X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't control the wind

(I will someday, but not today.)

About a mile east of the Store, there is located one of the largest mushroom farms in the country. It's been there for over 50 years, since when this part of Town was still rural and there was nothing of account out this way but the county dump and a couple of roadside motels and dive bars. It's a significant enough part of the area that the nearby intersection of the Old State Highway and the Old Main Drag was once known as "Mushroom Corner". But time makes fools of us all, and the unstoppable force that is urban sprawl means that this once wooded and sparsely populated area has now been developed all the way out to the edge of the nearby military base, engulfing the mushroom farm in the process.

Mushrooms, of course, are rather fragrant when they're blooming, and they take lots of fertilizer, so mushroom farms have a habit of smelling like a cross between a cow-sty and 3,000 gallons of rancid grease (ask me how I know what that smells like, why don't you.) And that means that on days when the fields are being fertilized and there's an east wind blowing, that aroma is going to waft into our parking lot, and, since our front doors are eastward-facing, some of it is going to get into the front end of the store.

Customers; stop coming at me about this like it's my fault.

Neither I nor anyone else above me in the Store or corporate chain of command have any power to make the smell go away. I didn't tell the mushroom farm to set up there 20 years before I was born. I didn't tell five decades of real estate developers to urbanize this part of the county. I didn't tell the architect that designed this building to face the front doors east. (Blame him or her if you must.) I can't make the wind stop blowing. I can't design, nor can we afford, an air system powerful enough to keep the smell out. I am not Aeolus, Keeper of the Winds, and I cannot summon Zephyrus to blow the offensive aromas back whence they came.

Don't try and tell me it's because we've got rotten food in the Store, either. You can smell the smell long before you get in the parking lot. The whole neighborhood reeks of it on days when the prevailing winds are right. Depending on the wind, you can smell it for miles in any given direction. I honestly don't know how you manage to sell a house to someone in the vicinity as soon as they get a whiff of it. You can smell it while riding the train if the wind is right, even before you've crossed the county line. We didn't do it, we can't do anything about it, PLEASE stop yelling at us.

It's not just your run-of-the-mill customers who don't get it, either. Over a decade ago, before the Store opened, I worked in a fast food restaurant just down the road from where the Store is now. There was a time when the health inspector showed up while I was PIC, and he insisted on taking about twice as long as a typical inspection takes and searching every nook and cranny of the building, because the mushrooms were smelling, and he refused to believe my explanation and insisted that there must be a sewage leak somewhere in the building.

It used to be the Next Town Over that had a reputation for smelling bad because of its paper mills. But now that industry is dead in this country, the mills have all shut down and that town smells just fine, and we're the ones who have to explain to people that it just smells like that sometimes and you'll get used to it.
    Last edited by Smapti; 12-02-2018, 02:02 AM.

Quoth Smapti View Post
    3,000 gallons of rancid grease (ask me how I know what that smells like, why don't you.)
    Er, maybe I don't want to know.

Customers don't seem to understand that there are things outside of the control of others, either a mushroom farm or traffic lights or even where a place of business is located.
    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
      Er, maybe I don't want to know.
      Well, it's not as sordid as all that. When I worked fast food, we had a 3,000-gallon tank underneath the parking lot that would collect our used fryer oil, and the burger grease from the grill, and any assorted oils that got washed down the drain. Once a week the recycling company would come to pump it out and take it away, and it'd stink up the parking lot to high heaven.

Comment

I grew up near Tacoma, which has an *ahem* aroma. But I didn't smell it. It took moving away for YEARS for me to finally smell it when I came back for a visit. So I guess that's how people can live near the mushroom farm. Now, moving there not being used to it, that I don't know. Also, after working in the bakery, I can tell you I stop smelling what we bake.

However! The small town I grew up in made the brilliant decision to put it's sewage treatment plant on a main street that most people had to drive on to get to or from town. (I assume it was when the town was very tiny) I lived even closer to the sewage treatment plant, so you'd assume I wouldn't smell that, since I didn't smell the Aroma of Tacoma. But no, it stank and I smelled it. Maybe because it would be not so bad, but then sometimes it would be terrible. Like the whole town collectively ate broccoli or possibly got food poisoning. It's crazy how our brains work.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
          I grew up near Tacoma, which has an *ahem* aroma.
          That would be the Next Town Over to which I alluded.

I don't know how bad it smelled before I wound up in This Part of the Country in 2004, but having spent my fair share of time there I can only imagine the smell must have mostly cleared up before I got there. It does reek somewhat at low tide, but I have to imagine it must have been much worse in the city's heyday.
          Last edited by Smapti; 12-02-2018, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
            That would be the Next Town Over to which I alluded.

I don't know how bad it smelled before I wound up in This Part of the Country in 2004,
            Oh, of course, lol! I mean, I lived in the area since before the smell supposedly got better, but I never smelled it. I guess sometimes I smelled what I think of as "low tide" smell, but I smell that on most coastlines, and it's not so terrible to me.

But now that I remember the general area where you are, I'm not at all surprised about the idiocy about the smell. Pretty soon the good people moving out into suburbia will find a way to shut down that mushroom farm. Everyone wants to eat local, but they don't want to smell the manure that grows that lovely local food do they?
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

What I hate

The johnny-come-lately who complains about some plant/factory/farm that existed long before they moved there. Yet, they complain despite the fact the thing they were complaining about exist long before they came.

I did a service call in Pickering and the home owner started about the local nuclear plant being so close.

First, I was there to service their computer, I had nothing to do with the local power plant, second with all the ranting and raving it became clear the plant had been operating there years before they move near-by, and second somehow this person thought it made more sense to move a multi-billion dollar plant than his $200-300K house. Self-centered People.

Comment

I honestly don't know how you manage to sell a house to someone in the vicinity
                There's a very nice neighborhood in my town that is quite close to the zoo. On certain days, the area gets a bit....whiffy. But those lovely houses get snapped up pretty quick whenever one goes up for sale. And they cost at least 2 to 3 times what I paid for mine.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

The next town over from us has a paper mill and our town has a rendering plant so we get the smells, too. It would be ridiculous to blame a store for that.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

There's a place - more than a village, not quite a town - a few miles away from me that has a sewage treatment works at one edge. I often stop there at the supermarket.

Depending on prevailing winds and weather conditions, some days you'd never know it was there. Other days, you step out of the car and the smell is so strong you could darn nigh chew on it. Yet the place thrives, got a busy high street, schools...basically I think we just get used to whatever's around.
                    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                      First, I was there to service their computer, I had nothing to do with the local power plant, second with all the ranting and raving it became clear the plant had been operating there years before they move near-by, and second somehow this person thought it made more sense to move a multi-billion dollar plant than his $200-300K house. Self-centered People.
                      There was a race track, geez, it's been like 20-30 years now. The track dated back to the 1940s and when it was built was in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by farmland and little else. Along came the developers in the 1970s and built up the area into a yet another suburban nightmare. All the people who bought those homes would cry and whine about the noise from the race track every Sunday. Eventually they managed to put enough pressure on the city council or whoever to force 'eminent domain'.

It wasn't all tragic, though. The owner was forced to sell, but he held out until he got some ridiculous figure for it. I imagine those homeowners weren't too happy to foot THAT bill.

Comment

Reminds me of people moving to the French Quarter and then complaining about people on the corner playing (generally soft) jazz music all night long, or the bars blaring their own loud music with the doors open. The free music is WHY many people move there! O_O Sadly, the newcomers managed to push some new laws through to heavily curtail the music playing.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The city where I work is on the ocean. There's a waterfront, a working waterfront, that's been there since our state was colonized. The ships are powered by engines instead of wind, now. Loading and unloading the ships makes noise, sometimes before 10 in the morning.

The swells and dandies buying very expensive homes that overlook the working waterfront complain endlessly about the appearance, noise and development of businesses there. They like the idea of working folk, they just don't want to be inconvenienced by actual work that others do.

I think the populace hasn't decided whether they want to inhabit an actual city, or just a place that portrays one on TV.

Comment

"What's that stench?"

[muffled by handkerchief over mouth] "Once you get used to the smell of melted hog fat, you'll wonder how you ever did without it!"

"Mmmmmmm, hog fat…"

Comment

That is almost as bad as where I lived and live.

I used to live rural as in an old tribal school converted into apts. This was a couple of miles outside of the city and I was surrounded by farms of the crop growing and cow variety. A couple of times a year the crop farmers would spread cow manure on their field for added fertilizer. Do this on a very sunny and warm/hot day in any season and you can guess what foul stench wafted over the area.

Even where I live now in the city that smell still makes it here where I am.

A less obnoxious one here in my current are is a factory that makes a certain green product that gets sliced and put on hamburgers. if the wind is right and slow enough the smell is overpowering.
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                              X