This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth smfrazier View Post
    Jester's post about tourists reminded me of the story I heard about a tour boat out on the ocean at sundown. A tourist asked the guide " Can you move the boat closer to the sunset?"
    "Yes we can - if you want to fall off the end of the earth."

Wonder if the ding dong would actually fall for that . . .
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
      If you really wanted to blow their minds, you could tell them "You're in luck - NOW we accept U.S. currency. 150 years ago, anyone possessing U.S. currency would have been thrown in jail." See how long it takes for the penny to drop and for them to remember Florida's history.
      As Ironclad Alibi pointed out, while much (if not most) of Florida was Confederate, Key West was Union, including Fort Zachary Taylor, and, I believe, Fort Jefferson.

That being said, expecting tourists to know Florida's history, especially dumb bunny tourists like the ones that ask the stupid questions I repeated, might be a bit much to ask, especially considering that most FLORIDIANS don't really know Florida's history!

Quoth smfrazier View Post
      Jester's post about tourists reminded me of the story I heard about a tour boat out on the ocean at sundown. A tourist asked the guide " Can you move the boat closer to the sunset?"
      Wow, not that's a new one I have not heard down here, or heard of. Honestly, I'm surprised I haven't. I know enough people that work on boats that I am sure I would have heard that one at some point in my 12 years here!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

I never knew Key West was Union before reading this thread. Hey, I've only lived in Florida for 21 years...
        "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post
          I never knew Key West was Union before reading this thread. Hey, I've only lived in Florida for 21 years...
          Don't feel bad. I grew up in and lived in Florida for 30 years. I've been a member of a Civil War Round Table for 18 years, and their newsletter editor for 12 years. I only found out about Key West being Union throughout the US Civil War from a Google search a few minutes before I posted that information here.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
            Only on Discworld. Do you have a turtle?
            No, just a broomstick that I have to get a running start with...
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I had a customer that told me he forgot his wallet after I rang him up. He actually had the nerve to ask me if he could take the items with him and come back in a few minutes to pay for them. Obviously I told him no. He then decided to try to ask for his items so he could put them away. I told him he did not need to do that because I had someone else at work already assigned to take care of that stuff. He came back several hours later to buy his items and had money this time.

My boss was laughing when I told him about this. The customer would not even look me in the eyes when I checked him out the 2nd time.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                No, just a broomstick that I have to get a running start with...
                So you're saying you're one of the most revered leaders they don't have??

Comment

Quoth Null Requiem View Post
                  So you're saying you're one of the most revered leaders they don't have??
                  Either that, or she stole that broomstick, which means we should all pretend we don't know her to minimize the collateral damage.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth retailworker7 View Post
                    I had a customer that told me he forgot his wallet after I rang him up.
                    True story:

Went to my favorite sushi place several years ago, back in their old location (they've since moved to bigger, swankier digs more befitting of their awesomeness), had a lovely sushi dinner and a couple beers, got the bill, went to pay, and....where's my wallet? Wasn't in my rear pocket....wasn't in my other rear pocket....wasn't in ANY of my pockets.

Shit! I must have left it at home. And now I had the lovely task of explaining that to the server and the manager. "Hey, listen, I forgot my wallet at home...I'll be RIGHT back!" Luckily, even then I was a semi-regular, so they didn't seem too put off, nor threaten to call the cops. Also, I think they kind of saw the distress on my face, and figured that it probably wasn't a con.

In any case, raced home, grabbed my wallet from where I had left it (DOH!), raced back to the restaurant, paid and tipped (generously, of course), and went about the rest of my night.

About a month later, I wandered into that same sushi restaurant. And before they even sat me, I was greeted immediately with, "Did you remember your wallet today?"

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

I get people coming in and asking if we have a pharmacy. Well, considering that's part of the name of the place...absolutely not. Nope, we don't sell drugs or fill perscriptions at all.
                      I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Working...
                      X