Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People always read and interpret signs the way they want.

I have this infamous story of when I was a teen at the grocery store, and the store thought it would be a fabulous idea to offer these deals for several weeks, a different 4 items every week. For instance, one week, the four items would be a loaf of bread for like 18 cents, a 12 pack of Coke for $1.99, butter for 75 cents, a large bag of Doritos for $1, etc etc.

Anyway, the coupons were printed by the local newspaper. And, the writing was so small, people thought they could just have AS MANY of the 4 products as they wanted. Even though it only said one of each per customer.

That didn't stop managers from over-riding. People had carts overflowing in 12 packs of Coke and bags of Doritos and loaves of bread.

If that wasn't tacky enough, there were entire families who would all grab a cart each, and everyone got a cart full of what they wanted. One person who was paranoid but still wanted to get his way, kept changing his coat and coming back over and over for more stuff.

This was back in '03 or '04....and before extreme couponing was popular, so I have literally NO idea what these people all did with entire houses full of Coke and Doritos.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
      so I have literally NO idea what these people all did with entire houses full of Coke and Doritos.
      Well...Cokes will at least last a while, as long as you don't leave them out in a hot garage or something. The shelf life on chips isn't quite so long. (General indication -- If you see the chips representative stocking the bags, compare the current date to the expiration date and add about 40% of the difference. The total is about how long you can stretch the "still edible and tasty" date by, assuming that the bag remains unopened. This total time is seldom more than 5-7 weeks. Back in the day, tho, there was once a "good for you" type of chip with so many preservatives that its PRINTED shelf life was something like six months >_>)
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Terrible customers but great bosses!

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
          I have this infamous story of when I was a teen at the grocery store, and the store thought it would be a fabulous idea to offer these deals for several weeks, a different 4 items every week. For instance, one week, the four items would be a loaf of bread for like 18 cents, a 12 pack of Coke for $1.99, butter for 75 cents, a large bag of Doritos for $1, etc etc.

That didn't stop managers from over-riding. People had carts overflowing in 12 packs of Coke and bags of Doritos and loaves of bread.

If that wasn't tacky enough, there were entire families who would all grab a cart each, and everyone got a cart full of what they wanted. One person who was paranoid but still wanted to get his way, kept changing his coat and coming back over and over for more stuff.

This was back in '03 or '04....and before extreme couponing was popular, so I have literally NO idea what these people all did with entire houses full of Coke and Doritos.
          Maybe they ran a fast food place or convenience store, and the grocery store's sale price was lower than their normal supplier's. Last fall, one of our local discount grocery chains had a really good sale on 6-packs of 710 ml (24 ounce) bottles of Coke ($2.00 per 6 pack). Toward the end of the week, I stopped to get lunch at a Teryaki place that normally sold Coke in 591 ml (20 ounce) bottles and listed that size on their menu board - the Coke I bought turned out to be a 710 ml bottle.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            Maybe they ran a fast food place or convenience store, and the grocery store's sale price was lower than their normal supplier's.
            That sort of thing *cough AHEM* may or may not have ever happened back at DaddyJim's when we ran out of soft drinks a day or 2 before the delivery was due >_> We had a contract with the supplier to only carry <beverage maker>'s products and to ONLY get them direct from the bottling plant...Tho it makes me wonder, what the use of a exclusivity deal if they won't deliver on demand, AND charge us retail for the sodas?! Yes, this is why we charged something like $2 for a 20oz bottle and $3 or more for a 2-liter ten years ago -- OUR cost was $1 and $1.50 each, respectively >_<
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Can I steal your manager? Because that was awesome.

Comment

Quoth Zenova View Post
                SM: "We can go outside right now if you want, I wouldn't if I was you, unless you want your legs broken"
                SC puts back the chickens.

I want to have his babies.

And welcome! Have some rum

Comment

Your manager and me have similar mindsets. I called the bluff of a "settle this outside" dickhead once at the movie theater.

Him: "You better watch your back when you leave tonight, man!"
                  J2K: "Tell you what, I'm on break in ten minutes, how 'bout I meet you outside?"
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                  X