This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We. Are. CLOSED.

For some bizarre reason, more than half the phone calls the store got today were "What time do you close?" (9PM on Sundays, always has been, always will be this way). It seemed to calm down around 8:30, then BAM. Never have I seen a Sunday night this crazy.

We're not allowed to lock the doors until 9 on the dot, which opened up a golden opportunity for people to say "But MY watch says 8:55!" and sneak in anyway.

I was bagging for a new cashier who, while not a minor, needs to be out by 9. That didn't happen. Lady had a damn CART FULL, hemmed and hawed about 'do I really want this or this or this" and ridiculous directions on how to bag everything (she didn't bring the cart through until the bag platform was full and there were more full bags at my feet, then acted like she was being inconvenienced--what about us poor serfs who have to wait on your indecisive ass?). How I wish the store could force SCs like that to pay quadruple Sunday wages for every employee there at the time whether they had to deal with them or not.

A was pissed, but we couldn't do anything but ring her up. We finally bailed at 9:15 (and one of the night crew bodily blocked another SC from sneaking in).
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

What I used to hate about working at the gas station, was that just nearing closing time, without fail, people would show up. And just one car would always bring another and another and another.

I could never seem to get to the door or the lights before people would just keep showing up.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Usually, Sunday nights are fairly dead. Unless people thought everything's closed tomorrow (state holiday).

Comment

I've just got to ask this... How do they do the scheduling at your store?

Where I work, if you have a cash, they pull you off the floor about half an hour before your shift ends to give you time to cash out. If we have a closing shift, they schedule us to stay up to an hour after the store is close so we have time to finish with all the customers and cash out without being "late" as per the scheduled shift.

So I guess what I'm getting at is if the co worker was supposed to be done at 9, why wasn't she already cashing out when the customer came to the cash? Shouldn't some one have been scheduled to stay later to let the last customers out?
        Last edited by MadMike; 04-16-2012, 03:22 AM. Reason: No need to quote the entire post. We've already read it.

Comment

Wow.. makes me glad we have to hit a buzzer to let people in.

Comment

Back in my day, we used to the lock the door at closing. It was funny because Sunday night was the only night we closed, so there were a couple of people who bopped into the door.

Comment

That's what I miss about not having our awesome deputy manager any more.... when the closing announcements were made, she used to actually go in search of the last-minute laggards and practically nip at their heels to get them to go and check out.
              Tiny little woman too but seriously, you did not want to mess with her.
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

This makes me glad I work at a 24-hour store. We shut down one of the entrances for the night, from 10 at night to 7 in the morning, but the only time we're ever closed at all is Christmas.

Comment

Quoth BuryMe View Post
                  I've just got to ask this... How do they do the scheduling at your store?

Shouldn't some one have been scheduled to stay later to let the last customers out?
                  I'm not exactly sure how it's done, but I never see anyone scheduled past closing (at least not the regular crew; we have an overnight stock crew who's not on the schedule everyone gets to see). The few closing shifts I've worked, anyone not on the overnight crew has to be out of the store as soon after closing as possible. SM had to show up to give A the timeclock override card (when A figured that nobody was getting out of there right at 9) and he wasn't too happy about having to do so.

In theory, at least one register is open right until close and if a customer comes into your lane and it's open you have to take them (no matter how many items). Usually at about 20 minutes to close the open cashier lanes go to Express which didn't happen last night for whatever reason.

Marmalady, C is like that. If she's on, I don't mind closing shifts as I know I'll get out of there on time.

Comment

Back at BoutiqueGrocery, we always simply turned off the automatic doors at closing time...Every damn night we'd have someone bodily run into the doors, and at least one person would simply force the doors open by pushing on them. At least once a month, we'd have someone push so hard to force them open that the doors would come off of their rails, requiring a manager and a couple of our beefier workers to fix it again. Such SC's, of course, would never so much as stop for a "Did I do thaaaat?" before heading in to do their shopping while wondering aloud why half of the lights were turned off and nobody was in the deli/meat market/produce section.

Oh yeah, almost forgot -- we were FORBIDDEN to tell any customers already in-store that we were closed, even if they were there for an hour after closing time. Naturally, we had a small number of SC's who specialized in coming in at that time BECAUSE they knew we couldn't bother them, and/or "because much quieter this time of night". ers.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                      We're not allowed to lock the doors until 9 on the dot, which opened up a golden opportunity for people to say "But MY watch says 8:55!" and sneak in anyway.
                      My dream response to jerks like this:

"Even if that were true, only entitled ASSHOLES who've never worked a day in retail in their lives would actually walk into a store at 8-fucking-55!"
                      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                        My dream response to jerks like this:

"Even if that were true, only entitled ASSHOLES who've never worked a day in retail in their lives would actually walk into a store at 8-fucking-55!"
                        My dream response would be to have a large clock visible on the front of the building with some sort of signage indicating that *this* clock is the time that the store operates on and it doesn't matter what your watch says, and those steel rolly garage doors that automatically shut at the appointed time of closing. [there being a small door that can be used to exit the building that has no outside handle] so nobody can either force the now closed automatic doors or stand their looking in trying to get people's attention to let them in.
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                          When I worked at the wholesale club as FDLP for closing shifts, I always stopped those people dead with a "That may be, but the store's clock says it's 9 o'clock."

I had one guy try to argue with me and ask me what time my watch said it was (which, honestly, agreed with the customer's watch), but I pointedly took my watch off, put it in my pocket, then told him: "It doesn't matter what my watch says. The store's clock says we're closed."

Repeat ad infinitum until they walk away.
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

What I'd love...Nice metal door, with a sign stating the electrical theft deterrent is activated at 9 by the store's clock, and hook a tazer up to the thing at 9

Comment

This would be MY solution to the closed SCs:

WARNING!: NSFW!! - Scene from the remake of "13 Ghosts":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBBMM...=1&safe=active
                              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Working...
                              X