when I was working on recovering she would make comments about everything I would put in my mouth, saying that if I wasn't careful I'd turn into a blimp. I got to the point where I'd take my dinner into my room and blast music so I didn't have to hear her.

It's probably no surprise that I'm completely no-contact with her these days, eh?

Comment

I've heard the terms used interchangeably Seems to simply be a difference in preferred nomenclature.

As for the apples -- Apples themselves have plenty of sugar as it is! o_O Let alone in pie form.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      The term is pre-diabetic and it's diagnosed at 126 mg/dl fasting.
                      I think the limits are not universally agreed-on. I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic at 108 mg/dl, though it may not have been a formal diagnosis. It might have been more my doc trying to warn me that I was eating my way into a problem...

Mmmm, sugary fatty foods.... Mmmmm...
                      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

So, I got my blood work done and I go in MONDAY(lol) to go over the results.

BUT today the office calls and they're like "When you were in you had a low grade fever, and the blood tests show an elevated white blood cell count. Are you sick? Do you think you might have a UTI?"

Told them I felt fine, and had gotten enough UTI's to know when I was getting one.

Comment

I wanna say that 110 is the upper end of "normal" -- I sit at around 116 consistently with my pills. Crossing my fingers for ya, Akasa!

Comment

Ok. I'm not diabetic, but I'm on my way there. I was 0.1 above normal on my blood test.

Dr has put me on a low carb diet in hopes that I will loose weight and delay the onset of diabetes.

Comment

Working...
                            X