This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate anemia

So, I am a bad at being sick. I have anemia, the cause is, as of yet, undetermined. I went thru a bad bout with hemorrhaging and had an ablation to resolve the issue. Guess what, my blood counts bounced back to the point where they were before the bleeding started. But I still feel crappy. Oh wait, I was anemic then, just not as bad as it became.

I had been living thinking I was in recovery because I got a letter from doctor that told me my anemia was stable and to come in as soon as possible. I was waiting on another blood panel and a sleep study. I was still feeling fatigued and nauseous but I was telling myself it was all in my head like my old doctor had told me.

Cheerfully I went to my follow up and get sent back to the hematologist. I like all my current doctors, but I am sick and tired of seeing them. In my notes there is a list of things that I am supposed to pay attention to and rest if they occur. I need to rest if I am dizzy, if I am nauseous, if I have shortness of breath or chest pain.

To tie into this I have an anxiety disorder and have to deal with that. Worrying makes the symptoms of anxiety worse, oh and most of them match the symptoms of my anemia. Great. I have no idea if the anxiety is making my symptoms worse or if the anemia is making my anxiety worse.
    Luckily I have a supportive husband who keeps me grounded and a dog to comfort me, sadly they can't go to work with me.

Any chance you are a canadate for darpo shots? For me it was about a year or so of the blood tests and shots, but those buggers did their job.

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
      Any chance you are a canadate for darpo shots? For me it was about a year or so of the blood tests and shots, but those buggers did their job.
      I think you mean Depo, as in Depo Provera.

It might be contraindicated until the cause of her bleeding is determined for sure and the anemia is completely resolved. In some women, Depo bleed MORE and have to stop taking the shots.

I can relate to the fatigue, Aislin. Something similar happened to me when I was 29. A pre cancerous growth in my uterus eroded a blood vessel and I began to bleed out. After bleeding for four days I finally went to the ER with a blood pressure of 90/60, a heart rate of 120, and not in the best mental shape. I had to bully my roommate into taking me to the hospital. Just walking from my bedroom to the bathroom left me short of breath.

I had surgery and a unit of blood. It was a month before my doctor would clear me to go back to work. Even though my blood counts were fine, it really does take awhile for the body to readjust after such severe anemia.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
        I think you mean Depo, as in Depo Provera.

Sorry - should have checked before I typed - my med list has it as darbepoetin alfa. Don't know if that is a different med or just a generic name for the same thing.

Comment

I had mild anemia when I was pregnant with my daughter, so I know how bad it sucks. Low iron during pregnancy is common on my dad's side of the family, so my OB/GYN knew beforehand to keep an eye out for it and it was caught early, but I remember barely being able to drag myself out of bed in the morning because I was so tired. Didn't help much that I was up and down all night peeing, either.

I hope you get some answers soon, so you can get some energy back!
          The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

I did, the long term birth control generic, which messed up my hormones so bad they were driving me crazy. My obgyn told me he would have never prescribed the generic as it was crap. Depo isn't an option for some reason, I think it is because I have an elevated platelet count? Anyway we tried the Merania IUD and that slowed he bleeding but not enough to be a functional human being so I had an ablation. Which helped and stopped most of the bleeding, but my red blood cells are still too low, my platelets still to high. The only thing normal is my white count.
            I can't wait to get this figured out.

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
              Sorry - should have checked before I typed - my med list has it as darbepoetin alfa. Don't know if that is a different med or just a generic name for the same thing.
              Oh! Horse of a different color. It's a hormone; stimulates the production of red blood cells.

Quoth Aislin View Post
              I did, the long term birth control generic, which messed up my hormones so bad they were driving me crazy. My obgyn told me he would have never prescribed the generic as it was crap. Depo isn't an option for some reason, I think it is because I have an elevated platelet count? Anyway we tried the Merania IUD and that slowed he bleeding but not enough to be a functional human being so I had an ablation. Which helped and stopped most of the bleeding, but my red blood cells are still too low, my platelets still to high. The only thing normal is my white count.
              I can't wait to get this figured out.
              Yes. All forms of hormonal birth control have the risk of blood clots. A high platelet count would increase that risk, since they activate the clotting response.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                Yes. All forms of hormonal birth control have the risk of blood clots. A high platelet count would increase that risk, since they activate the clotting response.
                Also hormonal IUDs? My doc suggested it could relieve some of my PCOS symptoms, since he (as you also state) wouldn't recommend regular birth control pills or Metformin due to the risk for blood clots. I'm still considering it, since there is a high copay for the device.
                Last edited by NorthernZel; 08-31-2015, 08:54 PM.
                A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Working...
                X