Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Chronicles of the Drama Queen (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chronicles of the Drama Queen (long)

Big sale going on at the fabric store and the place is busy. I’m at the cutting counter. I look up, see a line, and call for backup.

Not two seconds after, I hear a quivery voice say, “Aren’t you going to call someone else?”

I reply, “I just did, ma’am,” and return to the customer I’m serving.

A few minutes go by, I call again, and the speaker, a middle-aged woman with a tremulous voice that suggests she’s going to burst into tears at any moment, says we need more help. No, really? Coworker A tells me over the headset that she’ll be there shortly, and I acknowledge. I go through the line, silently hoping that A will get there soon as I really don’t want to deal with the Drama Queen, who has about twenty bolts of fabric and more people in line behind her. I look around for A and see her helping someone in the sewing machines.

Guess who has to deal with the Drama Queen?

She hands me her first bolt, says she needs a yard and a half. I punch it into the handheld and go to scan it, and she starts unrolling the fabric! “Ma’am, I can do that, please stop.” She looks like I'd just slapped her.

I scan it, measure it, and am about to cut it when I see she’s holding it down on her side. “Ma’am, please let go, I’ve got it here.” I’m very polite about it, but we have a method, we’re trained to unroll and measure fabric a specific way and usually when the customer tries to “help”, they almost always make things worse, tugging or twisting the fabric into a crooked cut or catching it on something else. Of course, you explain this to the Drama Queen, and she takes it as a personal insult.

She’s got a mix of various quilting fabrics, calicos and solids. The calicos (specific brand of cotton fabric with patterns) are on sale, as is the solid broadcloth, but other solids are not. She starts arguing prices with me.

DQ: But some of these solids were in the calicos! Aren’t they on sale?
    ME: No ma’am, sometimes things get put back in the wrong area, you have to go by what’s written on the label.
    DQ: (hands me the next bolt) Isn’t this a solid?
    ME: (looks at the fabric, it definitely has a pattern and the label says calico) No ma’am, this is a calico, you can see the pattern here.

On and on it goes, with her hemming and hawing over each one, wondering if it’s a solid or a calico, how much to get and fussing over the edges. The transaction drags on for nearly half an hour. Coworker A finishes the last of the other customers and disappears; a minute later another customer shows up. Drama Queen is fussing over yet another bolt, unable to figure out that the pink fabric with the sparkly pattern and the calico label is indeed a calico. Other customer gives up in disgust and puts his fabric back.

More customers show up, and I have to call A for backup again. Finally, the Drama Queen’s order is finished. A stack of cut pieces is sitting on the counter. “Can I pick them up now?!” she says in a voice that suggests that I ordered her not to touch them upon pain of death.

ME: Well, yes, of course.
    DQ: I was just trying to help, but you didn’t want me to touch that fabric! Other workers are more than happy to have me help!

I doubt that very strongly; we’re all trained to lockdown the fabric and not have customers hold it down. Plus, she was moving the bolt while I was trying to scan it! How is that helping?! I print off her cutting slip and hand it to her, she goes and hangs around the cutting counter, minutely examining every remnant in the remnant bin like they were the Dead Sea Scrolls.

I was supposed to have gone to the register half an hour ago, but couldn’t, and now it’s time for my break. After break, I go to the register and apologize to Coworker B. Coworker B is an easygoing, sweet-natured, always smiling lady.

ME: I’m sorry I didn’t come up earlier, I had a customer that took a long time.
    B: Oh, I know, I just rung her up and grrr! (makes choking motion with her hands)
    ME: You too, huh?
    B: Every time she comes in here she pulls that stuff!

Apparently, the Drama Queen is one of the repeat offenders. How I managed to miss her before this, I don’t know, but my run of luck came to an end tonight. I know it doesn’t look like that big of a deal, but the woman’s general attitude, like everything you did suggested that you’d just tortured her dog, and her feckless manner, trembling voice and insistance on going over everything with a fine-toothed comb and dragging it out as long as possible were enough to set your teeth on edge. And while I wouldn’t wish her on anyone else, I am rather glad that it’s not just me that got irritated with her, she rubs everyone wrong.
    Last edited by XCashier; 04-20-2012, 04:45 PM.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

At least you have another coworker that gets you and told you that she's a repeat offender, so it's not like you're alone on this one. It would be nice to fantasize the next time she comes in and to say, "OK, THIS is how you're going to be handled...", but it's not appropriate.

Maybe next time when you see her in line, say something like, "I know you're here, and although we REALLY appreciate you wanting to help (you need to be genuinely sincere), we have specific ways that we were trained to cut and measure things, so we can't have you holding the material while we're cutting and measuring it..." If you acknowledge their effort or kindness, maybe she'll be a little more giving.

Comment

She may look and sound meek, but actually she's a control freak. Passive-aggressive, too. That's why she makes such a big deal about "helping" you.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        She may look and sound meek, but actually she's a control freak. Passive-aggressive, too. That's why she makes such a big deal about "helping" you.
        That's exactly what I was thinking. This is why she grated on my nerves, and my coworker's. I hate when people play mind games like this.
        My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
          At least you have another coworker that gets you and told you that she's a repeat offender, so it's not like you're alone on this one.
          Yeah, you've got to love the vindication when you realise that other co-workers have problems with the same people you do, especially when you start to feel like you're a SC-magnet!
          Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
          What's the difference?
          We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

I think I ran into her sister at my local fabric store.

I admit I got there late. It was a Friday night and I totally @#$%ed up a pattern. So I quick ran in to get another 5 yards of green linen. Nothing fancy, I knew where the bolt was, I only needed one chunk of it...should have been in and out.

I would have gotten it the next morning but the sale ended that day.

I got stuck behind someone who wanted to help and kept arguing over what constituted a pattern versus a solid. And she needed 30 bolts cut.

And there was only one person there cutting. The only other person in the store was only cashier trained and couldn't cut.

So I'm waiting and waiting. The woman finally gets her stuff and toddles off to checkout. I get my one chunk of fabric cut and I am stuck behind her at the register while she debates the price of every chunk of fabric.

And again it's the whole cost of a solid versus the cost of a pattern and her inability to understand the difference between the two.

For pity's sake they've trained goldfish to tell the difference.

So she leaves and I get to the register. But I can no longer check out as the registers stop working at closing time. You can finish the active transaction if it takes longer than 9pm, but once that transaction is done and the receipt is printed...you're shit out of luck.

Thankfully the cashier put the fabric aside, made a copy of my driver's license and wrote a note on it to the manager to get it overridden to the sales price when I came back the next day. I came back, showed my ID, manager overrode the price to give me the sames price and I got my fabric.

But people like that really make me lose more of my faith in the good in humanity.
            I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Aw, Mongo, that stinks. It's good the cashier was able to get you the sales price the next day, but that shouldn't have happened in the first place. That harpy should've finished her transaction and left, giving you plenty of time to finish yours that night.

People like that, why do they do that nonsense? What are they trying to prove? All the Drama Queen proved to me is that she desperately needs a really good psychiatrist.
              My LiveJournal

Comment

Reading about M.U.L.E. reminded me of the sad story of Dan Bunten. May she rest in peace.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I can't imagine why any human being with more than 1 braincell couldn't tell the difference between a solid and a pattern. I guess telling her a solid is ONE and ONLY one color didn't make a dent in the stonewall of her mind, right?

Comment

Working...
                  X