No announcement yet.

The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here we are supposed to work from home if at all possible.
    Construction workers and key workers are still supposed to go to their place of work.

I have an office job in construction.
    Management is therefore still expecting us to come in "as Construction is exempt".
    Dear manager, Construction is 'exempt' as bricklayers can't work from home!

Comment

• Quoth Smapti View Post
      Our governor announced a new 4-week shutdown today, and the people who panic-shopped eight months ago apparently learned nothing, because they were all back today buying out all our toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and canned foods. When I walked in at 11 we had a line going all the way to the back of the store and wrapping around to the other corner,
      I'm in the same state as you, and I suppose it's good to know it's not just my dumb town going through another unnecessary round of panic buying. Today I happened to be going past Costco about when they were set to open. I nearly couldn't make it through the light BEFORE the one where you make the turn to get to Costco. It's even a two lane turn, that was totally full.

I'm nearly out of rice, I'll be pissed if it's all sold out again. Yeah maybe I should have bough more sooner, or gotten a bigger bag but I guess I wasn't paying attention to the rising numbers as much as I should have been. I'm really burned out on the news and have been avoiding it as much as possible.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• We're back down to immediate bubble only and no non-essential travel. $200-2000 fines if you're caught being a dumbass.

Comment

• Our governor has said that he's not going to consider further restrictions. The "mask mandate" is useless if fines are not enforced and doled out...and the "medical exemption" is equally useless (someone who doesn't want to wear a mask can just say they have a medical condition, no proof needed).
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Your governor has a point. A friend said to me "Honestly, I think we're all going to get it." I don't like that I agree. I'll still do what I can to protect people from me but I think we might be past the point of no return. Now that I've moved I have to drive 10 miles to see my doc, 7 or 8 to the Grocery Store That Has Everything, 10 miles to Tar-ghay, etc. So I try to combine trips. I know that's not far, especially considering I'm from SoCal originally, but all my driving has been in small-city Wisconsin and I just don't want to get on that freeway every other day. So going up a couple of times a month is fine with me and it keeps me home more which is good. Incidentally, I have 3 Tar-ghays kind of close.
            Two are in basically the same city north of me, one on the far west end and the other the far east end. The third is the college town south of me. All three are about 20 minutes drive. I miss being 5 minutes from one. The closest thing we have is Kohl's. Oh, and that's funny--town north? They have two, one on the north end and one on the east end. And I'm sure the college town has one. And our itty bitty city has one. LOL, taking over the midwest, they are. I'm just glad it's just across town so I can return stuff. I guess it defeats the purpose of online ordering to have to go into a store to return, but I'd have to go to the Fedex store for the label (no printer) and then run it to the post office anyway. I just mask everywhere I go.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• Quoth MadMike View Post
              One thing I haven't been able to find in forever is rubbing alcohol.
              There's a DIY hand sanitizer recipe with aloe vera, rubbing alcohol, peroxide and something else. That could explain the alcohol shortage...also the surge in my customers buying whole aloe leaves (some whackaloon here has been spreading the word that aloe is a cure for Covid...whether that's a cause or consequence of the Great Aloe Panic one will never know ).

I'm picky about hand sanitizers ever since the FDA released a list of tainted brands.
              Quoth Food Lady View Post
              Your governor has a point. A friend said to me "Honestly, I think we're all going to get it." I just mask everywhere I go.
              Exactly. We all do what we can. I just wish we could refuse to serve (or outright kick out) the idjits with their noses hanging out. As it is now, a CDH panders to the SC...their thinking is that we're masked so why worry? (it's not so much that, but very much the principle...they break the rules, others see them doing it so they all get the idea that we aren't enforcing anything and it snowballs; we could get fined/shut down if word spreads that we're letting people shop without a proper mask).
              Last edited by Dreamstalker; 11-17-2020, 12:58 PM.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• I had a very hard time finding rubbing alcohol the first few months. And people were price gouging online which I spent a couple of hours reporting. Mid-summer it was available at one of the grocery stores, limited. Now it's unlimited there. I have always carried a spray bottle for sanitizing things and pre-treating stains. I also make DIY countertop cleaner and clean my phone with it.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• Quoth EricKei View Post
                  I am so, so sorry

passes the wine
                  Much thanks.

We were super busy last night the first part of my shift, so I don't know if this is the beginning of the panic or what. Luckily the rest of the evening was pretty slow.
                  I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

• I just re-read this entire thread. Its like a daily diary of the end of the world, and its not over yet.

Hand sanitizer is cheap and easy to find now. Last time hubs was in the store he bought a couple of quarts BOGO in case I can't find what I need to make nicer stuff.

Today at the gas station, where I KNOW they sell hand sanitizer AND have it out on the counter for customers to use, I watched someone cover his hand with a plastic grocery bag while pumping gas. I also watched someone else using tissues to protect her hands from touching the pump. Hubs did neither, he used his bare hands and when he was done held his hand out to me so I could squirt a glob of sanitizer in his hand.

Shelves are starting to get bare again, its not quite panic buying yet, but I could see the slightest thing pushing people over the edge.

Comment

• Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post

Today at the gas station, where I KNOW they sell hand sanitizer AND have it out on the counter for customers to use, I watched someone cover his hand with a plastic grocery bag while pumping gas. I also watched someone else using tissues to protect her hands from touching the pump. Hubs did neither, he used his bare hands and when he was done held his hand out to me so I could squirt a glob of sanitizer in his hand.
                      I used to keep a box of gloves in my car to use at gas stations... I've backed off and now just sanitize aggressively.
                      Of course, it is now looking really likely that my husband and I actually have covid (he definitely does and we are waiting for me to be able to test) so if I find out it is because we stopped wearing gloves to get gas
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

• Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                        so if I find out it is because we stopped wearing gloves to get gas
                        Highly unlikely, unless you licked your fingers afterwards,,,

Hoping you're clear and your husband has a quick & full recovery.
                        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                        Save the Ales!
                        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

• I also doubt you got it because you stopped using gloves.

A friend called me a little while ago to tell me about a SC in line in front of her who was having a meltdown because the cashier made him put his sock money on the counter, then sprayed it down with disinfectant, put gloves on before turning the money over and spraying the back side before touching it.

I wish I had been there to watch, my friend is small but fearless and uses her words like sharp knives. She also knows how to project her voice so SC could clearly hear her from 6 feet away.

Ya think things were nuts before? I predict totally batshit crazy around the middle of December.

Comment

• Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                            Ya think things were nuts before? I predict totally batshit crazy around the middle of December.
                            I figure it'll be Fallout 4 by Christmas.

Comment

• I went to one of the Wally Worlds near me late last week to pick up some stuff for myself and a family member, bought some toilet paper and some paper towels for the both of us just to be on the safe side. Went to the same store earlier today before work and there was not one roll of either one on the shelves, so everyone's buying the stuff up again. I'm thankful I, and most of my family, really doesn't need to go out and buy either paper towels or TP right now.

I'm hoping that things don't get crazy at the Grocery Store with the holidays right around the corner, but one never knows.
                              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

• My "lovely" Governor is going on the boob tube tonight, and make some new restrictions on businesses in the state.

Here's the list I got from a State Representative:

Bars and restaurants - take out only.
                                Youth Sports - Indoor stopped. Outdoor - no effect
                                No changes to big box stores.

The last time this was tried, my restaurant - now closed - sales were down 90%.

Not a good situation.

Also, I had to go to Sam's Club yesterday, and had to wear a shield. I haven't had to wear it since my business closed, and even then - only wore it when dealing with customers - maybe a minute at a time at most.
                                I think I now know what panic attacks are. I felt like I was being burred alive. I was shaking, and grinding my teeth. It took every ounce of strength not to rip it off and smash it to bits. It took me several hours to recover, and may have taken several beers as well.
                                "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Working...
                                X