Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure I agree with your summary there, but I am pretty certain that we are headed rapidly in the direction of Fratching.... So I think we should probably change direction promptly!

How about them Cubs?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Well I was talking about like the general age at which kids come to realize that there is no Santa, that it's their parents bringing presents. That sort of thing. Santa is too good to be true, the same as a secret account, etc.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I have already had to hide a post in here. So, yeah, this is getting close to Fratching material. As always, feel free to remake the thread there and drop a link in here.

Any more escalation and we'll be locking the thread (for starters)...
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
          There's a Court decision from Canada a few years back, Meads v. Meads, where a man in the midst of a divorce was trying to use these "corporate person" arguments to get out of paying alimony or something of that nature. The judge uses the case as a springboard to catalogue as many of their arguments as he could find and elaborate on why they're all nonsense.

It's an interesting read if you have an hour or two to spare.
          I actually read that a while back via TVTropes (Under, unsurprisingly, frivolous lawsuits). It is really an epic read and highlights all the arguments really well.
          The original guy who tried to use said arguments did later go back and do things properly (Wikipedia followup) - the judge had major levels of patience for the guy.

I've seen similar arguments pop up down here from time to time in Ausland. (The straw man argument not so much, but similar sovereign citizen arguments have cropped up) There was a guy who tried to use a variant of the conspiracy theory in a custody case down here (the summaries are published on the court website, with any identifying information redacted). Unsurprisingly, he lost.

There is also the Hutt River Principality - basically this conspiracy theory taken to its logical extreme. More information here

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
            Thanks, I will check that out. I'd love to access this "secret stash" for sure.

I don't understand why people want to believe that a government would go through all the folderol of setting up these secret accounts and dumping money into them, only to play silly buggers with the populace so that said populace can access this money.

Had a former classmate invite me to let her help me (translate: hire her, would be my guess) find "lost" money. Don't know whether it was this nonsense or actual monies from actual bank accounts that I'd forgotten about. In any case, I declined. I have checked with some reputable sites that really do look for forgotten bank accounts and such; my name, alas, is not on any of them.
            Just to see if anything was there, I did that for my late aunt's name after her death (I was her executor). Got a $7 refund from her auto club, and that's it.

Comment

I got $500 out of one of those recently . . .

Comment

US states all have stashes of unclaimed assets (old bank accounts, lost refunds, safe deposit boxes, etc.) I was executor if an estate. Found $20,000 in unclaimed assets. And $500 for myself.

Comment

How bizarre, I went to my state's unclaimed property site and my dad has money there. It's his address and everything. There's no way he'd fill out any forms in order to get that money so I dunno. So funny though, it's like finding out some crazy conspiracy theory is true.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I evidently have a zombie BofA account; the state mailed me a notice about claiming it.

I called BofA to claim it. And failed verification of my identity??
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

My little brother has money in an unclaimed account. Problem is, he's dead. My father might have been able to get it, but he's dead now too. I guess it'll just remain unclaimed. I don't have copies of either death certificate.

Comment

Well, it appears under the right circumstances you can kinda-sorta start a micronation. But it doesn't really count for anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micronation

There are/were apparently a few within the U.S.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Molossia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dumpling_Island

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talossa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Freedonia
                        Last edited by mjr; 01-22-2019, 01:32 PM.
                        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

♪♫ Hail, Hail, Freedonia, Land of the brave and free! ♪♫
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                          X