This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Nurse!

So my best friend is in the hospital again with kidney stones this time. I was up at the hospital with her all day today as when the ER doctor admitted her he wanted her to have emergency surgery on the stones and her husband wasn't with her at the point I went up there and someone needed to be around in case she went in for surgery to tell them what she was allergic to.
    At 3:30 the doctor finally comes around "Oh so you're the patient they called me about last night." Tells her they have a skeleton crew and he can't do surgery today, but he'll get to her in a day or 2 so she'll be admitted. Hours go by and she's still in ER overflow. We ask the nurse what's going on. Why is she not admitted yet? She gives us some kind of BS answer. We ask another nurse, we get that she's under observation. No the doctor said she was to be admitted. "That was not your admitting doctor, he was called in for consult."
    "Can you PLEASE CALL MY DOCTOR AND GET BACK TO ME!!!"

Apparently no one had bothered to tell her doctor what the consulting doctor said, and he'd called in and asked for the nurse to read him the chart! To whoever that nurse is I give you a hearty ! You made my best friend cry when she was in a lot of pain.

Edit: I wasn't clear. The doctor called in to have the nurse read him the chart and she refused.
    Last edited by Akasa; 07-03-2011, 12:22 PM.

Sounds like the fail came from both the doc and the nurse.

The nurse should have read the info from the chart to the attending (she'll probably get in trouble for that . . . the attending will likely complain), who should have written admitting orders. Kidney stones are excruciatingly painful and require heavy doses of narcotics. If the consulting doc wanted lithotripsy, then the blockage is severe enough to create a risk of hydronephrosis, which literally means water on the kidney: urine backs up and causes the cavities of the kidney to swell, injuring the organ (which is fragile to start with). Not good.

If it was after hours or weekend, yes, the OR crew is light. But they stay until all the cases are done. Sounds to me like the urologist didn't want to stick around or come back, and was putting the procedure off. And he should have admitted the patient, not the regular doctor.

Massive fail here, on multiple levels. Your friend should complain about both the nurse AND the doctors.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

She... refused. What the hell? Is there any way your friend can file a medical complaint against the nurse?

Comment

The doctor said he's filing a complaint against the nurse since he knows which nurse it was.

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
          The doctor said he's filing a complaint against the nurse since he knows which nurse it was.
          There was no reason for her to have refused. I'm It makes no sense. Nurses do that all the time, doc gives telephone orders for the admission and then has 24 hours to physically come to the hospital and see the patient.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
          X