This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
    Same principle as labeleing a bag of peanuts "CAUTION: May contain peanuts!"
    Sometimes it's it's just easier to roll with the process. Does this item contain or have the chance to contain peanuts? Then it gets a warning on the side.

We run into the similarly "comedic" problem with drug warnings, most commonly paracetamol (Acetaminophen). Since the range between useful dose and dangerous dose is quite small and since it's in so many products it's theoretically easy to take a dangerous dose without realising it. To ensure that people are aware that it's an active ingredient anything that contains it get's a flag that puts a "Contains Paracetamol" warning on the label. Now, we could probably unflag any plain paracetamol product but that opens up liabilities when something bugs out in the field and is responsible for someone dying of slow liver failure.
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post
      Sometimes it's it's just easier to roll with the process.
      One way to think about these is with the following five categories of possible allergen presence:
      1. Of course it's in there (e.g., shellfish in a shrimp cocktail)
      2. In this case, we know that we put it in there (e.g., gluten in some brands of soy sauce)
      3. We can't make any guarantees (e.g., this product was made in a facility that processes nuts)
      4. In this case, we can be certain that it isn't in there (e.g., gluten in some other brands of soy sauce)
      5. Of course it's not in there (e.g., lactose or seafood in fresh lettuce)

In departments like produce and dairy, pretty much everything is a 1 or 5, so no one is going to bother with such labelling.

On the other hand, a company like Campbell's or Swanson is going to have a lot of "Is this a 1 or 2?" or "Is this a 4 or 5?" For them it's easier to lump categories 1 and 5 with 2 and 4, respectively, and just label everything.

Comment

Same principle as labeleing a bag of peanuts "CAUTION: May contain peanuts!"
        or "May cause drowsiness" on an over-the-counter sleep aid (we certainly hope so, in this case).
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Of course, NAR teaches us that there are people out there who will insist that a Chicken Salad is vegetarian.

Of course, I don't know how true or accurate those stories are, but I've read a number of them.

An example:

https://notalwaysright.com/the-contr...rian-2/101825/

And another:

https://notalwaysright.com/theyre-mo...-to-fly/83014/

And another...

https://notalwaysright.com/telling-p...-part-2/72006/

And one more for good measure...

https://notalwaysright.com/no-meat-i...r-brain/77315/

Just a few examples.
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I didn't say that labeling the obvious was necessarily a bad thing. I will say that when you do so, dealing with the "well, duh!" responses is part of they package.

Comment

I didn't say that labeling the obvious was necessarily a bad thing.
              Too much and too obvious warnings and they can get ignored. Some years back, I was giving a group of interns a crash course on unjamming the office copier/printer/scanner (sorry, I don't recall the make or model). There was an area that heats up when the device operates. When I pointed out the warning, it was necessary to tell the newbies to heed that warning as it was not to prevent lawsuits.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                Too much and too obvious warnings and they can get ignored.
                Yup. Ernest and I go round on this sometimes. She thinks sticking a sign or label on something is helpful in some way. I point out the sheer amount of warning signs we have, and ask how often we look at said signs. To me, the better approach would be to alter the way we operate, so that the sign would be unnecessary.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                  Yup. Ernest and I go round on this sometimes. She thinks sticking a sign or label on something is helpful in some way. I point out the sheer amount of warning signs we have, and ask how often we look at said signs. To me, the better approach would be to alter the way we operate, so that the sign would be unnecessary.
                  Yes, this. Signs are not magical shields against misadventure. That said, if you do have employees smarter than a box of rocks, appropriate signage can save a lot of trouble.

Comment

And with the employees outsmarted by rocks... Well, the signs are up for when the insurance claims are filed.

Comment

Yes, I understand why they have to put up the signs. Because idiots. Idiots with lawyers. My disagreement with Ernest is that she thinks putting up another sign on a piece of machinery already littered with signs will actually make the machine safer. Nobody looks at the signs already, so how will another one do any good, I ask? She doesn't have an answer, she just sighs and makes this sort of sad expression at me.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                        Of course, NAR teaches us that there are people out there who will insist that a Chicken Salad is vegetarian.

Of course, I don't know how true or accurate those stories are, but I've read a number of them.

An example:

https://notalwaysright.com/the-contr...rian-2/101825/

And another:

https://notalwaysright.com/theyre-mo...-to-fly/83014/

And another...

https://notalwaysright.com/telling-p...-part-2/72006/

And one more for good measure...

https://notalwaysright.com/no-meat-i...r-brain/77315/

Just a few examples.
                        I always liked the NAR story where a guy goes into a Kosher deli and is upset when he’s told he can’t get a ham sandwich. “You got something against ham?”

Comment

Quoth nutraxfornerves View Post
                          I always liked the NAR story where a guy goes into a Kosher deli and is upset when he’s told he can’t get a ham sandwich. “You got something against ham?”
                          Many years ago a customer took our programming team out for lunch at a Kosher deli. This place was legendary for their food and was difficult to get into, but our customer had a prior relationship with the owners. We get seated and our "lead" programmer orders a ham and cheese sandwich. The lady said they don't have ham so he ordered something else. As soon as the nice lady left our table cow-irker said "What kind of deli doesn't have ham?" I respond "A Kosher deli doesn't." Turns out he didn't know what Kosher meant. Bad part was our customer that was treating us was Jewish. Thankfully he didn't take any offense and we've had several laughs over the years.
                          Unfortunately there's no longer any Kosher deli around here now so when I'm in Memphis I make sure to eat at several while there.
                          Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
                            . As soon as the nice lady left our table cow-irker said "What kind of deli doesn't have ham?" I respond "A Kosher deli doesn't." Turns out he didn't know what Kosher meant. Bad part was our customer that was treating us was Jewish. Thankfully he didn't take any offense and we've had several laughs over the years.
                            I grew up familiar with differing theology, my mom's minor was comparative theology [yup, she was *overqualified* to teach sunday school. Her college was a very noted theological based college and while everyone had a normal degree, moms was speech therapy, everybody also had one in comp theology.] When each of us kids hit 12, we were allowed to stop going to church on sunday because we were old enough to stay at home alone and make a choice in our religion. Both my brother andI stopped going to church, we just slept in and made a great brunch for when mom and dad got home.
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I thought Kosher was just salt when I was young, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X