This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those in the path of Isaac - Hurricane Isaac Check In

Please stay safe, that means you Jester.

I was just thinking the same thing as Isaac is going over the keys.
    Remember, stressed spelled backwards is desserts.

Comment

......Aaaaand, Isaac was a complete non-event here in Key West, and pretty much no one with any experience here was at all surprised.

From noon to about 5ish I was out at the bars drinking with friends, but came home around 5 because the "worst part" of the storm was supposed to be from 5 to 8ish, with the worst being done by 10. Well, the worst was actually while I was out drinking, when it was raining a bit with some strong winds. And...that was it. Right now it is breezy, with not a drop falling from the sky.

To sum it up: as I predicted, nothing worth getting worried about. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some "emergency provisions" (translation: beer) to work my way through.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

My family is in Tampa. I missed any possible news-watching tonight because I had to go to the ER. So I don't know what's going on there.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Yes, well, it does look like he (Isaac) decided to take a trip AROUND the lower part of Florida, toward Louisiana, perhaps? Either way, everyone in his path (non event or not, Jester) stay safe!
          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            ......Aaaaand, Isaac was a complete non-event here in Key West, and pretty much no one with any experience here was at all surprised.

From noon to about 5ish I was out at the bars drinking with friends, but came home around 5 because the "worst part" of the storm was supposed to be from 5 to 8ish, with the worst being done by 10. Well, the worst was actually while I was out drinking, when it was raining a bit with some strong winds. And...that was it. Right now it is breezy, with not a drop falling from the sky.

To sum it up: as I predicted, nothing worth getting worried about. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some "emergency provisions" (translation: beer) to work my way through.
            lol, yes but was the news predicting the end of the world as we know it? I live in North East Florida and the local news still keeps harping on how even though it has turned west and will not be hitting Florida that we could still experience rain and wind.... REALLY! It's FLORIDA we get rain almost every day in the summer. And being 5 min from the beach we have wind all the time.

On that note I hope those who do get hit are safe and that the storm will continue to be weak. It looks like it may only become a cat 1.

Socpuppet

Comment

From myself, my friends, my coworkers, my acquaintances, my colleagues, my customers, and pretty much everyone in Key West:

(I joke, but I agree with BrenDAnn that, if you're in the path of this or any other hurricane, stay safe, and never forget important hurricane preparations, like stocking up on the essentials: beer, rum, or whatever your favorite hurricane party libation is.)
              Last edited by Jester; 08-28-2012, 12:43 AM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Isaac wasn't too bad when it passed Florida; as I'd predicted, traveling close to Cuba sapped much of its power. Unfortunately, now it's gaining strength in the Gulf. Watch out N'Awlins!

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphi...9/AL0912W5.gif

Comment

because of the valley I live in, hurricanes coming up from the gulf, give us....rain and some wind.

OH NOES!!!! BREAK OUT THE BOOZE AND CHOCOLATE!!!!
                  It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Am watching Isaac closely because the remnants could pass over Wisconsin, depending on where the storm makes landfall and goes from there.

Which could mean a rainy weekend, but that's okay because I have to work.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Isaac will be making landfall soon. The good news is, it's barely a hurricane, with winds hitting 80 MPH. The bad news is, it may dump enough water into the Mississippi river valley to do plenty of damage anyway...

Comment

My cousin lives very close to NOLA. She's freaking out. Since she's from Wisconsin I think it's safe to say this is the first hurricane she's ever been through.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I'm on the Gulf Coast, it's been a lot of wind and rain but we only lost power once and then only briefly. There's plenty of debris and fallen tree limbs in the yard but fortunately we live about 10 miles back from the water so we're well clear of any coastal flooding. To me it's seemed less like a hurricane and more like a bad rainstorm with strong winds. Darn thing is moving so slow though that we probably won't be out of it until sometime tomorrow.
                          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Hurricane Isaac Check In

If you were in it's path, let us know you're still here. If you're not in it's path, chime in your well wishes.

Comment

We had some flooding here especially after the huge rainstorms we had on Monday. Some places around here are still flooded (I"m glad I have a small SUV for work or else I wouldn't have made it in).

I couldn't cross one of the streets because the water was higher than my boots (about 12" tall).

Little wind damage - mainly downed branches but that's it. Those of us with high-risk items (canopies, etc.) took precautions and took them down for the storm.

I'd just hate to see what can happen to areas like NOLA that are below sea level (well, already happening). Not a lot of wind but a lot of rain, which can be worse for them.
                              Quote Dalesys:
                              ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
                              X